Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinewifenc

A very special request

Marinewifenc
10 years ago

Hi guys,
I don't know if you remember me from last spring when I started my hosta garden to help me feel closer to my mom who was diagnosed with cancer. Well she passed away 3 days ago.

I am looking to get a tattoo of remembrance, and I want it to be a hosta, it will be in black and white, but I can't find any pictures online that I could use as examples, i want the foliage more than the flower. Or maybe it unfurling to signify the dormancy it went into and coming back.

Does anyone have any photos they think might work to work into a tattoo either on my leg or shoulder, it will be a large tattoo. Or does anyone have any drawings or sketches, or is anyone artistic enough to be able to draw one?

Would really love some help on this. There will be words with the tattoo.

Comments (10)

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about the passing of your mom. I would re-think getting a tattoo. They last forever,and you may regret getting one later in life. I don't have any,but I feel that if you're lucky to come into this world without blemishes,be thankful! That's just my personal opinion. As for black and white,that would be contrary to what we see in hostas. Phil

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

Sorry about your Mom.

I would find a good tattoo artist to work with you on this. Start by finding the shops nearby and check out their work - find someone who is really good with black and gray so their work shows depth. Too many artists can only ink flat images, but the best can really add depth. Since you can't really easily get white into a tattoo then I think black and gray is a great idea.

Once you find a good artist (seriously, don't just go to anyone - drive a long way if you have to) then have them sketch it for you. If you like their sketch then you will know if they are right for you.

Good luck finding the right artist for the job.

Chris

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your Mom, MarineWife. That's good advice from Chris right there. Like Chris said, that shading will be key, since it won't be a color tattoo.

Good luck,
    Don B.

Yes, I remember you, I'm sure others do too...You bought a big bag of hosta bare root plants, right; Like 50 or 100? Please show us pics when they come up this spring!!

• dougald_gw
    10 years ago

H Remember Me is a special hosta that may serve the need. It was actually named in memory of a woman who passed away from cancer http://www.waltersgardens.com/growerscorner/?page=100

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Don't have and pics but want to say sorry about your Mom passing. Hope you find a great tattoo person.

I remember you too and want to see those pics too.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Marine Wife, I've looked at some of my photos. Do you know if you want a stalk or a single flower? I don't have any good stalks, but will post some more when I have time to upload to photobucket.

I'm sorry about your Mom.

bk

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear your Mom passed. Before you go to your chosen tattoo artist, look through the hosta alphabet pictures until you find a shape that speaks to you and bring the picture with you. Then you will both be on the same page about what you like.
    Kathy

• miketropic
    10 years ago

my local gh sells h. remember me and they are beautiful..I would get one for comfort in your situation

• Marinewifenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Are there any places selling hostas now? I definitely want to get a remember me one, and I will put it beside the hosta that mom got for me 3 years ago. I will probably have a difficult time finding the remember me hosta locally, possibly online in spring, hopefully.

The more I think about it and look at pictures of hostas, I can't picture it working in black and white as a tattoo, I may have to rethink it. I may go with a simple fern leaf/frond.

I don't really have to worry about regretting getting a tattoo, I already have 6 and they are all meaningful to me, but this would by far be the most meaningful one I'd be getting.

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

There are a couple of pictures of H. Liberty in the alphabet just recently that I think would work out for a tattoo. I will try to get one ready for you to see, if those that own them do not mind.

One from BChosta

and the other from sunnywood