Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Noid 2014

My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too
â Rodney Dangerfield

Now I started remembering why I don't remember anything!
â Homer Simpson

Noids I give mine a name. It is Bill. Maybe someone will ID our unknowns.

Comments (63)

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

My one and only Noid. The lack of ID......it taunts me.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Hostanista, yes, that could certainly be Thunderbolt. It could also be Dream Queen or Dream Weaver; all three look so similar. But my money would be on Thunderbolt.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

My NOID that has been haunting me. It is a fragrant.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

My noid that was purchased as Sea Fire but it lacks the red sheaths in the spring. Blooms white flowers in late July. Also, if I remember correctly, it doesn't come up bright yellow, but grows more yellowish through the season. I'm leaning toward August Moon.

Karen

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Picture of flowers from 2011.

Karen

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Picture of flowers from 2011.

Karen

{{gwi:2128905}}

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Jan...could your NOID from Loblaw be Inspire Greatness?....mine is pictured below

This is my Noid....any ideas?
    {{gwi:2128935}}

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

I thought this NOID was Inniswood until I viewed the pictures of Inniswood on our 'I' alphabet day. Mine didn't quite look like the others. I have had a few guesses. What do you think?

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

Barb, I might have guessed during The "I" . I'm thinking either Bright Lights or Princess Anastasia.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

NOID, might be Abiqua Ambrosia. What do you think?

{{gwi:2128936}}

For flowers & more pics, click on pic above & then click Next (total of 8 pics). Tell me if doesn't work & I'll try to fix.

Pretty light colored lavender flowers with wonderful light fragrance. I notice Abiqua Ambrosia is always listed as fragrant, including on DonâÂÂs list of fragrant hostas. Thanks for any & all help!

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

NOID - I'm not sure if this fits the noid category as they may have been seedlings that I've used as fillers. This is one of several that's in full sun.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hostanista, here's a very young Thunderbolt for comparison. I think the thunderbolt in the middle narrows with maturity, say compared to Dream Queen... don't know about Dream Weaver though.

• irawon
    9 years ago

I discovered this was not BLUE SHADOWS during the B thread. I accessed the website of the nursery from whence the NOID was purchased. They don't carry Inniswood or Paradigm, or Gold Standard, which I considered possibilities as the center starts out chartreuse and brightens to yellow.

Another possibility is Paul's Glory, which the garden center sells. Can anyone say it isn't Paul's Glory?

Another possibility I researched was September Sun.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

this format hurts my head...

i had some idea about.. i dont know.. the eighth one.. but by the time i got to the 47th ... i lost consciousness ... and my head cracked the keyboard ... had a weird dream about a laptop that runs on bacon ... lol ...

i think mountainy suspicions are spot on ... i think ... i couldnt find it again.. when i scrolled up ...any suggestions for a better format????

ken

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

You made me laugh Ken! If it were me, I'd probably be using a pen and paper to jot down my thoughts or open up Wordpad to type notes as I go along on this thread and then cut and paste.

Here's my noid. I just call it Small Blue. It is surrounded by a young lancifolia, June and heuchera. Photo taken in early June.

9 years ago

Small Blue in another location in shade in June.

9 years ago

Same Small Blue as last picture. Taken in July with lavender flowers. Any suggestions for this hosta name would be appreciated.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

This is one named by Myrle that she calls Vinny . One of my first hosta in my first hosta beds that I thought would be the only one I would have .. HUMMm :) I thought that was a real named hosta then

Now I finally got where the hosta Os went to because of NOID is before in the alphabet

9 years ago

I'd probably be using a pen and paper to jot down my thoughts or open up Wordpad to type notes as I go along on this thread and then cut and paste.

==>>> why should i work that hard.. when the peep with the NO ID is too lazy to start their own post ... to keep the post of reasonable size and number of pix???

in the name that plant forum.. we often suggest.. no more than 3 requests per post ... to avoid just his thing ...

ken

• irawon
    9 years ago

Duplicated self. Sorry. That hosta of mine sure wants to know its identity. LOL

{{gwi:2128914}}

This post was edited by irawon on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 12:12

9 years ago

Hi Ken. I think what part of the confusion is, is that this is part of the Hosta Alphabet. You were probably thinking it was just someone posting another NOID hosta seeking identification. Perhaps the title of the thread should have been Hosta Alphabet NOID 2014. I see it as a collection of NOID pictures, and if someone can ID a hosta, then great. I agree that the best way to seek an ID is in a separate thread.

