Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta P 2012

Posted by ilovetogrow 9 Jax FL (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 5:23

I used to visit and revisit it a dozen times a day, and stand in deep contemplation over my vegetable progeny with a love that nobody could share or conceive of who had never taken part in the process of creation. It was one of the most bewitching sights in the world to observe a hill of beans thrusting aside the soil, or a row of early peas just peeping forth sufficiently to trace a line of delicate green. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Oh don't we know so well.

Parade your Ps!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta P 2012

Photos taken early May just coming up
Cher

Photobucket
Patriot

Photobucket
Paul's Glory

o

Paradigm 3rd year. The rest of my "P's" were pretty much shredded by hail. Except for a few oldies I've only grown Hostas for the lasr three years and they were "hailed" 2 of the 3 years.

o

Praying Hands (with Lakeside Dragonfly)

Praying Hands 5-11-12 photo PrayingHands5-11-12-1.jpg

Prairie Sky (generally bluer, but my blues last year never got very blue)

Prairie Sky 4-29-12 photo PrairieSky4-29-12.jpg

Karen

o

Another one of my favorites is Patriot

o

First bought in the fall 2011 and in spring 2012 came up with 20 pips
Pilgrim

o

Praying Hands (year 1 in a pot). Yours looks great Tepelus, what's in the pot with it, Creeping Jenny?

o

Yup, golden creeping jenny.

Karen

o

Just a baby: year 1 of Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

o

Pineapple Poll

o

My poor Paul's Glory couldn't handle the full sun it found itself in after the fall of the tree. By the end of the summer it was a bleached out mess. I have moved it. Maybe I'll like it better in its new location. So far it hasn't done anything to impress me.

Paul's Glory 2012 photo 100_3929.jpg

o

Paradise Red Delight 6-4-12 (138)

Lot's of 'p' hostas so I doubled up on some.
Parkeys Prize 6-24-12 (55)

I especially like this one when it is opening.
Patriot 5-13-12 (23)

My favorite hosta name and one of my very favorite plants.
PeeDee Laughing River 7-1-12 (194)

Great Plant, Great Flowers
Permanent Wave 7-25-12 (85)

Popcorn 6-13-12 (14)

Prince of Wales 6-22-12 (10)

Punky 6-13-12 (310)

o

"Parade your Ps!" I lovetogrow, you must be in advertising!! I'm impressed with your ability to keep coming up with slogans. Nice looking Pearl Lake too.

Mctavish, wonderful photography. You've done a great job of capturing the best features of those hostas. I didn't think I'd like Prince of Wales but I've changed my mind and I'm sold on Popcorn which I've been considering for a long time. How much light does your Punky get? I'm thinking that mine might need more.

I planted my Paradigm in 2007 and it looked good even as an immature plant
Squirehohn that's amazing growth for a third year Paradigm. I see yours is under a tree too.

PARADIGM (year 5) on June 10, 2012

This post was edited by irawon on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 11:31

o

Pandora's Box between Widebrim on the left and Paradigm on the right. I moved Hope in front of Wide Brim this year and hope it does better there. That's Goober and Country Mouse peeking in from the bottom.

PANDORA'S BOX (year 4) on June 10, 2012

o

Pamela Lee - Radiant Edger sport
Hosta 'Pamela Lee'

Pandemonium - 1st year liner
Hosta 'Pandemonium'

Pandora's Box - Baby Bunting Sport
Hosta 'Pandora's Box'

Peter Ruh - Paul's Glory Sport
Hosta 'Peter Ruh'

Pewterware
Hosta 'Pewterware'

Pistache - Spilt Milk Sport
Hosta 'Pistache'

Paul

o

Tepelus, my Prairie Sky wasn't very blue last summer either. I didn't take a picture; next year will be year two. Yours looks really healthy.

I planted Pewterware in 2007. It's peeking in from the right in the previous picture, where it's bluer.

PEWTERWARE (year 3)

o

Paradigm .. first season, as all my hosta except the ones Myrle gave me in 2011

This post was edited by almosthooked on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 14:49

o

Praying Hands and Puss ( Cocoa)

o

Almosthooked, that's a great Paradigm for year one. To refresh my memory about the meaning of "paradigm", I looked it up : "a typical example of something; a model". So in essence what this hosta's name means is that this hosta lives up to what a hosta should be.

