Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta P 2012

I used to visit and revisit it a dozen times a day, and stand in deep contemplation over my vegetable progeny with a love that nobody could share or conceive of who had never taken part in the process of creation. It was one of the most bewitching sights in the world to observe a hill of beans thrusting aside the soil, or a row of early peas just peeping forth sufficiently to trace a line of delicate green. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Oh don't we know so well.

Parade your Ps!

Comments (55)

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Praying Hands (year 1 in a pot). Yours looks great Tepelus, what's in the pot with it, Creeping Jenny?

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Yup, golden creeping jenny.

Karen

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Just a baby: year 1 of Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Pineapple Poll

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

My poor Paul's Glory couldn't handle the full sun it found itself in after the fall of the tree. By the end of the summer it was a bleached out mess. I have moved it. Maybe I'll like it better in its new location. So far it hasn't done anything to impress me.

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Lot's of 'p' hostas so I doubled up on some.

I especially like this one when it is opening.

My favorite hosta name and one of my very favorite plants.

Great Plant, Great Flowers

• irawon
    11 years ago

"Parade your Ps!" I lovetogrow, you must be in advertising!! I'm impressed with your ability to keep coming up with slogans. Nice looking Pearl Lake too.

Mctavish, wonderful photography. You've done a great job of capturing the best features of those hostas. I didn't think I'd like Prince of Wales but I've changed my mind and I'm sold on Popcorn which I've been considering for a long time. How much light does your Punky get? I'm thinking that mine might need more.

I planted my Paradigm in 2007 and it looked good even as an immature plant
    Squirehohn that's amazing growth for a third year Paradigm. I see yours is under a tree too.

PARADIGM (year 5) on June 10, 2012

This post was edited by irawon on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 11:31

• irawon
    11 years ago

Pandora's Box between Widebrim on the left and Paradigm on the right. I moved Hope in front of Wide Brim this year and hope it does better there. That's Goober and Country Mouse peeking in from the bottom.

PANDORA'S BOX (year 4) on June 10, 2012

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Pamela Lee - Radiant Edger sport

Pandemonium - 1st year liner

Pandora's Box - Baby Bunting Sport

Peter Ruh - Paul's Glory Sport

Pewterware

Pistache - Spilt Milk Sport

Paul

• irawon
    11 years ago

Tepelus, my Prairie Sky wasn't very blue last summer either. I didn't take a picture; next year will be year two. Yours looks really healthy.

I planted Pewterware in 2007. It's peeking in from the right in the previous picture, where it's bluer.

PEWTERWARE (year 3)

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Paradigm .. first season, as all my hosta except the ones Myrle gave me in 2011

This post was edited by almosthooked on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 14:49

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Praying Hands and Puss ( Cocoa)

• irawon
    11 years ago

Almosthooked, that's a great Paradigm for year one. To refresh my memory about the meaning of "paradigm", I looked it up : "a typical example of something; a model". So in essence what this hosta's name means is that this hosta lives up to what a hosta should be.

Paul, thanks for the pic of Pandora's Box in flower. That picture has eluded me so far. I really like the colour on your Pewterware. I don't have Peter Ruh but I did buy Paradise Glory, another sport of Paul's Glory. Do you have it?

• User
    11 years ago

Pandora's Box in the first bowl I planted of minis

Paradigm front and center in the red pot, shot in October.

Paradise Island x 2 in one pot, in bloom

Paradise Sunshine is a fragrant hosta

Paul's Glory mostly in shade gave a darker leaf even in August

Peace.....have Faith, Hope, and intend to get Charity

PG-13 with Crepe Suzette in one end of a trough

Pineapple Upsidedown Cake...guess I'll have to grow hosta with leaves fading to white to get the "white look."

plantaginea.....big mama of my hosta addiction with some of the major family members around her

Plumb Bob (OS) in bloom in October

Popo...tiny dude next to a wild violet

Princess Anastasia shows flush of new leaves, love this one

Princetta arrived here early October near dormant and was still around in November. I have great hopes for this lovely fragrant hosta.

Pure Heart, a mouse which is one of five in a bowl of minis.

Purple Boots

Purple Haze

Purple Lady Finger...love this one, never can have too many of those deep purple blooms which do not open up.

Purple Passion

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Yet another 'Pilgrim'

'Paul's Glory'

A much abused 'Pilgrim' - better luck next year!

'Pineapple Upside down Cake'

A rather pathetic 'Praying Hands'. Perhaps I'll try a pot.

'Powder Blue'

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Here's my Paradise Power. This plant was sporting last year,but the sport was deep inside the plant. I don't think I want to destroy the plant,just to get the sport out. Phil

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

This is my PUDC,planted in this chimney flue in 2011. It got a lot bigger in 2012,but the real story on this plant is,when I first bought it,they were having a two-for one sale at the nursery near here. I bought two of them,and planted them in the ground to make a bigger clump. After a year,I discovered that the majority of it was reverting back to Pineapple Poll,but there was still a small portion that was still PUDC,so I divided it off the clump,and planted it in this chimney flue. I still have the original clump of Pineapple Poll,and it is growing like a weed. I don't have a pic of it,however. Phil

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

irawon - I don't have Paradise Power, though looks very similar to LS Shore Master. Regards Pandora's Box - I am trying to capture a leaf and flower of each hosta, but I take a lot less pics once heat of summer arrives, so flower pics are a bit haphazard.

