Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta 'Sharon Stone' $1,325!

Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 17:33

The AHS auction is over and the results have been posted. Wow! Is this the most ever paid for a hosta put on the AHS auction? Anybody know?

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS Auction Results

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta 'Sharon Stone' $1,325!

I guess I would like to know what made it so special.

o

Its a real looker! The auction has taken it down, I think. I fouind it on yahoo. Not a good photo, but you get the drift

bk

o

Nice hosta, but 'Sharon Stone'?? Ha ha ha ha ha what a name.

Don B.

o

It's a sport of Marilyn Monroe. Very unique and very new. A single eyed plant. Really for collectors only. There's no way to know if it will be a good garden plant. I did stay up to see how much it would go for. I had predicted $1300 Saturday morning and my DH predicted $550. So you see why I had to watch the end of the auction.

o

That's a lotta Guacamole!!

Don B.

o

Ken, you are correct, YOU wrote here, that those expensive plants usually die on their way home. Also deer and voles like to eat especially expensive plants. Those are over my $30 limit.

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 14:07

o

Here's hoping it goes into TC next year and is available for $30.

Steve

o

It has already been put into TC and it failed. Another reason for the high price. Jan van den Top (the originator) said it will be 4-5 years before he has any divisions to sell. You can bet they won't be cheap!

o

Is this the most ever paid for a hosta put on the AHS auction? Anybody know?

==>>> i dont know about the online auction... but back in the day.. gunther stark paid over 3000 dollars for gunthers prize ... [he got to name it]

it was auctioned by bob solberg.. at his vendors table.. at what i think was the 1998 indy convention ...

back before TC.. if you wanted a plant.. you paid for it ... period ... you never knew when the next one would come along ... if ever

ken

ps: i think i have said expensive plants commit suicide on the way home... glad to be quoted ....

o

That's two YEARS of my gardening budget. That's not just counting hostas, that's all the plants, potting soil, fertilizer & etc. I enjoyed watching the auction, though. And if it weren't for people buying the first of a spectacular hosta and propagating it, the rest of us couldn't buy one when it gets under $50.00.

o

I do know Paula Lehtola paid $3500 for Humpback Whale in 2006 at the convention auction. After five years in her garden she split it and sold the pieces for $500 each. She made her money back.

Josh, do you know if Sharon Stone will grow well enough to be divided? Some of these sports that are manufactured from the TC process end up as duds.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 12:46

o

Not sure, Steve, but I'm guessing it grows decently. Jan would not have parted with a piece, if he did not have a reliable back-up :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here