Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta NOID 2013

Two goldfish were in their tank.
One turns to the other and says,
"You man the guns, I'll drive."

no id? Perfect place to show them off and maybe get a name.

Comments (45)

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Not sure what these might be?

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Do open pollinated seedlings count? If so here are a couple:
    Found near Ginko Craig

These were found near Guacamole, June and Paradigm'

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

This is my "unknown green". It bloms almost white flowers on 36" scapes. It's always the first to bloom. I've been known to call it a sieboldiana, though that's just a guess. I've had it for 15+ years in a pot. It was labeled either Royal Standard or Elegans, but it's neither.

bk

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

This is "Big Blue". It doesn't bloom for me. I've had it 15+ years in a pot and never remember it blooming. It's almost the same color as Blue Angel at my house. (The wax, if it has any, has never looked mottled like Elegans does here.) It was the other half of "Royal Standard" or "sieboldiana Elegans:"

bk

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

This came labeled Amy Elizabeth. I think it might be Lakeside Shore Captain. It bloomed at the same time as my LSC and the flowers looked the same.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

This one was marked way down because it had lost its label. I really liked it and brought it home hoping I could identify it. No luck so far!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I found this one at Menards in 2010. It was in a bunch of unlabeled hostas, and the only one. I'd never seen anything like it, so of course I picked it up. For a while I thought it was Wheee!, but the colors are different. It hasn't been a good grower, and got uglier with age.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Bkay,

Honeybells and Elegans.

Does the blue one have flowers that bloom just above the foliage?

Steve

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Bought this one late in the season and planted it in the veggie garden to get it in the ground for the winter--lost the tag by spring. Moved it in spring to front of the house.

Thinking this is it's second year. Didn't seem to catch any flower pictures. Loving the looks of it so far.

6/2/13

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

6/2/13
    The leaves

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

9/19/13
    Ground view

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

9/19/13
    Any ideas?

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

NOIDs are attracted to my husband who tends to be a bit bored when I hosta shop. So I have a few....

NOID (fortunei aureomarginata perhaps?)

NOID (hyacithina perhaps?) Elegans on the right.

NOID

NOID mini

NOID (not Paul's Glory as labelled)

NOID (perhaps Fragrant Blue?)

NOID (plain green - looked little and lonely!!)

NOID - another plain green!

NOID - the nursery had a whole row of these!

• User
    10 years ago

Really cute quote to start the thread, Paula....I had to pause.....must be getting old. And the NOID thread is a new thing, most interesting since each message is a surprise. Good choice.

My NOID category will have to wait for a while, because having lost some name tags on a few tipped containers, it will be spring before I can get pictures of my NOIDS. Dang squirrels!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Terri, I'm lousy at hosta identification, but maybe Blue Angel?

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Jan,

That all blue one may be Wheaton Blue. That's the all blue sport of Paul's Glory. Your plant could have been one of those sports.

Steve

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Maybe Thunderbolt?

• User
    10 years ago

Terri9094, I submit your pretty NOID is related to ventricosa. Last year I got Holly's Dazzler and someone (perhaps KenA) mentioned that the cupie-doll leaf tip is indicative of ventricosa. So now I associate that "look" with ventricosa. Wanna see a picture of both the ventricosa itself and the leaf of Holly's Dazzler?

ventricosa

Holly's Dazzler

Does this give you any leads?

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Mocc,

Notice how flat the leaves are in Terri's ground view picture? Notice how wavy your leaves are in Holly's Dazzler? It can't be ventricosa.

A few questions, Terri. How tall are those scapes in that picture and how big are the leaves? Does it begin the season blue and then turn green or does it stay green all year?

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

NOID.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

The NOID twins. New Hosta Lady said they look a lot like 'Abiqua Blue Crinkles', and I agree. But officially, they remain 'the NOID twins'. : )

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

NOID.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

NOID.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

NOID.

