Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Mini 2013

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? by George Carlin How true!

Esther started a fantastic thread this summer on minis. I too am starting to collect them as are many others. This will be a great way to add to our wish lists. Post any letter just as long as it is a mini. Have a great day! I am off to work. Paula

Ginko Craig first year

Comments (28)

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

'Frosted Mouse Ears'

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

No guarantees that these are actually 'minis'! Perhaps they just stay small in my garden. This requires further research.
    Jan

Blue Mouse Ears

Baby Bunting

Pandora's Box

Twist of Lime

Cracker Crumbs

Mini NOID!

Spartan Arrow

Dragon Tails

This post was edited by Jan.ON on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 10:39

• hostanista
    10 years ago

venusta

• JANE100
    10 years ago

Well it's +4 degrees at 11 AM so can't wait till spring to plant my minis. No pics , just got them this past summer and fall, are in pots in the garage till then. Blue Mouse Ears, Frosted Mouse Ears, Frosted Mini Hearts, Cameo and Hideout. Ordering more this spring. I love them.

• JANE100
    10 years ago

Well it's +4 degrees at 11 AM so can't wait till spring to plant my minis. No pics , just got them this past summer and fall, are in pots in the garage till then. Blue Mouse Ears, Frosted Mouse Ears, Frosted Mini Hearts, Cameo and Hideout. Ordering more this spring. I love them.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

ROYAL MOUSE EARS

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

That Frosted Mouse Ears is a beaut, Dansgrdn.

Jan, you sure have a lot of minis. I am liking that Spartan Arrow!

Blue Mouse Ears is considered a small in the Hosta Library. But I do see it listed as a mini on different sites.

My only mini:

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

For most of the pictures I've included the mini's with other plants to get a sense of size. I'm surprised Feather Boa is considered a Mini rather than small. It's a great grower for me. The first picture is my only 'drift' two same plants beside each other. They seem to work with this mini rose The Fairy.

This post was edited by mctavish6 on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 14:33

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Twist of Lime

Original Author
    10 years ago

The girls

Original Author
    10 years ago

Moonstruck

Original Author
    10 years ago

LS Scamp

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Tot Tot

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Chartreuse Wiggles

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

Oze

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Had to stay home today because my radiators were not working and it was something like -9 deg wind chill outside. I had to wait around til about 4 p.m. for one of the maintenance guys to show up to bleed all the radiators. Meanwhile, there I was in double-everything, a winter hat (in my home!!), winter boots and still cold. What to do? Look at online catalogs!! I've been poring over the "New for 2014" sections of all the familiar suspects. And seeing all these scrumptious minis here just caused me to salivate. A bit of Kleenex will clean up your screens, don't worry.

And THEN...the bone-chilling cold (my body temp even dropped) was not enough---there was an outage of internet service. Argh! I couldn't even get online for a while to go pore over hostas and heuchies. Fortunately, the internet came back online after not too long and I was back in business, waiting for the maintenance guy.

Thanks for posting all these delicious minis. Some of which might successfully be squeezed into my inch-by-inch.

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

These are just little fellas :)

Holy Mouse Ears
    Frosted Mouse Ears
    Flamenco Mouse

Baby Bunting
    Pandora's Box
    Cameo

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I am late....almost missed this! In 2011 I started running out if space, but still wanted more hosta...so I decided I would add to my two existing minis, which were BME and HME. I now have 11 of the little cuties and will no doubt find more to add to this collection. I also added more smalls in the last two years and realized I have room for more!

Now that I am trying to grow some in pots, a new world of possibilities has opened up for me! To all the officianados in the "pot-head realm", I thank you for your invaluable posts...wherein lie words of wisdom, experience and expertise!

Leading my mini parade is...'Blue Mouse Ears' ...purchased the year it was touted Hosta of the Year.

10 years ago

'Holy Mouse Ears'

10 years ago

From lower left...'Limey Lisa', 'Silver Threads and Golden Needles', 'Cherish', STAGN again, then 'Cameo'.

10 years ago

'Kifukurin Otome Ki'

10 years ago

'Cracker Crumbs'

10 years ago

'Tiny Tears' ... Bought it last year, near end of season, doesn't look so good colour-wise, but big enough to suit me! Can't wait to see it emerge!

10 years ago

Here is it's mama at the grower's. Now you understand why I picked up the kid! :-)

10 years ago

'Hydon Sunset'...I divided last year...here's a piece...yellow one.

10 years ago

'Baby Bunting' ... Rescued a fallen one-root baby from daughter's plant...nice growth effort in one season...such a miracle to me I've just got to post before and after, ok?

10 years ago

The tenacity of a young hosta...the after for Baby Bunting :-). Can't imagine what I'll see this spring! Hope springs eternal, to quote our own KEN.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

I got a Blue Mouse Ears last year (my first mini) but still in original pot, buried under leaves. I also got a Surfer Girl, is that considered a mini or just small?

Thought I'd put this pic out, these are not real minis, just a few volunteers I put in the pot and have stayed this small for 3 years now.