Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Thwarting freeze thaw for potted hosta's

The wife thinks I am off my rocker......

We are having another unusually warm winter with temps from 3 to 10C during the day and lows from -5 to -10C. I have several hosta's that I potted last fall and was worried about losing them to these freeze thaw cycles, even with decent snow cover. So, and much to the DW's dismay, I moved them beside the t-bone steaks in our large freezer to help moderate the temperature.

I already suffer from several gardening related illnesses and am wondering if I have been afflicted with another? Or is behaviour like this "normal" for folks suffering from gardening disorders?

SCG

Comments (7)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I've thought about it. I haven't tried it yet, though. I'm having trouble with plantaginea. It comes up with the slightest warming trend, and we go from the upper teens to 60 F all the time.

Be aware that a freezer wicks away moisture from your plant. Keep them well wrapped. I lost several from a dry winter last year, so I'm more cautious with that now.

Also be aware that the freeze/thaw is not the problem. Mine freeze and thaw all the time. But, they completely thaw. The problem is the 1/2 thaw that traps moisture on the top of the plant around the eye. The water can't drain, because the bottom is still frozen. It causes rot.

Let us know how it goes. (Maybe I could buy a refrigerator just for the picky hosta.)

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

So, and much to the DW's dismay, I moved them beside the t-bone steaks in our large freezer to help moderate the temperature.

I already suffer from several gardening related illnesses and am wondering if I have been afflicted with another?

==>>>

yes.. yes you are ...

treat with bacon ...

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Well, cha!

If you can still get to the extra bacon, you should be ok.

tj

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I am in zone 5, so have those thaw/freeze cycle too. I usually tipped pots with hostas on its side in a shady spot.
    But I have a 10 gallon black plastic nursery pot with a not important hosta standing upright uncovered and unshaded in the open. The plant surface is 2 inches below the pot's rim. That plant survived there now for several years. Probably thaw/ freeze generates a gap between plastic and soil for drainage. That is, plastic and soil act differently due to thermal expansion/contraction; plastic expands more on increasing temperature while the soil stays frozen, creating a gap.
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Wed, Jan 21, 15 at 10:11

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I think it is often important to see how others that have conditions like you deal with situations.

As per advice, I bought a whole pig to surround the Hostas.

Curing some to be smoked for bacon now BUT bought 8 packs of bacon, thawed, wrapped Hostas. Good advice.

Then based on all the bacon advice I decided to start my hosta seeds in bacon, no soil, paper towels or what have you, I am stepping UP!!!

By chance does starting in bacon provide more streakers, or maybe more rugous leaves?

SCG

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Bacon cures everything. Just ask Ken.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

SouthCountryGuy, you have come to the right place with your health problems. If we cannot fix it with hostas and bacon, it cannot be done.

Ken keeps telling us that hostas are strong, just throw them on the driveway, maybe a little bacon grease would make them taste better when ready to harvest your crop.

Little did I know when I put up the picture of my DH's bag of Hormel bacon bits that it would lead the forum down the pig trail so happily.

Perhaps BK could find a cold storage locker to put her pots inside, she has connections with foodies I'm sure. For me, I have not tipped a single pot this winter. We sat in my hosta garden yesterday, and from what my DH said about it looking good, I realize he has a vision problem, added to his hearing problem, and his knee problem, Perhaps by spring (which comes early in this zone) the remodel will be over and I'll be in gardening mode. I'm having the professionals paint the house so I can go straight to the garden.

My computer was on the blink from unexpected power on/off/on/off so often now has come back to life with a few strange issues. Overall I can now use the computer, no problem. It is bringing home the bacon with remodel in progress that is occupying my time. Once the process began, it does not want to stop.