Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_see

Was it a prize purchase?

hosta-see
10 years ago

Have you purchased Gunthers Prize and if so was it a prize purchase or do you wish you could revise your purchase? Enquiring minds would like to know!

Comments (12)

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Mine had two eyes this year, and one started turning green and had to be cut off. I knew that GP wasn't very stable when I bought it, and expected to have that kind of problem. As long as it keeps one streaked eye, I'm happy. I planted the cut off bit and will at least have a Gunther's Rim if it continues to stabilize. It was expensive, but it's so different and so beautiful, I don't regret a thing.

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

It's tough to say I regret it because it is alive, but I don't think it is worth it.

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

I bought mine five years ago on the Hosta Library Auction. (From Trudy)
    Luckily it has stayed streaked, increased steadily and is one if my favorites.

Dan

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    10 years ago

I got mine 3 years ago as an O.S. from Fransens in Holland. It has grown steadily with no reversion and I am hoping for a leap in size this Spring. It came as a single large division with a tiny eye attached, I potted this up separately and it also is doing well but a long way to go to reach full size.
    I bought Blizzard which is also out of Sum and Substance via Winter Snow. This is also a good grower but of the two Gunthers Prize has it for me.
    Sorry no pictures, the laptop is in for repair.
    Dave

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, Dan. That's quite a specimen.

Don B.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

I'm a Sub & Substance family collector, so I had to have it. I bought a single eye in 2012 and it grew to 5 eyes in 2013. I have it growing in a pot in full sun.

Here it is shortly after I purchased it.

And the following season:

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

$90 a division with a chance of green sports.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

yes its worth it ... because you wnated it.. what more is there to the equation ...

but it will throw all kinds of derivations ... meaning it will have to be dug up repeatedly ...

i wonder how fransen got OS stock on the continent ....

on the other hand.. it wouldnt surprise me.. based on price.. that it does not go thru TC favorably ...

listen to me ... you had the $$$ ... you bought it because you wanted it..

lifes too short to worry about buyers remorse ...

ken

• Gesila
    10 years ago

hmmm.... $90 a division. Looks like my investment of $75 has turned into $450. Better than any of my mutual funds!

I grew it in the full sun so it would grow fast to get a bigger plant. But I might just have to sell off a few divisions this spring!

Also experimenting with my streakers by growing them in full sun. I had an Ice Age Trail that had almost reverted all the way back to solid that produced streaked eyes after moving it into the sun.

Gesila

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Gesila, I noticed yours has some areas of solid green. How far do you let that progress before you get worried? Mine had a couple 1/3 green leaves and I panicked and divided it. Maybe putting the "new" plant in more sun will bring back more streaking. Whatever you're doing, it certainly seems to work, gorgeous plant.

I actually had GP in full sun in a pot, but one hot day it dried out and wilted. Lost most of the biggest leaf - so now it's in the ground in bright shade and part sun.

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Madplanter, not sure about the leaves that are half solid green since it was only in its second year. But I did notice from looking at pictures of it earlier in the season that all of the leaves that came up after I put it back into the sun were all streaky.

Most of my other streakers that reverted had entire eyes without streaking and I divided them out right away. I didn't feel the need to do that with my Gunther's Prize last year.

Gesila

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    Ken, you wondered how Fransens had OS plants so I emailed them and here is his answer.
    Hi David,
    The GuntherâÂÂs Prize O.S. we offered was obtained from Jim Schwarz many years ago during a Hosta convention in the US. It was actually my dad who bought it from Jim for $600. This was a huge plant with 3 big divisions. One part we tried in t.c. but it was not successful many came as stable forms (green with a yellow edge) that we named âÂÂUfoâÂÂ.
    Kind regards,
    Marco
    Verzonden: vrijdag 10 januari 2014 14:22
    Aan: info@hostaparadise.com
    Onderwerp: Gunther's Prize OS
    Hi Marco and Joyce,
    I have been posting on the Garden Web Hosta forum and told them about my plant I got from you a few years ago. They were interested to know how you obtained OS plants in Holland.
    Is there a story I can tell them to satisfy there curiosity ?
    Best wishes
    David