Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving hostas now

Posted by tepelus 6a N. Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 9:07

Long story short, my boyfriend and I broke up, it was a mutual agreement, and he has agreed to allow me to come back in the spring to dig up whatever plants in the yard to take back up with me to Michigan and plant them in my mom's yard (where they'll actually be appreciated). The next few days are calling for temps in the 40's and 50's, so I was wondering if it'll be an okay idea to dig up a few of the hostas, in particular my mouse ears collection and any other small ones, pot them up and just keep them stored for the rest of the winter with my other potted hostas, that's if the ground is workable for me to do so. I have a lot of daylilies and hostas to move, so the more I can take now the fewer I'll have to dig and haul in the spring. Yay, or Nay?

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving hostas now

i doubt the ground will thaw...

my concern.. would be cut tissue.. thawing in spring ... and rotting in ice cold thawed soil ... before active growth could begin ... i made some big mistakes with such with too early mail order many moon ago ....

if it could be done.. without cutting roots.. like on the tiny ones ... it might work.. might even keep them in the veg crisper in the fridge ...

lots of theory.. but i would NOT bother ... in this season ... as i have NO experience in such..

besides.. its your prized mousers... do you really want to experiment on those???

ken

o
RE: Moving hostas now

Sounds like I would be better off waiting. And besides, like you said, the ground probably wouldn't be thawed enough to do it anyway, maybe and inch down, but not down deep enough around all of the roots. Thanks Ken!

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here