Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta E 2014

Elegans.

I was having a huge pop-up problem this morning. Ellen and the Drs would not go away. Off to work for the last weekend. I will be glad when this startup is over. I need a nap.

Comments (75)

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Steve - Love your Earth Angel and Ebb Tide.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

That Empress WU sure is stunning...is that golden colour due to approaching dormancy?

Ebb Tide is gorgeous. Glad to see one.

Last year I only had one E. This year I added Electrocution to keep English Sunrise company. Both sets of pics show an August, then an end of May shot.

9 years ago

English Sunrise - such a sturdy yet pretty hosta. Everyone should have one! I've had her since 2012, she has been moved once. Too bad I moved her...approaching year three in the garden...excited to see any difference in spring...maybe she will still leap despite me! Lol

• prairie_love
    9 years ago

Another El Nino

{{gwi:2128200}}

• esox48
    9 years ago

Elegans and friends...

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

How do you tell the difference between ELEGANS and BLUE MAMMOTH?

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Empress Wu, a view looking down from the deck
    {{gwi:2128201}}

Enduring Beacon, yellow young one on the left
    {{gwi:2128202}}

Eye Declare
    {{gwi:2128203}}

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Elephant Bugers

Original Author
    9 years ago

Emerald Ruff Cut

Original Author
    9 years ago

Emerald Tiara

Original Author
    9 years ago

Erie Magic

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

ilovetogrow -- Hope this means you got your nap in!

sunnywood-- "How do you tell the difference between ELEGANS and BLUE MAMMOTH?"
    They are similar. Blue Mammoth is a little unruly with 18-20 vein pairs.
    Elegans has 16-18 vein pairs (not much help if you see the two of them with 18)
    Elegans has a short leaf tip that is quite distinct.
    Hopefully this helped.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Sorry to bore with another pic of Earth Angel but I think this is the only "E" I took a picture of this year. Plus, IMHO EA is so pretty it's worth seeing again and again.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Elizabeth

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Elvis Lives

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Emerald Crown

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Empress Wu ( left hand corner)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Elegans yet again
    dave

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Elatior

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I'm like mbug---you got to have one Earth Angel in the ground . . .

9 years ago

And one in a pot.

• irawon
    9 years ago

I love the repeats because it helps me put the name with the hosta and shows me how you've used them in the landscape. I don't have many Es. So, now you guys have convinced me that I need an Earth Angel since I started a new bed.

Jo, I concur. I really like Steve's Ebb Tide. Like you, I bought an Electrocution this year. I've moved it once already... I'm having trouble with its placement. Yours looks good with English Sunrise, maybe I'll move it again. I bought English Sunrise in 2011, then found out I had another just like it (May).

I haven't been interested in getting Empress Wu because I thought it was a green one. Some of yours look very blue.

Here's my EMERALD RUFF CUT

This post was edited by irawon on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 19:55

• irawon
    9 years ago

Peren.all that's a wonderful setting for your 'El Nino'.

9 years ago

Emerald Ruff Cut is on my Want List. The photos above have confirmed that I have made the right choice! Irawon, you have captured ERC just perfectly!

9 years ago

Irawon, like you, I'll likely move it from where it is. ð For now I just plunked it there to get it in the ground before the winter and out of its tiny pot. It doesn't look bad there, fits for now...but it looks like a good grower...so .. Lol

What a coincidence! I saw a 'May' back in 2011 in Paris, when I visited Keltyn Woods and I admired it...but did not buy it. ES came after in 2012, from HOSTA FEVER in Barrie...I was more drawn to it and now love it! I made a good choice with this one. It is pretty when some leaves are tinted with a pale soft green hue among the softer gold ones. It never goes all green and gets direct sunlight until around 1:00.

Your Emerald Rough Cut is stunning! All sizes shown here are amazing - it's a looker!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Peren.all it was a great nap. 2 before dinner and all night.

I have started my wish list and I am looking at early ordering. I worked a lot of overtime LOL. As I am electrician I am adding Electrocution. Should be shocking. Also Elizabeth is sweet looking. Going to have to keep an eye out for her.

