Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

If you could buy just one streaker...

Which one would it be and why would you chose that one? I really want to get one and can't decide which one it should be. If only I had the funds to buy a bunch of them...

Linda

Comments (28)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

not DB .... it grows to slow.. and it reverts ...

i would suggest... you define what leaf shape you would like to play with ... and get a streaker in that shape ...

i think by favorite streaker of all time. ... is ..... and of course.. i am blanking... i can see it.. i can see the label.. i can see the part i dug up in the pot ...and ... there wasted enough time.. lol ...

carp!!! ... and blanked again ... lol ... i THINK ... sea sunrise... something about 3 colors ... but i could not be thinking straight... it having been in single digits now for a week or so ...

its sea something or another ... if i think of it.. in the next 30 degree heat wave.. maybe i will go look at the label cemetery .....

sometimes i wonder.. why i hit send..

ken

BTW .... one dollar taco bell crunchwrap slider... BLT!!!!! ... ==>>> freakin bacon at taco bell.. and no heat ... lets see you beat lunch for $1 .... but i digress .... and i dont want to talk about quality at one dollar ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Linda, I know nothing about streakers, but my first thought was, why do you want one? If it's just to have a pretty one, then tell them you want it for that reason. If you want it for a breeder, tell them that. If you want one that you don't have to cut the solid green eyes out of every year, tell them that. If you want ruffles, or blue, or whatever, tell them that.

Good luck on getting what you want. (My thought on that would be to do a Paul Aden and take your shovel to Dan's house. If I lived close enough, I might be tempted, his are so pretty.)

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 17:18

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol...Ken- you make me laugh! And I agree with you...Bacon makes everything better!

Bkay- I want one because I think they are pretty and I think it would be fun to try growing some of the seeds. I am not picky about what color or size but I would prefer one the doesn't revert easily, if there is such a thing.

Believe me, If I lived closer to Dan's house....well, you get the idea LOL. Maybe a little midnight requisition?

Linda

This post was edited by tropic_lover on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 17:22

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have well growing seedlings of h. 'Dorothy Benedict', 'Topo Gigio' and 'Blue Lightning' plus others from seeds from Jeff Miller, Dan Wols and Trudy van Wyk. 'Blue Lightning' is coming from 'Blue Umbrellas' and probably will be big. I am only in this for 3 years.
    One seedling of 'Fickle Blue Genes' had a yellow with green margin sport last year, can't wait to see what's coming of it this spring. It's fun.
    Bernd

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

I can tell you that I chose 'Kaleidochrome'. It is reported to stay consistently streaked but not many pods form. I planted it last fall and was pleased with the growth.
    The other one I have is 'Powder Keg', just planted this fall. It will produce many seed pods. I chose this one because it is a sport of 'Powder Blue' and it is a favorite of mine.
    Hopefully some of the guys and gals here that are super knowledgeable about streakers will have grown these.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I usually prefer the more subtle streakers, but Dan and others certainly have some very attractive bold striped plants.

Stargate is an example of the subtler streaking I like.

Unfortunately, that is not my plant.

tj

9 years ago

That Stargate is edged ... I would not be happy about that if I wanted streaker

Ken

And has a greendivision

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

So Ken, that is why I said I preferred "subtle streakers". Was this thread asking us what each of us like or what YOU liked. LOL

Go have some bacon.

tj

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Labyrinth would be one I'd grab. It's not terribly expensive when compared to other streaked breeders and gave a good rate of streaked seedlings in each cross that it was in. Can't say how stable it is, just that it had pretty seedlings.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Linda, Misty Gold is nice. I have a number of streakers scattered about the garden but this is probably my fave. I don't breed anything (at this point), I just get them for their looks.

9 years ago

my misty gold... straight from dishon ... is about 5 feet wide ... and as sterile as barney the purple dude.. lol ... i love you.. you love me .... OMG ... i had to ban the kids from watching that show ... that and the whiny bald kid ....

junkie .... i really like that stargate ... totally agree with you ... just making an observation on how I SEE IT ... trying to teach peeps how to LOOK at things ... i would suspect it ... to go white in the center in a few years ... but i dont think i have ever seen one in person ....

the one i was blanking on.. was the classic SEA PRIZE ... see at link ...

ed elslager used it quite a bit in his 5 million registrations .... and of course.. its from mildred ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

"as sterile as barney the purple dude"

Oh my Lord, Ken, you crack me up. Thanks for the a.m. laughs. Think maybe they should scratch that "Great breeding potential" description at the Hosta Library database?