Paul, thanks for the pic of Pandora's Box in flower. That picture has eluded me so far. I really like the colour on your Pewterware. I don't have Peter Ruh but I did buy Paradise Glory, another sport of Paul's Glory. Do you have it?

o

Pandora's Box in the first bowl I planted of minis
Mini hosta from Savory's in MN.

Paradigm front and center in the red pot, shot in October.
GreenMt Hosta

Paradise Island x 2 in one pot, in bloom
Hosta12June349

Paradise Sunshine is a fragrant hosta
Hosta12Aug258

Paul's Glory mostly in shade gave a darker leaf even in August
Hosta12Aug230

Peace.....have Faith, Hope, and intend to get Charity
Hosta12Aug209

PG-13 with Crepe Suzette in one end of a trough
Hosta 'PG-13' & 'Crepe Suzette'

Pineapple Upsidedown Cake...guess I'll have to grow hosta with leaves fading to white to get the "white look."
Hosta12Aug413

plantaginea.....big mama of my hosta addiction with some of the major family members around her
H. plantaginea is the species hosta

Plumb Bob (OS) in bloom in October
Hosta12Oct003

Popo...tiny dude next to a wild violet
Hosta 'Popo'

Princess Anastasia shows flush of new leaves, love this one
Hosta12Aug163

Princetta arrived here early October near dormant and was still around in November. I have great hopes for this lovely fragrant hosta.
Hosta12Nov059

Pure Heart, a mouse which is one of five in a bowl of minis.
Hosta12July352

Purple Boots
Hosta12Aug127

Purple Haze
Hosta12Aug269

Purple Lady Finger...love this one, never can have too many of those deep purple blooms which do not open up.
Hosta12Aug428

Purple Passion
Hosta 'Purple Passion'

o

Yet another 'Pilgrim'

H.'Patriot' photo june62012064.jpg

'Paul's Glory'

H.'Paul's Glory' photo june62012035.jpg

A much abused 'Pilgrim' - better luck next year!

H.'Pilgrim' photo june62012011.jpg

'Pineapple Upside down Cake'

H.'Pineapple Upsidedown Cake' photo june62012002.jpg

A rather pathetic 'Praying Hands'. Perhaps I'll try a pot.

H.'Praying Hands' photo june62012012.jpg

'Powder Blue'
H. 'Powder Blue' Sept. 2012 photo cottagegardensfall2012012.jpg

o

Here's my Paradise Power. This plant was sporting last year,but the sport was deep inside the plant. I don't think I want to destroy the plant,just to get the sport out. Phil

Photobucket

o
RE: Hosta Pineapple Upside Down Cake..

This is my PUDC,planted in this chimney flue in 2011. It got a lot bigger in 2012,but the real story on this plant is,when I first bought it,they were having a two-for one sale at the nursery near here. I bought two of them,and planted them in the ground to make a bigger clump. After a year,I discovered that the majority of it was reverting back to Pineapple Poll,but there was still a small portion that was still PUDC,so I divided it off the clump,and planted it in this chimney flue. I still have the original clump of Pineapple Poll,and it is growing like a weed. I don't have a pic of it,however. Phil

Photobucket

o

irawon - I don't have Paradise Power, though looks very similar to LS Shore Master. Regards Pandora's Box - I am trying to capture a leaf and flower of each hosta, but I take a lot less pics once heat of summer arrives, so flower pics are a bit haphazard.

Jan - I've seen a couple of very nice Praying Hands growing in quite a bit of sun (zone 4) with good watering. Moved mine and seems to be doing well so far.

Paul

Here's a Praying Hands from a tour that gives me reason to keep trying.

o

Irawon - Yes my Paradigm is under a hemlock which saved it from the hail. My Parhelion is pretty much in the open and looks miserable (pic). Even skinny leaf Praying hands took a few hits.

o

The Parhelion demonstrates the best or worst I've seen of hail damage. Looks like shotgun pellets blew out little holes all over it.

I have a rather tall chimney flue which I've used as a plinth for big pots. Guess it would do very well for a medium hosta.

Is it filled entirely with soil or how do you fill it up?

o

Paul's Glory...This plant was smashed by raccoons, I think, and all the leaves were crushed off of it. This is it with the re-flush of leaves. Sited in some full sun, takes it like a champ.

Don B.
Westminster, CO.

o

Does anyone have a good photo of Potomac Glory? I saw one last summer in a display garden with over 800 Hostas and PG was stunning (wish I had taken a photo). The photos I've seen on the web don't do it justice.

o

Photobucket
H PANDORA'S BOX

Photobucket
H PARADIGM

Photobucket
H PARKY'S PRIZE

Photobucket
H PATHFINDER

Photobucket
H PATRIOT

Photobucket
H PAUL'S GLORY

Photobucket
H PIEDMONT GOLD

Photobucket
H PINEAPPLE POLL

Photobucket
H PIZZAZ

This post was edited by plantbug on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 16:39

o

another Paul's Glory sited in shade. Obviously both my plants are immature.

o

Here's my Parhelion,early in the spring. Phil

Photobucket

o

Pistache
Photobucket

Paradise Glory
Photobucket

Paradigm
Photobucket

o

Here are a few more from my garden. Thank you irawon for your kind comments. I am having fun doing this.

Photobucket

Paul hid out under some gingers with Diamond Jack all summer.

Photobucket

o

Sadly this was the Paul Glory I purchased before knowing what hosta virus looked like. I thought it was some unique variety until Myrle and her sister saw what I had purchased and immedietly seperated from my other plants.This is what not to buy and destroy.

Paul's Glory with virus

o

Paul's Glory with Elegan's behind. I know they are repeats but I had to post this good pic.

photo IMG_0120.jpg

Pandora's Box on the left with Strip Tease on the right.

photo IMG_0134.jpg

o

Paul's Glory leaf.

o

My son smelling Paul's Glory.

o

Praying Hands bottom right and paradigm to the left

o

Ogre, your plants and your son are fine looking and well cared for.

o

Hostafreakin Phil, your Paradise Power is splendid! You wouldn't have it planted in the vicinity of Sun Power would you?

I like your Pineapple Upside Down Cake too. Is it slug resistant?

o

Hippie, thanks for posting Paradise Glory. Now I know what it shoud look like. Lovely Paradigm. The leaves on yours are smaller, so it must get more light??

o

H.'Parhelion'.

o

Bev, what a handsome looking Paradigm. I like it with the stand of Solomen's Seal. I counted 14 clumps of Pandora's Box. How long did it take to grow those?

o

Ogre, your son's a cutie. Nice picture with your great PG. Hope you've framed that one.

o

Irawon,
Yes, our Paradigm gets sun all afternoon and it holds up well. We've had it since 2009.

o

Irawon,

The Pandora's Box fell apart when a tree died and I had to move it. We took out tree, root ball and all, and replanted the tree and hosta. They have been there two years now. I hope they make it through this winter. Too cold with too little snow cover

My Paradigm is really a Paul's Glory, amazing how, at certain times of year, they look alike.

Beverly

o

Paradigm, the hail catcher.....

photo paradigm.jpg

Not my Paul's Glory, but I wish it were.....

Paul's Glory photo PaulsGlory.jpg

o

Irawon,yes.my Sun Power is just a little farther down the path from Paradise Power. Thanks for the kind comment! I don't know about PUDC's slug resistance,but they usually don't get in my chimney flues. (I have three of them). I figured it would do well in the chimney flue,because of its cascading habit. Phil

o

Plantbug, I wonder whether your Piedmont Gold is correct. Too green and glossy.

Here's a pic from a garden tour - late in June.

Paul

o

Thank you for the kind comments.

o

Oh boy, IMHO, you can never have too many big bold gold hosta!
Thanks for sharing that picture of Piedmont Gold, Paul. It was recommended to me and I see why.

o

More P's

Peedee Gold Flash - Kabitan hybrid - probably will need to move when Sweet Innocence (at left) takes over.
Hosta 'Peedee Gold Flash'

Pineapple Punch (rev of Pineapple Upsidedown Cake) - 3rd year. Hopefully it takes off this year.
Hosta 'Pineapple Punch'

Platinum Tiara - Golden Scepter Sport
Hosta 'Platinum Tiara'

Prairie Lightning - A seedling of Prairie Glow registered by grannynanny (Phylis) - margin appears later in season
Hosta 'Prairie Lightning'

Precious Metal - 2nd year, Lakeside Down Sized sport
Hosta 'Precious Metal'

Paul

o

Paul,

I'll be sure to keep a close eye on my Piedmont Gold. It was purchased before 2005 and this pic was taken in September 2012. Sometimes we don't get what the label states. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

plantbug

o

Here's my Pathfinder,new to the garden last year. Phil

Photobucket

o

You've done it again, Phil, that is a beautiful Pathfinder. I have one due to arrive from Naylor in late March.

o

Hosta PoPo in bloom

photo 031_zps47f056f3.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here