Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Mini 2013

Posted by ilovetogrow 9 Jax Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 4:40

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? by George Carlin How true!

Esther started a fantastic thread this summer on minis. I too am starting to collect them as are many others. This will be a great way to add to our wish lists. Post any letter just as long as it is a mini. Have a great day! I am off to work. Paula

Ginko Craig first year

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Mini 2013

'Frosted Mouse Ears'

o

No guarantees that these are actually 'minis'! Perhaps they just stay small in my garden. This requires further research.
Jan

Blue Mouse Ears

H.'Blue Mouse Ears' photo june62012009.jpg

Baby Bunting

Baby Bunting photo hostarollcallJuly2013051_zpsf1d96de0.jpg

Pandora's Box

Pandora's Box photo hostarollcallJuly2013052_zpsdc50ab53.jpg

Twist of Lime
Twist of Lime photo hostarollcallJuly2013054_zpsf322a4c0.jpg

Cracker Crumbs
Cracker Crumbs photo hostarollcallJuly2013073_zpsc4954777.jpg

Mini NOID!
NOID (Aylmer mini) photo summergarden005_zpsb62f5abd.jpg

Spartan Arrow

Spartan Arrow photo hostas-cottage2013010_zps7b6676c3.jpg

Dragon Tails
Dragon Tails photo hostarollcallJuly2013042_zps9864ad54.jpg

This post was edited by Jan.ON on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 10:39

o

venusta

o

Well it's +4 degrees at 11 AM so can't wait till spring to plant my minis. No pics , just got them this past summer and fall, are in pots in the garage till then. Blue Mouse Ears, Frosted Mouse Ears, Frosted Mini Hearts, Cameo and Hideout. Ordering more this spring. I love them.

o

Well it's +4 degrees at 11 AM so can't wait till spring to plant my minis. No pics , just got them this past summer and fall, are in pots in the garage till then. Blue Mouse Ears, Frosted Mouse Ears, Frosted Mini Hearts, Cameo and Hideout. Ordering more this spring. I love them.

o

ROYAL MOUSE EARS

o

That Frosted Mouse Ears is a beaut, Dansgrdn.

Jan, you sure have a lot of minis. I am liking that Spartan Arrow!

Blue Mouse Ears is considered a small in the Hosta Library. But I do see it listed as a mini on different sites.

My only mini:

o

For most of the pictures I've included the mini's with other plants to get a sense of size. I'm surprised Feather Boa is considered a Mini rather than small. It's a great grower for me. The first picture is my only 'drift' two same plants beside each other. They seem to work with this mini rose The Fairy.

Feather Boa 7-8-13 (82)

6-3-13  (205)

7-12-13 (16)

6-13-13 (155)

6-3-13  (210)

6-1-13 (56)

7-6-13 (52)

This post was edited by mctavish6 on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 14:33

o

Twist of Lime

o

The girls

o

Moonstruck

o

LS Scamp

o

Tot Tot

o

Chartreuse Wiggles

o

Oze

o

Had to stay home today because my radiators were not working and it was something like -9 deg wind chill outside. I had to wait around til about 4 p.m. for one of the maintenance guys to show up to bleed all the radiators. Meanwhile, there I was in double-everything, a winter hat (in my home!!), winter boots and still cold. What to do? Look at online catalogs!! I've been poring over the "New for 2014" sections of all the familiar suspects. And seeing all these scrumptious minis here just caused me to salivate. A bit of Kleenex will clean up your screens, don't worry.

And THEN...the bone-chilling cold (my body temp even dropped) was not enough---there was an outage of internet service. Argh! I couldn't even get online for a while to go pore over hostas and heuchies. Fortunately, the internet came back online after not too long and I was back in business, waiting for the maintenance guy.

Thanks for posting all these delicious minis. Some of which might successfully be squeezed into my inch-by-inch.

o

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 11:21

These are just little fellas :)

Holy Mouse Ears
Frosted Mouse Ears
Flamenco Mouse

P8310029

Baby Bunting
Pandora's Box
Cameo

P6230011

o

I am late....almost missed this! In 2011 I started running out if space, but still wanted more hosta...so I decided I would add to my two existing minis, which were BME and HME. I now have 11 of the little cuties and will no doubt find more to add to this collection. I also added more smalls in the last two years and realized I have room for more!

Now that I am trying to grow some in pots, a new world of possibilities has opened up for me! To all the officianados in the "pot-head realm", I thank you for your invaluable posts...wherein lie words of wisdom, experience and expertise!

Leading my mini parade is...'Blue Mouse Ears' ...purchased the year it was touted Hosta of the Year.

o

'Holy Mouse Ears'

o

From lower left...'Limey Lisa', 'Silver Threads and Golden Needles', 'Cherish', STAGN again, then 'Cameo'.

o

'Kifukurin Otome Ki'

o

'Cracker Crumbs'

o

'Tiny Tears' ... Bought it last year, near end of season, doesn't look so good colour-wise, but big enough to suit me! Can't wait to see it emerge!

o

Here is it's mama at the grower's. Now you understand why I picked up the kid! :-)

o

'Hydon Sunset'...I divided last year...here's a piece...yellow one.

o

'Baby Bunting' ... Rescued a fallen one-root baby from daughter's plant...nice growth effort in one season...such a miracle to me I've just got to post before and after, ok?

o

The tenacity of a young hosta...the after for Baby Bunting :-). Can't imagine what I'll see this spring! Hope springs eternal, to quote our own KEN.

o

I got a Blue Mouse Ears last year (my first mini) but still in original pot, buried under leaves. I also got a Surfer Girl, is that considered a mini or just small?

Thought I'd put this pic out, these are not real minis, just a few volunteers I put in the pot and have stayed this small for 3 years now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here