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

This is not really a noid,because I know what it came from. It is a Cinnamon Sticks seedling,which looks nothing like the parent plant,but I have named it Cinnamon Blue. I have two of these planted together,and other seedlings from the same batch which don't look like these,either. Isn't genetics interesting? Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's a nice plant, Phil. I suppose you already know that, though. : )

Don B.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

I thought the NOID category was a joke, glad it wasn't.
    I think this might be August Moon but need some support.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

Large upright with soft lime color. Been in the garden for 10 years, never had a clue what it was.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

I'm thinking Mildred Seaver but seems to have a narrower white edge. I've divided it several times, comes back like a weed.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

NOID with a Daylily over by the pond.

Don B.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

NOID...no clue

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

NOID...no clue

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

Not a pretty picture, first year. Tagged Parahelion but doesn't look right to me.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Steve, I odn't think it's Honeybells, as it blooms in May. My fragrants bloom in August. However, I bought a Honeybells this past fall, so I can compare them when they come up.

The other one may be what they sold as Elegans back in the early 90's. I bought it in a box at Sam's about 15+ years ago. I think the standards were looser then.

I like it. It holds up to the heat pretty well. I may name it myself. Source: unknown.

bk

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Now that I am "into" hostas, I don't like not knowing the names of some of my hosta. I will do better next year (I hope) and note flower times, flower color and other particulars to help identify it.

I call these "Small Blue."

10 years ago

When my father-in-law died and his house was sold, I took divisions of two of his hostas. They both look similar, but one comes up light green and then darkens. This one is more green than it is blue.

I am wondering whether this could be Fortunei Hyacinthina.

This post was edited by newhostalady on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 23:41

10 years ago

This particular hosta doesn't look all that attractive to me yet. I think someone else had one that looked similar that they couldn't identify (in another post), and someone said it could be Snow Cap. I am thinking that this might be Snow Cap too. Picture taken in August.

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Steve--it starts out blue, then turns green.

Sizes are guesses--leaves about 8" x 8" ?
    plant 12 - 15" H?
    scapes 25 - 30" H?

I took a leaf to one of our hosta society meetings, to see if anyone had any ideas. Closest suggestion, without seeing flower scapes, was Bressingham Blue. Looking at pics on HL, I think the scapes on BB are too short.

But, as I said earlier, this year will be the 3rd year, it should leap. Hoping I didn't stunt the growth, had to move it to tear out/ redo the garden it was in--darn chipmunks!

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

This one came unlabeled in the batch from Lowes last year. It's planted in the quarantine area of the garden and trying to identify it on the internet is how my hosta addiction started. I'll have more info next year.
    Kathy

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi, Kathy...... I know it's a tiny baby, and therefore it's VERY premature for me to even guess about your Lowe's noid. However, I saw literally THOUSANDS of these little suckers at each and every one of my local Lowe's stores last year, and they were baby 'Antioch'. So, that's my guess. Based on it's general look, and of course, the Lowe's mass-purchasing law of averages. Still, just a guess.

Please post pics of it in a few years, I'll still be curious! LOL ; )

Don B.

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Wow! Antioch's on my wish list. That's a big hosta, but it's such a little thing. That bed's going to get crowded! Thanks for the guess, Don. I'll let you know in a couple of years.
    Kathy

• igmommy
    10 years ago

10 years ago

Hi Keana. Your 2nd and 3rd picture look similar to a couple that I have. Look in the Hosta Library under Fortunei. I think you will see a lot of similarity---especially Fortunei Viridis, in your case.

• Teresa_MN
    10 years ago

I can't remember what this is. To the right is June and in the upper right is Marilyn Monroe. This is a big plant with a matte finish and the colors lean toward olive. The leaf tips twist.

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Was convinced this was Diamond Tiara ... but know now that it isn't.

We'll see what it does in the coming years. I'm hoping it stays smaller as I find it quite adorable just as it is.

That is Blue Mouse Ears in the upper right hand corner for a size comparison.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz