Comments (14)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Queen of the Seas (leaf detail)

QOTS 2 yr old clump

Steve

• hostanista
    11 years ago

First year baby Queen of the Seas. I'm loving this one. Can't wait to see everyone else's mature clumps. Also, I hope someone posts a pic of Queen of Islip...

• hostanista
    11 years ago

October pic of Queen of the Seas (year 1)

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Not many Q's. Both of the Queen J's I have are in recovery. They were in different locations but one year one and the next year the other went weird and declined to where I thought they were gone for sure. At least one of them is making a comeback. Hostas are wonderful but also sometimes weird.

Speaking of weird, maybe some of you will be interested in these pictures of Queen of the Seas. I had heard of the blue melting off but had never experienced anything like this before. My blues had been strictly grown in the shade - complete shade. Gradually a few found their way into more sun seemed to thrive and grow. I noticed it often brought out the blue (in defense of the sun?). Anyway I moved my slowly growing Queen of the Seas into lots of sun in late 2011. It looked wonderful for a while until the afternoon of June 22.

I spent the hot day sitting in the sun with a book. When I did my 'tour' in the afternoon I couldn't believe my eyes. What a shock! It was not windy and no rain or watering - just hot sun.

Being an optomist I thought maybe it would grow back some blue. It didn't. Here it is a month later.

Here it is another month later. I didn't really mind and thought it was an interesting experiment. I will be moving it this spring to more shade and putting something else here.

My one lonely other Q.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Queen of the Seas - moved it to a brighter spot with morning sun - improves every year. Empress Wu in upper left and an Abba Dabba Do sport at upper right - so gonna have some big neighbors over the next couple of years.

Queen Josephine - Gets 1/2 day of sun

Paul

Here's a bed of Queen Josephines at local Arboretum-

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Paul --- what is the blue-edged ruffled leafed hosta on the bottom left of your first picture?

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Hostanista- That is Golden Meadows. Check out link below with color transitions it goes thru - starts out white/cream in center.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Meadows starting Its Show

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Hosta 'Queen of the Seas' after a rain.

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 18:45

• irawon
    11 years ago

Mctavish, thanks for your Queen of the Seas progression pictures. Mine was in its second year last summer and I didn't take a pic.

I bought Queen Josephine because of the shiny leaves. Mine gets mostly filtered sun.

QUEEN JOSEPHINE (year 3) on May 25, 2012

• hostanista
    11 years ago

PAUL: Thanks. You just put Golden Meadows on my lust-list.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Here's my Queen-of-the-Seas from last spring. This plant was planted in 2006,so it has grow very well. Phil

• User
    11 years ago

Paul, I was about to ask too....Golden Meadows....maybe mine will have those dark ruffles this year. It looked nice before but now I know what to expect. And now back to the alphabet:

Queen Josephine in August having a small flush of new leaves

Queen Of The Seas in August

Quilting Bee, newly arrived in June from Savory's.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

Another Queen Josephine in spring. Eye Declare in upper right.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Ater seeing all the beautiful Queen of the Sea. I just have to add this to my want list 2013. Great pictures .