9 years ago

There is no confusion on my side ... just stating my opinion

You all are more than free to ignore such ...

But as you note ... others should not give up ...if they don't get an answer in this post ... just start your own post

Ken

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Jan.ON - I think Paula could be onto something when she suggests Golden Tiara for your mini, although the ultimate size would be 16x39 if correct.
    Yours does display more than slightly wavy with more consistency than any pic I have seen of Golden Tiara.
    I see 2 possibly 3 leaves at the bottom sporting and I have seen that on mine. Hopefully others will chime in!

tepelus - I think you are leaning in the right direction.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Jan, I still think your Hosta in the woods is Pete's Dark Satellite. It's pretty much identical to mine (see photo above).

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

My "little blue" NOID, bought as Elegans but it's several years old and stays this size. I thought Love Pat for a while but now I don't think so.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Way up there Dennis said mine looked like Love Pat.I have LP and I don't think it's the same but thanks for trying!
    James

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Are there any hostas named after bacon?

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Had 2 of these for at least 8 years, never did know it's identity. Was quite large, vase shaped and soft lime green. The last couple years it kept decreasing and one disappeared, I think from tree root competition. Last year I transplanted what was left of it. Hope it comes back to it's original form.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

I have a few more NOID's but no decent pictures.

Jan, your NOID in the woods, I get scads of volunteers just like that every year. Most I pull up, some I've transplanted and get quite large,

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

ilovetogrow, your second picture is most likely Frances Williams. I purchased one from Walmart as well when I first started buying hostas. Wouldn't have know what it was if I hadn't inspected the barcode. Here is a pic of when it was purchased, before being planted.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'm with Ken. This is a tough format. Somewhere up there is someone named something from Louisiana in 8B. Look up Holly's Honey. (Your hosta has a definite ventricosa look.) The shape of the leaves are hard to see in the photo. I can't tell how round they are, but it could be a match.

bk

edit: I'm a terrible speller

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 19:43

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bungalowmonkeys I do believe you are right. Your plant looks exactly like the ones (3) I bought. Thank you for your help.

Stay warm everyone.

9 years ago

irawon - I would not have any reason to say it isn't Paul's Glory. That is great if you have it narrowed down to 2 options!
    They are both so similar but I will say if you originally thought it was Blue Shadows that there had to be a blue tinge to the margin early in the season.
    September Sun would be green from the outset and the scapes would not have exceeded 27"
    Paul's Glory would have the blue green margin early season (although I never recall thinking it looked all that bluish early in the season) I should pay more attention this year lol!
    PG would have 30" to 40" scapes.
    Did it flower? Did you have either one already? Wouldn't it be nice if at least one person felt satisfied with a confirmation/ID. I know I have a NOID too LOL!

• irawon
    9 years ago

Peren.all, thanks for trying. I should have mentioned that the NOID was bought in 2011. I also bought a Paul's Glory in 2011 but from a different nursery. My NOID is rugose whereas my Paul's Glory has no wrinkles whatsoever. I was happy b/c my NOID grew so rapidly, which Blue Shadows doesn't do. I'm bummed out because I've spent 3 years growing an imposter.

I don't have a picture of my NOID with flowers. I'm going to make a point to find out this summer... thought the flowers were near white... but Paul's Glory's are lavender.

Pic of Paul's Glory.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Newhostalady, your small blue hosta looks like 'Blue Cadet' to me.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Irawon: Have you considered Midwest Magic or Stained Glass? If it is a fragrant, Stained Glass is a possibility. This is my Stained Glass.

Gary: Thanks again for your suggestions. I think for the 'I's you also suggested Tokudama Auronebulosa. I'll be watching when the letters for P & T come up to see what people post. There is just so much variation at the Hosta Library between the pictures. I looked into all three of your suggestions but haven't been able to rule one of them out.

Barb

9 years ago

irawon - This is the frustrating part of trying to ID. Your original pic looked more like PG.
    Edited to add- In the HL most pics show moderate corrugation on PG but there are 2 pics that are only slightly
    corrugated like your PG.
    Mine is moderately corrugated. Hope you get an ID. So tough! LOL!!!

This post was edited by Peren.all on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 21:05

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

NOID. Anyone have any guesses?

Thanks.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

bkay, thanks so very much but my pictures aren't very good & you didn't have much to go on.

However on Holly's Honey the edges of the leaves look curlier than mine, a picture shows a real purple color on the flower whereas mine are a light lavender at their darkest, & the flowers are listed as not being fragrant & mine have a lovely fragrance.

From looking at many pictures on the internet I really think I've got Abiqua Ambrosia but I've never had the chance to talk to a hosta expert about it. Please click on thumbnails to enlarge & see the Plants Galore/Hosta Helper link for a comparison with their pic. Thanks for your interest!

{{gwi:2128937}}

{{gwi:2128938}}

{{gwi:2128940}}

{{gwi:2128941}}
    {{gwi:2128942}}
    {{gwi:2128943}}

Hosta is next to trellis with flower bent over, to the left of the crinum lily that is blooming in the pot.
    {{gwi:2128944}}

{{gwi:2128945}}

Pic at Plants Galore/Hosta Helper for comparison

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

Hi Don: I am probably not even close with these guesses, but here goes: Great Arrival or Garden Treasure? I purchased Great Arrival last year and mine had the narrow margin that yours does with a blue center. Some pics show a wider margin so hard to know.

Barb

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Paula--Wally world NOID looks like Frances Williams which does bloom, seed and scorch.
    Jan.ON--If the Loblaw NOID is draw stringing I say Barbara Ann.
    Bungalowmonkeys-- If it's growing that fast maybe it is T-Rex.
    Hostanista-- I vote for Thunderbolt, too. Looks just like mine, including the size.
    Hostas for Barb-- could your haunting NOID be Smooth Sailing? I've had it on my Hallson's wish list for a long time and their picture looks just like yours.

Last year Don_n_Colorado tentatively IDed a NOID of mine as Antioch. Here's a pic of it from this year. If anyone thinks it's definitely not Antioch please let me know.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

zKathy:

Smooth Sailing is a good guess. I looked it up in my Hostapedia and it makes no mention of fragrance and my NOID is definitely a Fragrant.

Does anyone know if Smooth Sailing has fragrance?

Barb

9 years ago

one of those above has to be a plantiginea of some sort .....

large white trumpet-like flowers ... but i dont know how long they are

ken

9 years ago

tropic_lover - There is a possibility that your NOID is Regal Splendor.
    The leaves can be blue green to dark green.
    The margin can be 1/4 to 3/4 wide, yellow turning to creamy white.
    The margin can also vary plant to plant.
    Mostly I am looking at the general form of your NOID.
    If you think it could be RS check out the Hosta Library pics. Here is a pic of mine very young and then coming up in spring years later.

9 years ago

tropic_lover - Here is Regal Splendor unfurling years later.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Here's mine which I have posted before. I thought it might be American Halo. After some discussion we arrived at Northern Exposure. Whatever it is, everyone seems to like it.

9 years ago

Irawon, I missed your comment above about my NOID looking like Blue Cadet. Thanks for your suggestion. I will do my research and check it out!

As for your NOID, Paul's Glory's center lightens at the end of the season. I don't know if September Sun does. Here is mine. Photo taken in October.

• brucebanyaihsta
    9 years ago

Hosta lady; Blue Boy
    Old dirt ; Gold Regal

Bruce

9 years ago

Thank you Bruce. I'll check it out!

• irawon
    9 years ago

Peren.all, Hostas for Barb and Newhostalady, I'm late with my thanks. I already have Paul's Glory, Paradigm, Stained Glass, Gold Standard, Midwest Magic, Inniswood but in different locations in my yard. Location makes identification difficult even when you already have the same plants .LOL I'll keep all those possibilities in mind and try to be moe observant this coming season re flowers and will check vein pairs. I'm sorta leaning toward Paradigm, even though the nursery where I bought this hosta doesn't sell it currently. Another consideration is that my hosta may have been a poor tissue culture, if that's a possibility.

BTW Hostas for Barb, I was wowed by your Stained Glass. Peren.all, ditto for your Regal Splendor.