Jan - I've seen a couple of very nice Praying Hands growing in quite a bit of sun (zone 4) with good watering. Moved mine and seems to be doing well so far.

Paul

Here's a Praying Hands from a tour that gives me reason to keep trying.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

Irawon - Yes my Paradigm is under a hemlock which saved it from the hail. My Parhelion is pretty much in the open and looks miserable (pic). Even skinny leaf Praying hands took a few hits.

• User
    11 years ago

The Parhelion demonstrates the best or worst I've seen of hail damage. Looks like shotgun pellets blew out little holes all over it.

I have a rather tall chimney flue which I've used as a plinth for big pots. Guess it would do very well for a medium hosta.

Is it filled entirely with soil or how do you fill it up?

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Paul's Glory...This plant was smashed by raccoons, I think, and all the leaves were crushed off of it. This is it with the re-flush of leaves. Sited in some full sun, takes it like a champ.

Don B.
    Westminster, CO.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

Does anyone have a good photo of Potomac Glory? I saw one last summer in a display garden with over 800 Hostas and PG was stunning (wish I had taken a photo). The photos I've seen on the web don't do it justice.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

H PANDORA'S BOX

H PARADIGM

H PARKY'S PRIZE

H PATHFINDER

H PATRIOT

H PAUL'S GLORY

H PIEDMONT GOLD

H PINEAPPLE POLL

H PIZZAZ

This post was edited by plantbug on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 16:39

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

another Paul's Glory sited in shade. Obviously both my plants are immature.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Here's my Parhelion,early in the spring. Phil

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

Pistache

Paradise Glory

Paradigm

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are a few more from my garden. Thank you irawon for your kind comments. I am having fun doing this.

Paul hid out under some gingers with Diamond Jack all summer.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Sadly this was the Paul Glory I purchased before knowing what hosta virus looked like. I thought it was some unique variety until Myrle and her sister saw what I had purchased and immedietly seperated from my other plants.This is what not to buy and destroy.

Paul's Glory with virus

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Paul's Glory with Elegan's behind. I know they are repeats but I had to post this good pic.

Pandora's Box on the left with Strip Tease on the right.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Paul's Glory leaf.

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

My son smelling Paul's Glory.

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

Praying Hands bottom right and paradigm to the left

• User
    11 years ago

Ogre, your plants and your son are fine looking and well cared for.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Hostafreakin Phil, your Paradise Power is splendid! You wouldn't have it planted in the vicinity of Sun Power would you?

I like your Pineapple Upside Down Cake too. Is it slug resistant?

• irawon
    11 years ago

Hippie, thanks for posting Paradise Glory. Now I know what it shoud look like. Lovely Paradigm. The leaves on yours are smaller, so it must get more light??

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

H.'Parhelion'.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Bev, what a handsome looking Paradigm. I like it with the stand of Solomen's Seal. I counted 14 clumps of Pandora's Box. How long did it take to grow those?

• irawon
    11 years ago

Ogre, your son's a cutie. Nice picture with your great PG. Hope you've framed that one.

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

Irawon,
    Yes, our Paradigm gets sun all afternoon and it holds up well. We've had it since 2009.

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Irawon,

The Pandora's Box fell apart when a tree died and I had to move it. We took out tree, root ball and all, and replanted the tree and hosta. They have been there two years now. I hope they make it through this winter. Too cold with too little snow cover

My Paradigm is really a Paul's Glory, amazing how, at certain times of year, they look alike.

Beverly

• esox48
    11 years ago

Paradigm, the hail catcher.....

Not my Paul's Glory, but I wish it were.....

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Irawon,yes.my Sun Power is just a little farther down the path from Paradise Power. Thanks for the kind comment! I don't know about PUDC's slug resistance,but they usually don't get in my chimney flues. (I have three of them). I figured it would do well in the chimney flue,because of its cascading habit. Phil

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Plantbug, I wonder whether your Piedmont Gold is correct. Too green and glossy.

Here's a pic from a garden tour - late in June.

Paul

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

Thank you for the kind comments.

• User
    11 years ago

Oh boy, IMHO, you can never have too many big bold gold hosta!
    Thanks for sharing that picture of Piedmont Gold, Paul. It was recommended to me and I see why.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

More P's

Peedee Gold Flash - Kabitan hybrid - probably will need to move when Sweet Innocence (at left) takes over.

Pineapple Punch (rev of Pineapple Upsidedown Cake) - 3rd year. Hopefully it takes off this year.

Platinum Tiara - Golden Scepter Sport

Prairie Lightning - A seedling of Prairie Glow registered by grannynanny (Phylis) - margin appears later in season

Precious Metal - 2nd year, Lakeside Down Sized sport

Paul

• plantbug
    11 years ago

Paul,

I'll be sure to keep a close eye on my Piedmont Gold. It was purchased before 2005 and this pic was taken in September 2012. Sometimes we don't get what the label states. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

plantbug

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Here's my Pathfinder,new to the garden last year. Phil

• User
    11 years ago

You've done it again, Phil, that is a beautiful Pathfinder. I have one due to arrive from Naylor in late March.

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

Hosta PoPo in bloom

{{gwi:918071}}

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz