Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilaschnauzies

HUGE Hosta Move - Am I Doing This Right?

sheilaschnauzies
17 years ago

Oh my gosh. I have just finished a huge project and I hope I have done it right! If not... I lose.

My husband got transferred suddenly in late November and we are having to move from Nebraska to southeast Missouri. We had already had our first freeze and the hosta (several hundred of them!) were all sleeping happily for the winter. The move will take place Jan. 31. WHAT TO DO!!!

All I could think of was to "simulate hibernation" somehow for them to survive the move. First I laid out several bales of straw in my veggie garden. Then I started digging up hosta en masse and simply tossing them on the straw, covering with another layer of straw. I also dug up a lot of other perennials and put them in there too.

Then I have had to just let them sit the last couple of weeks - thankfully they got a lot of rain on them and some snow. The next step will be boxing up straw, plants and all in cardboard boxes (and leaving them outdoors too). This is the part I am tricky on. Should I protect them at that point from moisture - i.e., put the boxes in the garage? Or should I leave them outdoors with the lids open until the actual move? I know eventually they'll fall apart but these are good, heavy moving quality boxes. Lots of them, LOL:)

Once I arrive at the new location, I plan to open the lids of the boxes and allow the plants to get whatever moisture falls. Then once the ground thaws in spring, I can start planting.

Have I remotely done any of this correctly? Ideally I'd have potted each individual one but there is just no way it's feasible (without a semi and a lot of volunteers, LOL!)

Some of you may remember a few years ago the story I wrote about Scooty Maguire and her hostas that she entrusted to my care when she moved to a home and later passed. These are those. They are very, very important to me. (OH - if you want to read that story you can go to www.pearlsoup.com and search for author SheilaNE).

It will be a real surprise once I am there to see who comes up where!!!

Thanks for any input or advice, I really appreciate it!!! My next question undoubtedly will relate to deer and other wildlife and hostas, since we are moving to an acreage in the country!!! Oh boy... that's another story.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

doesn't sound too bad to me .. given the circumstances ....

bottom line.. you did the best ... SO WHY WORRY ABOUT IT .... NEVER forget ... most will grow on the driveway ... lol ...

once boxed .... i would protect them from the rain ... fear destruction of the boxes .... you don't want to find them falling apart at move day ....

and i would fear too much water, rather than too little ... i think my bio still tells of my moving 1500 hosta ... most were lost to rot in spring from early spring break and too much water in a frozen pot ....

i would think air circulation would be more important ...

garages can be a zone or two higher.... if attached to the house.... keep them as cool as possible ... detached garage or the north side of a building with a tarp would be better ....

i will think about this more ... and chime back in .. when anything else seems pertinent ...

but hey ... you did the best you can ... revel .. don't worry ... be happy ... after all... they are just hosta ...

ken

• bunnycat
    17 years ago

Perhaps using heavy duty garbage bags would be useful.
    They won't fall apart when wet like cardboard. The bagged rootballs and extra dirt and straw won't spill out in the move. They can be packed more tightly together during the move.
    I have used garbage bags when relocating hostas or other perennials were too big for any pots that I have, although those were fair weather moves.

However, several autumns ago we had a terrible storm with lightning and winds of up to 89 mph. Two enormous trees in the backyard were felled, and crushed many smaller trees and most of the shrubs in the center of the yard. I dug up the only 2 rhododendrons from under the downed trees and branches that were not destroyed while waiting for the tree guys to cut and remove the huge mess. The damage was so widespread in our area that it took them over a month to get to us. I had no idea when or where I could replant the poor rhodos. Most of the yard was a ten foot high wall of downed tree limbs. I dragged the bags to an undamaged part of my daylily garden. Winter came early, and the poor rhodos sat out until spring with only dirt in the garbage bags to protect them. To my utter shock, they survived undamaged, bloomed and thrived once replanted in the spring.

~Bunnycat

• mctavish6
    17 years ago

I wish you luck with your move. I agree with Ken that keeping them dry as well as as cold as possible is the most important thing. They are amazingly tough. Here are some pictures meant as encouragement for you. I discovered this broken pot with a root in it last spring. It had spent the winter this way, no dirt, no protection what so ever. I potted it up and named it "Poor Baby". It thrived and turned into Platinum Tiara. McT

{{gwi:919440}}

{{gwi:919441}}

• micke
    17 years ago

Welcome to my state! I am from southwest MO. so you will still be aways from me, have you visited MO. before? If not be prepared for the hot dry summers. The move is one of the things that terrifies me, but at least I will have some idea of when we will be moving.
    I think you did great considering what you have to work with, there are alot of mine that I don't know exactly where they are right now, I would have to dig the whole yard up to find them!

• sheilaschnauzies
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Ken, I think you are right about the moisture - I don't want them sitting getting soggy feet!

The last time I moved several hundred hosta here a few years ago, it was August - just soaked them in water for two days and planted and it was fabulous. This time is not so easy!!

Bunnycat, I wish I had the energy to do all the wrapping of roots and packaging like I was going to ship them - boy would that be ideal!!! These huge quantities tho, I figured the straw would protect them. I hope I am right!!

McTavish, thanks for the good wishes! Your Platinum Tiara sure did bounce right back! They are hardy little stinkers aren't they!!

Micke, I am actually from Missouri originally - lived in the KC area most of my earlier life. We've been in Nebraska for about 15 years now. The part of the state we are going to is very beautiful and very different from KC or Nebraska so it should be an interesting life for awhile!!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and great ideas!!! I'll keep you posted on how everything does in the Spring!

• maryann_____chgo
    17 years ago

Sheila, I remember your post from the lst time around and the picture of Scooter's newly relocated plants you were trying to ID. Your linked story is well written and my pleasure to read. Thank you.

Good luck with your current project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scooter McGuire Story

• Janice
    17 years ago

Oh Sheila, you do have a gift of expression in your writing. Tears welled up as I read of your emotions
    and that dear lady's angst in leaving her beloved home and hosta!

You have a very relaxed and natural style without "straining-to-impress"! I felt I was there with you in the events
    you described! And my heart broke, for you, as you revealed your dear friends "final" relocation!

I hope all your hosta do very well in their move and that you continue putting your experiences
    on paper/writing for others to experience, vicariously, as well!

janice

• sheilaschnauzies
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Janice, I am so glad you enjoyed the story - I am blushing from the compliments:) Thank you so much for your good wishes on the move as well!