Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta G 2013

The secret to happiness is not to do what makes you happy, it's to be happy doing what you're already doing. by Anonymous

I am happiest in the garden.

Gee Wiz Everybody! Show me your Gs:

24 degrees in Jax! Cold to me Ken.

Grand Prize a great color changer.

Comments (111)

• igmommy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ginko Craig

Grand Marque

Geisha

Golden Prayers

Gold Regal

My all green Guacamole

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Looks like your 'Guacamole' wants to be a 'Fried Green Tomatoes', Keana. I have one that did the same thing : )

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

My favorite Guacamole shot.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Your 'Guacamole' seems to love Texas, BKay. It looks absolutely fantastic!

My 'Great Arrival' has aspirations of looking like Steve's. I think it's getting there. I cheated and planted a second one with the larger plant.

Don B.

• Lee
    10 years ago

Golden Meadows in the spring

Gold Standard

And GE

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    10 years ago

Guacamole

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Golden Meadows' in May...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

...and in September.

Don B.

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Golden Meadows has always been one I've wanted. Maybe this year.

Lot's of nice pictures of Guacamole. While my Guac is large in diameter, the leaves have never achieved the size of the first picture of Guacamole featured in the hosta library. What has your experience been?

Teresa

• hosta-see
    10 years ago

MadPlanter1 was your mad fling had to have it purchase of Gunthers Prize a OS plant, do you know how it came to be? I know GP has the potential to revert and if OS was less likely to revert than some other source of existence

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Golden Tiara

I think this is the hosta that got me hooked! It is a great grower under my maple tree. I always have plenty to share.

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Guardian Angel

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Guardian Angel leaf

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Teresa,
    My Guacamole is quite large. I would call the leafs medium sized.

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

Harry - did you look at the pic at the hosta library with the woman's hand in it for comparison? That is a really large leaf.

Teresa

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Hosta-see,

I think the only way to get Gunther's Prize is as OS, which is why it's so expensive. As far as I know it's not stable enough to tissue culture.

The guy I got it from warned me it tends to stabilize into a green leaf with a narrow white border, but he's managed to keep his going well enough to divide and sell, so (fingers crossed) it can't be that hard to grow.

At least my plant was "only" $80. The Gunther who bought it at auction REALLY paid big bucks for it.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Had to run out and take a picture of this hosta as the sun shone on it. It brought me joy to look at it from my kitchen window. Grown in a pot. Picture taken end of September.

10 years ago

I am fond of this cute one.

10 years ago

Some nice maturing Goodness Gracious photos shown. This hosta attracts your attention. It's got nice thick leaves too.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

H. 'Great Expectations' ... Got sun till 2p.m. and took it like a trooper! Love it, love it, love it!

10 years ago

GE in October - almost white.

10 years ago

H. 'Ginsu Knife' ... New in 2013 and obviously a vigorous grower - kept flushing new growth throughout the season.

10 years ago

GK in October

10 years ago

H. 'Golden Scepter' ... Grows like gangbusters! Have five of them. This one was being divided last summer.

10 years ago

H. 'Golden Sunburst' ... a sport of FW that got culled this summer. It's a gorgeous colour - not quite gold, not quite pale green ... Somewhere in-between.

10 years ago

Here is GS after separation.

10 years ago

H. 'Gingko Craig' in August...it fed some hungry slugs!

My Golden Tiara will look better next year...she underwent division this year too. Guacamole is just a young 2013 model and Guardian Angel was a new division also. It will be an exciting spring to watch them all emerge.

10 years ago

One more Great Ex.

10 years ago

Who can resist those leaves?

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Here are some gorgeous H.'Goodness Gracious' shown. I have a small one.
    I notice various shades of h.'Great Expectations'. I believe this is not only due to soild and light conditions. I have one darker one and several brighter ones, all beautiful. Bernd

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Gemstone

Golden Meadows

Gone with the Wind

Goodness Gracious

Grand Canyon

Gretchen’s Grace

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Old Dirt, you say that's a $1.00 plant? Will it survive, you ask? I'll bet it not only will survive, but will add new eyes to the clump. Now, if it were, say, a $25.00 or $30.00 plant, it would certainly perish!! : )

Cheers,
    Don B.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

I believe you're onto something there Don...LOL...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL Old Dirt, Ken wrote something once, to the effect of (Paraphrasing) 'The cheap ones will grow on the driveway, but a new, expensive one has a good chance of dying in your car on the way home with it'

Something like that, Ken? I'm thinking that statement was confirmed by personal experience with some touchy collector (read: EXPENSIVE) varieties.

Don B.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

I am liking the look of Guardian angel, have not seen a hosta in those colours before. It may just have to go on the ever growing list.

I have a hosta called Ground Master any one got any pics of it?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I'm sorry Denis, I can't help with any 'Ground Master' pics as I don't have it, but may I offer a couple of 'Guardian Angel' leaf shots as consolation gifts?

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

The other one...

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Just emerging in May.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Artsy-fartsy shot!! Yep, 'Guardian Angel', I agree, is a great one. You'll love it, Denis.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Found another good picture.

Great Expectations & Guacamole!

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

10 years ago

Thanks Don, so it starts brash, bright and cheerfull and gets more moody as the season progresses, I like it!

looks a bit streaky, could it be the gateway drug to liking streakers? lol

Does yours get the lovely grey tones of Terri9094's one above? Does it need more shade for that?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Actually Denis, my 'Guardian Angel' stays the same as you see it, with the tinting in the blue spectrum. . I find Terri's specimen very cool and interesting, too. I've no idea whether it's because of different light conditions or what, but I like it.

Don B.

10 years ago

Ok Don, thanks thats good to know, Terri is in zone 5a and you in 6a so.....eh I donno. Every pic I have seen of it looks different a bit like June, suppose I just gotta suck it n see. lol

Terri whats the secret to the beautiful colour?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Suck it n see -- You mean like the Arctic Monkeys, Denis?

Don B.

10 years ago

Lol Don, I had to google that, I am a bit out of touch with popular culture ! but yes, I think!

My daffodils and snowdrops are showing above ground, spring is just around the corner or so I am telling myself.

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Thanks guys!

My Guardian Angel is on the east side of the house with a maple tree filtering the morning light. After 11am, it is pretty much in light shade, in the shadow of the house.

At first I didn't like GA, thought it was an ugly plant--before I got hooked! Then, year 3, it did the leap and became one of my favorites! Those pictures above are of year 4. I like the grey-green, with ripples!

Here is a picture of year I planted it.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Daffodils already?? Wow!

Don B.

10 years ago

Thanks Terri, ok so not deep deep shade then, Ya there is a pic of a young one on the library and it is nothing to get worked up about but the more mature ones are fantastic, am loving the grey/green tones of it.

Don, ya some daffs are up a couple of inches already, the snowdrops will be out in about a week or two.

• User
    10 years ago

Donna's Grape Fizz has "the look" of those big shoe soles of fragrant hosta, doesn't it! Beautiful. I'm hoping my two will wind up with that healthy look similar to hers.

Of course, the king of Guacamole has outdone himself with his army of Guacs. I was inspired to acquire about 4 more to be delivered this spring. Never can have too much of a good thing.

Well, let me see. I got way behind with my alphabet due to illness...nothing serious, but strept throat requires some down time, with achy eyes and headaches to boot. So now I'm playing catchup. The sun is shining, it promises to be a lovely day.

Gentle Spirit. Ordered near dormancy in October 2013. No track record yet, but it came from Casita Azul.

Georgia Sweetheart. Now this one had an almost orange midleaf, sort of peachy I suppose. I sure do like it. From Naylor. Here it is with friends in May 2013.

Ginsu Knife, one of two that I now have. In bloom in July.
    {{gwi:916798}}

Gold Drop, two of them from GreenMt.. Remind me of a gold Blue Cadet or Banyai's Dancing Girl. Where they are got a lot of sun all day long, very little shade from that short potted palm.
    {{gwi:916799}}

Gold Standard...I have two from Mason Hollow in NH.
    Blooming in July.

Golden Meadows, with tender color in May...from Naylor.

Golden Tiara nestled at the base of the variegated aspidistra. Taken in July, it was some greener than originally.

Goodness Gracious from Hallsons...isn't it GORGEOUS?

Gosan Sunproof took our summer in stride, but as you see some leaf damage from pecans and sweetgum balls and maybe some worms....before the birds found the problem. From Hallsons.
    {{gwi:916804}}

Grand Tiara...one from WadeGatton, one from Savorys

Grape Fizz....from Solberg

Great River Sonata from WadeGatton...supposedly same as Sagae, but I'm growing it anyway. Fragrant I sure hope.

Green Summer Fragrance, renamed to be MASCOUTEN, one of Van Wade's Native American tribes.

Grey Ghost, new in July 2013 from Naylor Creek

Gypsy Rose from Naylor

and that's all folks.