Just a reminder that no plant is too small. I post liners and I am proud of them.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

HostaTakeover -- I don't think anyone could get bored with seeing Earth Angel. I really need to get mine in the ground.
    irawon--Thank you. It is hard to imagine El Nino not looking good in any setting.
    josephines67--The more I see English Sunrise the more I like it and the pairing with Electrocution is inspired.
    ilovetogrow--So fitting that you should get Electrocution.

I am just so impressed with every hosta shown. I am more motivated than ever to prep a new area for the ones that I have but do not have in the ground yet.
    I am in so much trouble seeing all the new ones I don't have and want. We are not even finished with E yet!

9 years ago

I like what I hear, LOL! Inspired, eh? I Better look at my pairing again...I just plunked it there because the current size fit. Thank you.

Paula, that is a great play on words, your pun! You are clever! And electrifying, lol.

And thank you for sending encouragement out to post the smaller /newer to our garden...to get more of us to participate helps all of us ...we each get out of this Alphabet what we need to get through the cold winter.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Earth Angel

{{gwi:2128204}}

El Nino

{{gwi:2128205}}

Elvis Lives

{{gwi:2128206}}

Emerald Necklace in mid May, early June, and late June

{{gwi:2128207}}

{{gwi:2128208}}

{{gwi:2128209}}

Karen

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Steve, your Ebb Tide is BEAUTIFUL! I bought one two years ago but it has yet to even resemble what Ebb Tide should look like.

Irawon, your Emerald Ruff Cut is perfect! I planted one this past year but never took a picture of it. If it looks half as wonderful as yours this year I'll be delighted.

Really enjoying seeing everyone's Earth Angels, too.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I just got these late in the season and have no update pictures but this is Ebony Towers . I would love to see pictures of a mature plant if anyone has one

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Elegans

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Good ol' El Nino always looks great.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Another late one I purchased in fall is Essence of Summer. That too I would love to see a mature plant. Prices were good and just had to fill more spaces

This post was edited by almosthooked on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 18:29

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

El Nino

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Elegans

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Eye Candy...

Is it OK to use this thread for questions also?

Notice all the damage here, I have been told it is cut worm and had a lot of it last year. My experience with cut worm is when they cut off the plant stem near ground level and can be found in the soil around the plant.

Is this a different kind of cut worm or something else and how do you control it?

• User
    9 years ago

Emerald Charger
    July 2014
    {{gwi:2128210}}

I'll get more, but my computer is not cooperating. Catch you folks later.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Old dirt. You should always start a new thread with a question. Otherwise it gets burried under all the great pics above and won't get the attention it deserves. Having said that the damage on your Hosta does look like cut worm damage. You can try Sluggo Plus (with spinosad) or try spraying spinosad before you see the damage. Only use it when the plants aren't in flower, or at night, as it is toxic to bees.

Some people have had success digging around the base of the plant looking for the perpetrator. I haven't. Basically the term cutworm refers to any number of different species of grubs or worms. They can cut a stem as you mention or climb into leaves and gorge there. Hybridizers hate these little critters as they sometimes will cut a scape in half also.

Steve

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Elegans year 2

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Empress Wu
    {{gwi:2128211}}

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Eclipse. Didn't realize until now I'd taken a photo of it.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Earth Angel

{{gwi:2128212}}

Elegans

• Bennie0203
    9 years ago

Earth Angel
    {{gwi:2128213}}

El Nino

Eleanor Lachman
    {{gwi:2128214}}

Emerald Necklace
    {{gwi:2128215}}

Emerald Ruff Cut
    {{gwi:2128216}}

Empress Wu
    {{gwi:2128217}}

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

Elvis Lives

9 years ago

Bennie's Eleanor Lachman is captivating!

Jo

• Bennie0203, Zone: 6b/7a, Germany
    9 years ago

Erotica

Extreme

• Eleven
    8 years ago

Earth Angel 7/2/2014

El Nino 7/2/2014

Elvis Lives 7/2/2014

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

Three elegant Elegans 9 feet, 6 foot division, 5 foot division and number two Wu.

Jon

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022