Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

YOU people...!!!!!!!!!

are the biggest enablers I've ever met! It seems I have some sort of monster inside me that requires more and more hostas to "feed the beast". The hosta alphabet is really not helping that, either. Neither are all of the new catalogs coming out in the dead of winter when there is no gardening to distract you from them!

I am curious as to how many hostas others have preordered for spring delivery. Come on, fess up and make me feel better about this!

Comments (33)

• brucebanyaihsta
    10 years ago

Not me - I have been in rehab away from the gardens for 3 months now, almost cured.........

Ahhhhhhhh! Why am I looking out the windows at my garden as I type! And all I see are the dry bloom scapes looking back at me!

You know you are in trouble when you keep garden catalogs for more than 10 years , even though the actual people went out of business!

The photos are pretty!

Bruce

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

What can I say? I've ordered. But, I'm not addicted. Chris had those plantagineas and I've been wanting a good one for a couple of years now. Then, since there is freight anyway, I just added a couple that I had been wanting, since I had to pay freight anyway. That makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

A guy who works for me told me last summer that I was addicted. He said, "Everytime you have to deliver, you stop and buy a new hosta. You're addicted, Barb."

He's wrong, you know.

I haven't had a new hosta since those came in October from Green Mountain. If I was truly addicted, I couldn't have waited this long.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL OK, Barbara, whatever helps you sleep at night. Heh heh; )

I've actually ordered only one so far (H. Justice), but it's only January yet. I have about 20 in various vendors' carts, just adding more before I pay for them. I'm getting set to hit Hallson Gardens pretty hard.

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

that is one of the reasons i dont visit the ABC posts.. at all ...

ken

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

I do my best to enable. Then I just fit in and no one notices. Paula

• miketropic
    10 years ago

I have 4 or 5 on order..a couple were in a combo with some other things so the shipping was all the same. I wanted to order a bunch from a local place but they don't take pre orders. They did say they would deliver them to a plant show in April for me for free so I save 70 miles and shipping cost.. The only other one I know I will get this year is from ebay

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

You can start growing hostas from seed. That way you keep being enabled all year. You then go to view your hosta seedlings several times in the day to 'refresh' your addiction.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

DW force feeds me tranquilizers and other mood altering drugs in order to keep me in check. Instead of ordering new plants I just sit here drooling and blithering while staring into the computer. Occasionally, I post a ridiculous message.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

No preorder, but a long wish list, and the hosta game is adding to it. In a month or two I'll be taking the list and hunting for vendors.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, YOU people aren't making me feel better at all! Don, 1--really? I'm glad Hallson's is about to be struck, otherwise, I'd start worrying about you :)

I am actually quite surprised that most of you haven't ordered, at least not much yet (except for maybe bkay--truly a sister for me, it seems!) I am even more embarrassed than I was before--yikes.

I'm up to ** so far. See, I can't even type it! Good grief...Harry, does your wife have any extra tranqs??? I might need those...

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

42 ordered and paid for so far, and I've got a $15 gift certificate for joining AHS burning a hole in my pocket.
    Kathy

• hosta-see
    10 years ago

Funnthsun,
    I will do my part in helping make you sad sacks feel better for wanting to feed your habits! I admit I am a hostaholic and tried to stop my withdrawals by using New Hampshire Hostas, Jim's Hostas and Hallson Garden some of the best Hosta junkies in the business! I started out with one hit of Humpback whale that wasn't enough so I tried a second hit with some really strong and expensive stuff, this time using a little bit of Gunthers Rim and little more of Christmas Tree Gala and then I pulled out the hard stuff purchasing Gunther's Prize!!! Yes I went for the ultimate fix! What's so sad about being a Hostaholic is you can't ever get enough so I'm looking to make a connection with the biggest Hosta junkie of them all Wade Gatton Nursery to see if they can give me a fix that will stop my withdrawals!
    Sorry I have to go blow my nose!
    Hosta-See

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That's sarcasm, right Ken? : P

Don B.

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Look here folk, there are alot worse things to be addicted to ($200 boots, purses, gambling),just for starters! At least Plants are around for awhile!! I have 10 Hosta and 11 other shade plants coming so far, among them 5 new heuchera and the new catalogues are just coming out! Out side of the occasional Marguerita, I don't drink and we quit smoking in 1980, so I think one little addiction is not too bad! MY Darlin' husband was addicted to tools, he had every tool known to man at the time so we understood each other pretty well. I am not not a 'fashionista', so clothes are not on my priority list, I hate to cook and so food is pretty much a necessary evil with me! So I am hooked on my yard, and especially my Hosta and shade plants.And of course you nice people here and at Hallsons don't help when you post all those gorgeous pictures! Now where did I put that latest catalogue? I am sure there are some mispelled word in here, but it is late and I am tired, and as soon as I have checked out the new "wish book' I am headed for bed. (P.S. I am Rosemarie at Hallsons!)

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

I have over 200 euros worth of Hostas in my shopping cart at my ''suppliers shop''. Not going to get them all but every time I look at an alphabet thread....

• miketropic
    10 years ago

very true there could be alot worse things to have an addiction to. my wife is 50/50 with it. I never tell the price and she wont ask. I only get the look when one passes on or isn't looking so well. she's better about the hostas and things than she is about all the tropicals that come in over winter or need protection. I only have 8 or 9 hostas on my want list but the rest of it makes it seem very very long and my need to have it all right now can't wait isn't helping matters any

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I don't try to influence anyone about hostas. Most of the people I know here in Franklin wouldn't know one hosta from another,but the folks on here,well,that's another story! I really don't order much on line,but last year,I did break down and order Dino,because you can't find it locally. I think I will go up the road to a nursery near here and get Goodness Gracious,which I saw last year. Phil

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

That's sarcasm, right Ken? : P

=====

nope ... cant do it ..

its all or nothing ...

i tried with the A post ... it hurt too much.. to deny myself ....

and its even harder.. to stop by chris' to chew the slug with him... [ok.. i disgusted myself with that one.. lol] .... and walk out with nothing ... so i rarely stop by.. though i wouldnt claim he is 'close by' convenient ....

nothing.. nada ... whats the word.. ahhhh..cold turkey ...

ken

• miketropic
    10 years ago

My local Green house has alot but most are mis labeled and some even stay up year round inside so there a bit weak but I might stop by and grab a few from them as well in spring

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I don't buy them from local sources anymore because I've been burned by virused plants a bunch of times. That's OK, I don't need local sources with companies like Hallson Gardens, Green Mountain, Green Hill, Naylor Creek, Wade-Gatton, Venero and others happy to sell me virus-free hostas.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

But, Don!

You can't get those great big multi-eyed plants online. The only way to find them is to ferret them out in the local nurseries in the spring. In defense of the local nurseries, many carry clean stock. Brumley's, one of my local nurseries, buys starts from Walters and grows them out in pots. The others carry Monrovia, Green Leaf and that one out of New Jersey. I tested the first ones from Green Leaf, but they were clean. But, I grow in pots, so a bad one will not transfer to another.

Stil, I don't consider the local nurseries in the same class as the big box stores. I also try to shop local.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I learned my lesson, BKay. Elegans, my 2 August Moon, a nice big 'Gold Standard' all with 10 plus eyes, all bought from local nurseries, and all ruined with HVX (including several little ones that were infected, of course). Big, multieyed plants that are diseased are useless to me, and trashed accordingly. If I ever find any locals that have plants originating from Walters or Q and Z, that'd be great. I would buy them for sure. I won't hold my breath, though; The hosta selections out here are pretty poor. Until then, I'll gladly get 'em from Hallson Gardens and Green Mountain. They may not have 10 eyed plants, but I know they're not virused : )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 0:20

• miketropic
    10 years ago

my local has good clean multi eyed plants I just shy away from them due to the lack of tags or mis tagged plants..the ones I can id I do get and have been wonderful so far. since I could not find all my H remember me plants when I moved I have to stop in there and grab another

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Well, you have a point. I got a diseased Royal Standard from one of the "best" nurseries in town. But, I do have that "pot" thing going on. If I get an infected one, it doesn't spread.

I got a gorgeous Paul's Glory last year. I tested it and it was clean. When I can get a plant this size, I'll take a chance. (This is after it recovered from the tree limb falling on it.)

bk

10 years ago

Its unfair to call us enablers. No one here tries to make you "want" another hosta. Instead, as a public service, we provide useful information concerning those hosta which are deemed essential.

For instance, you must have Touch Of Class. Absolutely beautiful and vigorous:

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, you guys informed me about the essentialness of Touch of Class last year! It seems there are A LOT of hostas needed to "sustain" oneself. :-) Sort of like vitamins...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

This is me before ordering.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

This is me after ordering. As you can see, placing hosta orders is part of my healthy living routine. Obviously.

Cynthia

10 years ago

Well...actually, vitamins are a supplement. Hosta, on the other hand, are the main course.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

This was the last one I bought from a local shop. It had a Walters tag in the pot with the name of the hosta (Tropical Storm) so I snatched it up. Had a gold plant sporting out of it, so it was like a buy-one-get-one! Has a lot of eyes on it. (about 10 or so). Great buy at half off from 14.99. Wish I could find more.

LOL Cyn, that is hilarious! (and so accurate)!!

Cheers,
    Don B.

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

There is nothing wrong with this forum! I can stop any time I want...right after I get my 12' x 40' shade house I bought a couple of months ago set up and I get my seedlings that I started this winter planted and I place my order for liners to sell this spring, so I can finish collecting the fragrant ones and get a good start on the mouse family and I finish making my own potting mix and I get all of my current ones repotted and I finish leafing through the encyclopedia of hostas and...yeah, I can stop whenever I want!

• User
    10 years ago

Don, Hallsons merged my two orders and even emailed me about a special host a unexpectedly available. I will get it too. Somewhere around 20 host a, counting the duplicates.

Oops, forgot the Green Mt order.
    Now on to Savory, Avalon, Solberg, Wade....you get the picture. ;)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Ok now I have 27 on order. I fit right in. Great humor Cynthia

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH