Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corrugated leaves

Posted by bkay2000 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 14:08

I've noticed that none of my hosta have much, if any, corrugation. My oldest plants (besides noids) will be in their 5th year, but none have corrugation. Is it influenced by climate? age?

One of my 10+ year old noids is probably hyacinthia and it has no corrugation. Francee has no corrugation, neither does S&S, which I bought in 2009.

Inquiring minds want to know.

bk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corrugated leaves

I believe it is mostly a matter of time, and having the types that are prone to developing the texture ...

o

Try Brother Stefan and Lakeside Prophecy. Both are outstanding for corrugation.

o

I bought Brother Stephan last year. I don't have LS Prophecy, but it's a beauty. I contemplated a large Manhattan that was available locally last year, but was afraid that the cupping would collect too much trash. Maybe they will have it again. I would give it a shot, as some I've seen on the forum didn't seem to cup very much, if any.

I was just curious why mine don't have any corrugation. I wonder if it's the pot, the age or the climate or- all three.

bk

o

Plantagenia types, of which you have a few, are not corrugated. Tokudamas and Sieboldianas tend to be more corrugated. You may have just selected plants that don't become corrugated. Look for a Lakeside with good corrugation and try that. LS Prophecy, LS Full Tide, LS Frosted Mint. These should work.

Steve

o

What got me thinking about this was Don's thread about Francee. This is my Francee last summer.
My Francee 8-2013 photo DSCN1471-1.jpg

This is Sunnywood's Francee
Sunnywood's Francee photo sunnywoodfrancee.png

Now, they don't look very different is size. I don't know how old that one is, but it is in the ground. Of course, mine is in a pot.

I was looking at S&S in the library. Viktoria's is VERY corrugaged. Bevie Schmidt's is not. They are both in the ground.

It's an interesting question.

bk

o

Hm, that is interesting, BKay. I wish I had something to contribute, besides this comment...Corrugated or not, you have a fantastic 'Francee', there BKay. That one is so nice I'd even boot one of my 'Guacamole' to the front yard to make room for it.

Don B., Gonna get a REAL 'Francee' this spring!!

o

BK, there's no doubt maturity plays a role. And I suspect climate plays a role as well. The Hyacinthina family only shows moderate corrugation, and at least in my climate I have found the corrugation to be somewhat more pronounced on the earliest emerging leaves, which come out when the temps are still low at night.

If you're looking for something with a more pronounced corrugation, look at 'Big Daddy' or 'Ice Age Trail' -both slow growers- or 'Clear Fork River Valley'.

Pieter

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 0:03

I believe it is age (maturity) and variety. Keep watching that Francee for the next few years. Shorter dormancy might play a part in (slow down) their maturity. For certain it makes them less vigorous. That was shown in a "Hosta Science" experiment years ago. I'm so glad I can still grow them here that I am willing to wait.

HH (Hosta Hillbilly) is Bevie's husband. You could ask him if he knows how old that particular Francee was when the photo was taken. That could answer the question right away.

-Babka

o

age of the plant is a definite factor. If you have a nicely rugose plant and you split it, you can sometimes set the corrugation back a couple of years, which is ... frustrating.

dave

o

My FRANCEE is about a 6 year old. That picture was taken in early JUNE. The plant gets twice that size by early Aug. My question is, dose potting make a difference in the growth of a HOSTA as to size and other characteristics?

o

I found this an intriguing question.

I looked up the history of Brother Stefan in my garden. It always had some variation but it has steadily gotten much more so. It has always been in the ground and had decent conditions and a lot of light.

Blue Betty Lou has always puzzled my sister and I. I got a division of her plant way back when. Her plant was always beautiful but very different than mine. Her's had much less corrugation and was a different color blue. The growing conditions had to make the difference. In addition to that her plant went through a big challenge. It was in the ground and wonderful for years. In 2008 she moved it to a barrel to relieve crowding in a bed where Leading Lady and Sea Fire were trying to eat up everyone in site. In 2009 and 2010 it was still full but had noticeably less corrugation. In 2010 it looked 'funny'. In 2011 it deteriorated a lot. She dug it up and found out the invasive tree roots were crawling up through the bottom of the barrel. 2012 it began to come back to life and 2013 had large leaves again but nearly no corrugation.

The last two pictures show her mamma plant and my child one. You'd never know they were related.

This is probably more than you wanted to know but I'll post these pictures anyway in case they are of interest to someone.

First, Brother Stefan

Brother Stefan 7  (45)

Brother Stefan 7-11-13 (3)

And Blue Betty Lou

Blue Betty Lou Judy 2006-2009

Blue Betty Lou 2010-2013

Blue Betty Lou mother

Blue Betty Lou  child 7-5-13 (2)

o

Sunnywood, the pot does make a difference. They never get as big as those in the ground. But, also, they don't get as big in warmer areas as they do up in the frozen north. Mary Chastain (Lakeside hostas - lives in Tennessee) was loosely quoted as saying it was disappointing that other people could get her plants to grow larger than she could.

McT, It looks like Brother Stephan started out rugose and stayed that way. You can definitely tell the difference in the BBL in the pot and in the ground. I just pulled up my photos from my first year Brother Stephan. It's already rugose and I never noticed it.

Rugosity is not usually one of the characteristics that I look for in a hosta. I find I like Sum and Substance without the rugosity, which is lucky for me as that's how mine is. I think Manhattan is the first rugose hosta that really captured my interest for that characteristic.

I plan to pay closer attention to the early leaves to see if they have more rugosity than the later leaves. Apparently, it's genetics, ground or pot, maturity and climate.

Thanks.

bk

o

Here in the frozen North in 2011 my young h. 'Brother Stefan' looked also already rugose / corrugated. I think rugosity depends on the cultivar, getting more with age, same as with people. Bernd

o

Yeah, genetics, age and environment.

Some of us are more corrugated than others.

bk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here