Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luuk_gw

What's your type?

luuk
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you have a favorite type of Hosta, my favorite is kikutii type especially for its elongated leaves, in particular I love Mikawa-no-Yuki, I think it's spectacular, I like the lance-shaped leaves, the deep veins and the grey-green color with white back. I have also Biddy's Blue, both new to me last year.
So, let me know your tastes and preferences.

Comments (20)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

This type. Upright, or semi-upright, big leaves with ruffles and flourishes (leaf curl, leaf tip twist) and large sized. Oh yeah, I'd like them in all colors and variegations please.

Steve

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    10 years ago

Anything that comes from Montana...large, vase shaped and gorgeous.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Blue and Yellow variagated hostas seem to be my preference, although it's like picking between your children, if you know what I mean! The bigger, the better, for me. I have no interest whatsover in minis, that's just me. A lot of my top favs in the garden seem to have halcyon genes, but not all of them. There is just nothing like a gorgeous blue with yellow to set it off.

• luuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys !
    Steve, very nice, it's a Cutting Edge ?

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

I really like the vase shaped upright ones like sagae, krossa regal, nigrescens, liberty and others.

I have a bit of a weakness for blues too.

Not really interested in the minis although I do have a blue mouse ears.

I don't yet have a yellow hosta, its not that I don't like them but am not sure how to use them in the overall scheme, suppose i just gotta bite the bullet and go for it.

Not fond of the streaked ones, yet!

I am only getting started with this hosta drug so tastes will probably change over time.

Denis

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I'm a hosta slut; can't decide what's my favorite. Bold green and white, super subtle coloring, streaked, big, tiny, ruffled, smooth, love them all.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Luuk, that's Stingray.

Steve

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I have to say that margined hosta are still my favorite. I love how the white or yellow edge outlines each leaf so that you can see the shape and texture. That being said, I found myself buying more solid colored hosta last year, greens and blues. My DH says I "get in a mode". Well, so be it, I'm in a seedling mode right now, who knows what mode will come next.

Beverly

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    10 years ago

Anything wavy or rippled, vase shaped or cascading, catches my eye lately.
    Previously, it was bright and bold variegation, with smooth leaves tapering to a point.

• igmommy
    10 years ago

I, like Beverly, seem to get in a groove depending on the year. At first I didn't like the yellow or gold, because they somehow reminded me of dead or dying hosta. Then, all of a sudden one year, I liked them and added many. At one time I didn't really appreciate the blues so much. Now I have many blues. Fickle, I guess.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Stingray, you say Steve...wow that is just gorgeous ! Now I want it too
    Faye

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

I'll take Stingray in yellow please! As of late, I am into the yellows, vase shape & ripples! Maybe with a white margin?
    Terri

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

That's a good looking hosta, Steve.

I'm not sure I have a type, either. I go through stages. It changes from year to year. Right now, I'm into ruffles. LS Cindy Cee will be on my next mail order.

And, too, it depends on what is available locally. I really prefer to buy that way when I can.

bk

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

About a third of my hosta have big margined leafs. My favorite type for sure. I like all my plants big!

But, I think my Touch of Class is my favorite plant. I love these colors. I also love this leaf pattern even though I don't know how to describe it.

• luuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for sharing your preferences.
    MadP, ahah you're so funny !
    harryshoe, your Touch of Class is attractive, ...really

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I woulda answered sooner Luuk, but I was having a hard time typing a response to this question LOL.

I guess I'll have to say, I love big, broad, round/oval/heart-shaped leaves more than anything. But then again, 'Stingray is also a favorite, and I love vase-shaped hostas with rippled leaves, like 'Stingray' and 'Lakeside Surf Rider'. I also love variegation, notably plants like 'Guacamole', 'El Capitan' and 'Lakeside Kaleidoscope', and also many from the 'June' family. 'Dance With Me' jumps to mind, too. I also have a big love for fragrant hostas.

Good question, but a tough question!!

Cheers,
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

"Oh yeah, I'd like them in all colors and variegations please."
    --Steve

LOL Yeah, no kidding!!

Don B.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Basically,I like the big ones. I have a couple of mouse ears types,but they disappear in my garden,so I won't be getting any more. I'm anxious to see my 'Dino',a sport of T-Rex when it comes up this year. Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

"I like BLOO ones. They taste more good."

Fred

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

I love rippled edges, especially Niagara Falls. And I would agree with Harry. Touch of Class is one of my favourites.
    Otherwise, I really like vase-shaped specimens.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012