9 years ago

if barney was fertile... he would not be the only dinosaur left ...

and he sure as shootin ... wouldnt be purple... whats that all about

ken

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think Ken may be going a little stir crazy this winter...sitting around eating bacon and singing Barney songs. What else you been up to?

Sea Prize is beautiful as is Stargate and Misty Gold. All of these are new to me. Thanks for your suggestions.

Linda :)

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Bacon is streaked....

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

LOL, Hostanista. That was good.

I guess one could add Hosta 'Bacon and Eggs' to the list.

tj

9 years ago

to be clear ...

buy misty gold .... its sublime ...but it is sterile.... you did NOT miss that part, i hope ....

i have been looking for OP seeds on it.. for two decades ..... such would force me to pull the light stand out of the pole barn.. for the first time in 5 years ....

i already hit preview.. so i cant see your words.. but i thought.. the whole point was.. that you want to dabble in some seed growing next winter?????

ken

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Where can I buy bacon seeds?

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Ken, I have been paying attention and I agree Misty Gold is beautiful but I want a streaker that is fertile because I do want to try growing some seeds.

Hostanista- LOL, good one! I LOVE streaked BACON!

Linda

• esox48
    9 years ago

Sally and Bob is my favorite. It's large, thick, has some cupping and is very fertile. I got over 100 pods from this one last year. I use five colors of ties and five colors of tape to mark the crosses. That would be enough to differentiate each hosta in the Hosta Library.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Bacon seeds!

• donrawson
    9 years ago

If you're thinking about hybridizing, I wouldn't choose 'Stargate'. It's very reluctant at setting seed.
    Here's a list which may be helpful: Sterile Hostas

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Esox- Thanks for the suggestion, that one looks great to me.

Don_r- Thanks for link, I will check it out.

Linda

• User
    9 years ago

Esox, I agree with you that Sally & Bob is great. However, I refrained from saying anything because I have only 1 year experience growing it, and don't have any seeds to deal with from it. I'd expect to know how it performed before I made a recommendation. Buut I am pleased to hear that it comes with your stamp of approval on it. It sure is pretty.

And Ken, I clicked your post to CLIP, and I think you are in fine form with a frozen brain as long as the bacon holds out. We had BLT's last night, but the romaine was too limp, so I went out and picked some greens from DH's winter garden. I think what we had was BKT.....bacon kale tomato sammich.....hmmm hhmmmm good......and I tried something else that was a really curly leaf and it was like eating a latex glove....I think this remodeling business is getting to me.

• miketropic
    9 years ago

Do I get shunned since im allergic to pork?

• smorz
    9 years ago

I can't narrow it down to just one :/... It would have to be big & bluish... With heavily corrugated round leaves, like dinner plates :)

• woodnative
    9 years ago

Streakers are a lot of fun IMHO. They are interesting but do require some occasional "maintenance". You have to understand them though. A streaker by definition is not stable. Some say some types are more stable than another but it really depends more on the individual eye/plant you are looking at and how much streaking is in the leaves. the more random stripes of variegation that are in the leaves, the more likely it is to produce more similar eyes. E.g. if a leaf is all green with just a strip or two of variegation that is much less likely to produce a variegated/striped eye. You will see this even on parts of plants. If you have a streaker that is producing all green leaves on one quarter of the plant and the rest is well streaked......the streaked portion will produce mostly more streaked eyes (maybe an occasional green, or stable variegated or albino) but the eyes that grow off the green portion will be all green. The caveat on this example is that the greener portions will be stronger (more chlorophyll) so may eventually take over the whole clump if not removed. Confused?? I need some good photos. Now to your original question.....' Fascination' has been around for some time.....is a reasonably fast grower......and a classic breeder that produces viable seeds. Do you have a limited budget.......you may try to trade with other folks on this forum come the growing season. Offer Hostas or other interesting garden plants.

9 years ago

It would have to be big & bluish... With heavily corrugated round leaves, like dinner plates :)

==>>> but.. but.. but ...

the blue means sieboldiana/tokudama ... which not only meas momma will grow slow ..

but the seedlings will be just as slow.. especially the blue ones... which to be blue.. have heavily favored the s/t genes ...

i had some seeds of such.. and when fast green based seedlings were going on 8 to 10 inches tall by the end of indoor light season .. the blues were mostly still 2 or 3 inches big ...
    if you have many mommas...and have years .. go for it ...

but the premise is one momma .. to play with ... i suggest the s/t be the third or 4th streaker momma ...

ken