Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uk_hostaman

found some pictures of the late and great' papou's garden

uk-hostaman
12 years ago

a true inspiration and i sadly wasnt around when he was posting..his website is sadly gone but managed to find some of his pictures..hope his family wont mind me posting these as they show what can be done using great combinations of hostas

Comments (31)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Thanks, UK for showing these. I'd not seen them before. What a fabulous garden. The Hostas are grown to perfection.

Steve

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

His website was inspiring. He also had photos of leaves which I used in 2009 to sort out the hostas in my own landscape. He loved 'Liberty'.
    Bernd

• leafwatcher
    12 years ago

It was exhausting to LOOK at pictures of all his gardens, I have no idea how he maintained them so well !

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

If I remember right,he had access to a lake for free water,which he pumped up to use in his garden,and he picked and counted slugs,endlessly! He had,probably the best garden I have ever seen. I hope his surviving family is still maintaining it! Phil

• thisismelissa
    12 years ago

His edges are meticulous!
    And I don't think I've ever seen such a huge Fire & Ice!

Thanks for sharing these!

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

It's wonderful that newer forum members are becoming acquainted with our dear Papou. When he died some of us planted Liberty in his honor. It's sad that his website is no longer there, but I found that by double clicking on the photos above, I was taken to his photobucket account where there were 169 pics, mostly of individual hostas. Every spring, he counted the eyes of each plant and recorded the number along with each photo. Another project was to identify the home location of forum members, to show where hosta growing and interest were concentrated. He served the hosta community in so many ways that it is not surprising how many expressions of appreciation and sadness were recorded here at the time of his death.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

What an incredible source of data. Take a look at his Fire and Ice.

This pic is from year 6 when it had 60 eyes. Notice that is does "leap" from year 2 to 3 going from 3 to 7 eyes. But after that it skyrockets nearly tripling in size from year 3 to 4, and then going from 31 to 60 eyes between year 5 and 6. I know that this is just one garden, but it gives real data on the vigor of a lot of different plants.

Click on one of the pics in this thread and then view it as a slide show. What a treat.

Steve

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

Further to the above, one click on any photo takes you to photobucket. Then click on "Papou's album" in the upper left for the 169 photos in the album. The slideshow is also a treat, just as Massachusetts Steve suggests.

- the other Steve

• Gesila
    12 years ago

What a wonderful way to spend a snowy afternoon in January! Papou's album is wonderful. I was very sad when I found the link to his web-site no longer worked.

I loved how he documented the number of eyes. From all of his research, I've determined that I have two more years until I suffer the effect of over-crowding my hostas!

Gesila

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

other Steve, I also planted (2) Liberties in his honor, wonderful plants. Thanks for that link, it is now another great Hosta bookmark. He also has another set of photos about all his gardens, total is at least twice your 169 photos.
    Bernd

• User
    12 years ago

Papou's gardens were and continue to be an inspiration. Thank you for sharing his photos. I also planted a Liberty in his honor and miss his beautiful website. He had a great system for tracking his collection on MS Access. At one point he had shared the layout with me, however I have yet to learn to use Access and continue to rely on Excel for my collection. I have been growing Fire and Ice for ever and can easily count the eyes on one hand. He was a master at growing hosta!

• User
    12 years ago

Here's one more of Papou's photos. He had the most incredible Sun Power.

I'm trying to grow one and the voles keep eating the roots. However this picture is so inspiring, I will keep trying.

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thats the picture that made me buy my 'sunpower'..truly amazing!.....god i wish i had the room in my garden to grow so many large specimens

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    12 years ago

For those who haven't found Papou's remaining photo albums, here's the link:

Pieter

• User
    12 years ago

I am in awe of the SunPower. Fantastic plant. For some reason, I see a connection between it and Sum & Substance, like they are watching each other across a crowded room. I know if I was Sunpower, I'd be making eyes at S&S....oops, I made a pun....and vice versa.

Thanks for the link to Papou's album, and for putting up some of the pictures with statistics on the garden growth.

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Sun Power is a plant introduced by Paul Aden. It's parentage is listed as 'Aden 217' x 'Aden 219'. Basically two different Aden seedlings that were not introduced and used only by him for breeding purposes. Paul Aden often kept the origin of his introductions bathed in mystery. This may have been because he didn't want other hybridizers to know what he was doing and copy his crosses, or it may have been because his record keeping was so bad that he really didn't know what the parentage was.

We don't know where Sum and Substance came from and it's possible that Aden didn't know either. It's possible that Sun Power has some S&S genes in it. But from the leaf shape and from it's progeny (Abba Dabba Do --> Atlantis) it seems likely that Montana is in its background.

Sunpower
    {{gwi:590816}}

Atlantis

montana Aureomarginata

Steve

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Thanks UK, etal for the pix and Pieter for the link.

Evidently my Fire & Ice is planted too deep and I'll need to look in spring. At 10 years mine only has about 20 eyes. Of course, lake water would help as well.

tj

• mjjones453
    12 years ago

tj, My Fire and Ice is in mostly sun, and has done very well! Maybe that will help also! Mary

• skippy1936 (zone 5b Nebraska)
    12 years ago

He truly had a gift. Thanks for the photos. Loved seeing his garden again. He also had the best website I've ever seen.

• hostarhodo
    12 years ago

Thanks for the memories people, I say with tears in my eyes. Shows the new hosta growers why we loved Papou so much and why we say Papou's Liberty in honor of him.

Betty

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I wasn't able to click on a photo and go to his album - is it still available? I remember Papou from years ago.......a real inspiration. Judith

• zone7patti (7b)
    9 years ago

I googled 'papou' and got to Photobucket Ghislain Seguin. Then an hour slippped away. I can hardly wait for my hostas to leaf out now that I have a chance of id'ing a couple of them from his leaf pix! WooHoo!

• m b
    8 years ago

A true labour of love. Very inspiring !

• don_in_colorado
    8 years ago

Amazing.

• threedogsmom
    8 years ago

I also planted a Liberty in his honor and it really is the most beautiful hosta I own. I was lucky enough to read his posts and study his photos and was amazed at how well designed his gardens were. If you don't have a Liberty in your collection, I urge you to get one in 2016. You will not be disappointed!

• almosthooked zone5
    7 years ago

Just came across this posting of Papou and wonderful pictures that have inspired us over the years. Miss the ones that use to post as in Steve Mass and many others . What gardens they grew/ grow . Must share

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    7 years ago

I often put his photobucket on slideshow and sit back with a cup of coffee- and I see something new every time I do it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 years ago

How lovely to see this replay today. I have two Liberty hosta planted for Papou. Luckily, I am on vacation, so I suspect I will follow cearbhaill's lead and watch the slideshow with my tea in the morning. Can hardly wait!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

His garden looks like an arboretum! Absolutely gorgeous, perfectly designed, rich mix of color and of course such grand sizes on all his plants! I would have loved to see it in person. Thanks to pieter and pammie for the links. I now have bookmarked his collection. What a wonderful talent and artist he was and clearly an inspiration to all forum members who followed his work and/or knew him personally.

• n2hostas (Kansas)
    4 years ago

Debra, you said it! I always loved opening his post. Inspirational! His legacy lives on!

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus