Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostatakeover

Hosta Library

Wow, has everyone had a chance to check out the new front page to the Hosta Library? Looks GREAT!

Comments (12)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Looks good. My only gripe is that I'd love to know more information about the front page photos. Think the last few have been seedlings, would be neat to know what the crosses are.

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Agreed, bungalow. So often I see really stunning ones and wish they were ID'd in some way.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Wow ! That is a big change at the HL.

I e-mailed Bob a few months ago asking about some of those shots and he said they are his seedlings. No names. He is very good about answering e-mails, but at first glance I cannot find his "contact me" address on that site. I tried at the "send us photos" but that link is unresponsive. The new front page looks to be a work in progress, and a FINE one at that.

I am so very grateful to Bob Axmear for setting up and maintaining such a wonderful, and now most attractive, library for Hosta info.

-Babka

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

The hosta community owes a humongous debt of gratitude to the unpaid efforts of Bob Axmear to start and maintain the Hosta Library for all these years.

On a different note, I have just done a major update of the Hosta Comparison Routine. Th list has now been expanded to 6313 varieties. Not something you're likely to use every day, but a useful resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare Hosta Library pictures

• hostatakeover swMO
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thank you, pietertje. That's some project and will prove to be useful. So appreciate you taking the time to do that.

And yes, thanks to Bob Axmear the HL continues to be an endless source of critical information and great fun for Hosta novices and enthusiasts alike.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

The hosta library has really helped me learn a lot more about the hostas I have, and helps with ordering any new ones by being able to see more than just the photo on the web site that wants to sell them. And what a good looking new front page.

pietertje, your site is also very helpful in comparing hostas I'm thinking of buying. You had a wonderful idea to set up the side by side comparison. I saved it the last time you posted it, and I'm glad to see you posted again to let others know.

These are both valuable resources for a hosta lover, and I'm so glad to have people out there putting forth the effort.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

pietertje:

Thanks for all you have been doing to maintain the comparison picture site. I use it all the time. Especially this week as I have been revisiting my NODES and trying to help others identify theirs. So many hostas look the same and it is quite helpful to see those pictures side by side.

Thank you, thank you!

Barb

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

The library really is such a huge resource. I'm constantly looking at it. Tend to forget that it is a personal site and not ran by a hosta society. Not dipping into the auction profits or monetizing the site is very selfless. You never think about it, but it is true the hosta community does owe the folks that run that site a massive thank you. I'm very grateful for it also and think I will send a thank you email to the sites admin.

Pietertje - how did I not know about your site?! Stayed up last night playing on it. Love it! Like Barb i've been using it to identify my NOIDs. Can also see using it in the spring when it comes time to pick between two similar hostas. Thank you for providing such a great resource!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Oh, Wow Pietertje, I've known about that tool forever. I always thought you had to do some "computer stuff" to use it, so I never even looked. No "computer stuff" whatsoever.

It doesn't get any easier than that.

Thanks,

bk

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Pietertje, thanks for the compare hosta page. I use it at least weekly, sometimes to choose which hosta to order, sometimes to get an idea of how two hostas would look planted next to each other. I have a link to it on my home page. Thanks for such an invaluable tool.

Kathy

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

I will only take credit for keeping the list uptodate, Hugo Phillips is the originator....

And I'm happy to hear folks find it useful, I know I did when I discovered it a number of years ago and when I saw it was no longer being updated I took the bull by the horn.

Pieter

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I did a little internet research before I fell asleep last night and found out that I had read that before and it didn't stick around the easily retrievable memory banks. So huge thanks to Hugo Phillips for the Compare Hosta concept and actualization and more huge thanks to Pietertje for maintaining and updating it.

Kathy