Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta G 2014

I saw a sign that said "watch for children" and I thought, "That sounds like a fair trade."

Gemini Moon, spring

Comments (123)

• esox48
    9 years ago

Gold Standard....

{{gwi:2127863}}

• esox48
    9 years ago

Golden Sculpture....

• esox48
    9 years ago

Guacamole....

• esox48
    9 years ago

Great Expectations. This is not my hosta but gives an idea of what could happen if you planted it in the right place....a gravel road. Taken at the Winter Nursery near Hayward, Wisconsin.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

Ilovetogrow,

Your Guardian Angel may turn out okay. Two years ago half of one of my Guardian Angels was all green. I removed the offending half and planted it at the edge of the woods. Well lo and behold the following year it appeared normal as shown in the photo below.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Here's your next 2015 acquisition!

Georgia Sweetheart in May

Georgia Sweetheart in June

Closeup of Georgia Sweetheart leaf

Golden Cascade
    {{gwi:2127864}}

Golden Meadows
    {{gwi:2127865}}

Guacamole

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

LOVE Golden Sculpture....beautiful form, texture and color.

Funn, you're probably right. Georgia Sweetheart will likely become a '15 acquisition. *sigh*

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Generous Jeff.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Grand Prize

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Hosta takeover, tell us about Generous Jeff. I didn't find it in the Hosta Library.

bk

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

No, it isn't in the Library....yet, anyway.

Jeff Miller kindly gifted this beauty to me last summer. Said I could name it and register it, so I named it after Jeff and his generous spirit.

Do Hostas have to be in the Library to be displayed here? I have others that I purchased that are so new they aren't listed yet.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You can display any hostas that you wish just let us know if they are new so we don't spent time trying to buy one. I liked Generous Jeff. Real nice upright. Off my wish list. LOL Paula

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Aahhh, okay Paula, thank you for explaining. This is my first year participating in this fun game so I'm not familiar with the rules.

Glad you liked Generous Jeff. I wasn't sure if I was the only one seeing its beauty because I'm so....well....biased towards it. He let me choose of many different ones that he was tossing and that was the one that caught my eye. Love it's size, veins, form and ripples!

Sadly, because I live so much further south, that photo will likely be the only time it's seen that tall. It'll probably come back considerably shorter this year. The heat here stunts everything! I'll still love it anyway, though. :)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Goodness Gracious.

9 years ago

I plucked my potted Great Arrival down between the unfurling Atlantis (on the left) and Paul's Glory on the right). Everything looks so fresh in the spring.

9 years ago

Great Expectations.

9 years ago

GE leaf shot.

9 years ago

I purchased this Great Expectations in 2013. It did really well this year---nice big leaves. You can compare it's size with Blue Mouse Ears just below it in the picture.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Guacamole

Gold Standard

• irawon
    9 years ago

No one's posted GOOBER yet, so I will. It's listed as a very small in Don Rawson's lists. It may be green and small but I like it...doing well with tree root competition. I'm usually drawn to the yellows and blues but am starting to appreciate the different attributes within all the greens.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

irawon - You are giving me ideas! I am so glad you posted Goober. I think it and Hideout would go nicely together, then a nice smooth leaf of something gold (Crumb Cake would have been perfect, used it already). lol!
    Any chance you have a pic of Crumb Cake?

• irawon
    9 years ago

Peren.all, I do have a picture of Crumb Cake. I made the mistake of planting it with green leaved perennials though. When CC turns green and the perennials no longer flower , it disappears. Does yours remain yellow? Tiny Bubbles is a nice yellow with strappy leaves that retains the yellow better for me. I'll remember to post a pic with the Ts.

I'm posting Crumb Cake with the Cs.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

What's left? How about Golden Waffles:

{{gwi:2127866}}

Steve

• irawon
    9 years ago

Steve, nice contrasting colours in your picture. I like the way the the white-edged hosta, top right, picks up the white of the hydrangea (?). Glad you posted GW. Do you have a pic with it in flower?

No one's shown GOSAN LEATHER STRAP, which I picked up in 2009. The thing that attracted me to it, was the long strap-like leaves. It's a vigorous grower. I now have 5 plants. The leaves widened quite a bit.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Three younger GOSAN LEATHER STRAPS with the leaves in various stages of development.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

I have a lot to catch up on. I have not been able to log into Flicker with Yahoo since New Years Day. I will limit my contribution to a few.

{{gwi:2127867}}

{{gwi:2127868}}

{{gwi:2127869}}

New
    {{gwi:2127870}}

{{gwi:2127871}}

{{gwi:2127872}}

{{gwi:2127873}}

Pictures are Gemini Moon, Gin and Tonic, Ginsu Knife, Glamour, Glory, Golden Goal, Green Gables

9 years ago

mctavish6 - Awesome as always. Gin and Tonic is particularly attractive.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Was wondering if you had died Myrle! Was missing all your beauties too. Glad to see you back again

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Thanks, irawon, for the comments on Golden Waffles. I had to go back a few years to find a pic with it in bloom (below).

McT, your Gemini Moon and Gin and Tonic are stunners.

And wow, everyone, it is really worthwhile going over this page two or three times.

{{gwi:2127874}}

Steve

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Love your Gin and Tonic, Mctavish! It's on my list for '15. Glamor is eye-catching, as well. GREAT shot of the Ginsu Knife flower.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Goodness Gracious

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Faye,

Just an FYI. H. Grand Master and H. Christmas Tree are the same plant. Grand Master was the original name given by Kevin Vaughn.

Here's one that hasn't been posted.

Glacier Cascade (first year)
    {{gwi:2127875}}

A few others.

Grand Canyon
    {{gwi:2127876}}

Great Lakes Gold
    {{gwi:2127877}}

This is a seedling that I call H. Greenbush Line

Steve

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Steve, those are some cool and different Hostas you have there. Great shots! LOVE Grand Canyon and have now added that to my '15 Must Have list.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Gee Steve_Mass, I'm really disappointed that some of your pictures have been replaced by question marks... so wanted to see your 'Grand Canyon'.

What's going on? Am I the only one experiencing this?

9 years ago

I am not seeing question marks, but I am seeing green peg board over most of H. Greenbush Line.(which is a great looking seedling) I have seen this before on some of his other pics.

9 years ago

I have no difficulty seeing Steve's pictures from my laptop computer.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Steve, your pics are back and your shot of Grand Canyon is awesome... it really shows the ripples well. I like the way you've sited it too...amongst the rocks.

Wow! Greenbush Line is a looker, Steve

I guess I'll have to take my computer to the Apple Store for some upgrades.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Hmmm. I'm using Flickr and all were taken with a Sony DSC HX100v point and shoot camera. No iPhones on those guys. I'll post the address to my Flickr account below so you can take a look at any of my pictures. Be forewarned there are a lot.

Here's another one:
    Guardian Angel
    {{gwi:2127878}}

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Flickr Pics

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Golden Goal (behind) Twilight in front

• irawon
    9 years ago

Steve, thanks for the link. I loved the tour. I'll probably go back a 2nd and third time to take down some names.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Steve, wow, what a fantastic selection of pics and hostas, I really like Frank Lloyd Wright.

Denis

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Gemini Moon
    {{gwi:2127879}}

Glamour (1st year)
    {{gwi:2127880}}

Gold Standard (at shady place)
    {{gwi:2127881}}

Golden Meadows
    {{gwi:2127882}}
    {{gwi:2127883}}

Gold Regal (in spring)
    {{gwi:2127884}}

Gold Edger?
    {{gwi:2127885}}

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Goodness Gracious (after arrival)
    {{gwi:2127886}}

Great Escape
    {{gwi:2127887}}
    {{gwi:2127888}}

Green Acres
    {{gwi:2127889}}

Green Eyes
    {{gwi:2127890}}

Guardian Angel

Gypsy Rose
    {{gwi:2127891}}

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

Bennie, What beautiful photos! All your plants are perfect. I even like Guardian Angel which I'm usually not a fan of. I hope my Gypsy Rose someday gets as beautiful as yours. Keep posting, Myrle (McTavish)

• marta_in_qc z4
    9 years ago

I love seeing so many photos of Guacamole. Here is one of mine.

• marta_in_qc z4
    9 years ago

Guacamole bloom.
    (edited to reattach photo)

This post was edited by Marta_in_QC on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 16:40

• marta_in_qc z4
    9 years ago

Grand Slam. Big effort from a very young plant!

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Thank you mctavish6.
    I 'discovered' hostas in 2009, no plant is older. I don't show pics from end of August: slugs. :-\

• hosta-see
    9 years ago

Here's my Gunther's Prize in its first season, I have it in full sun until early afternoon.

• Eleven
    8 years ago

Sorry I'm late to the party for last year's hosta pics!

Gemstone

Grand Prize