Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

We will miss Indiana Bob

donrawson
10 years ago

"Indiana Bob" passed away this morning after a battle with cancer.You can read more by going to the American Hosta Society Facebook page. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

what a great soul .....

if anyone can find a link that does not require me to sign up for facebook.. i would appreciate it ...

the old pollack.. adopted this young pollack.. way back in the day ... him and dad even hit it off at a hidden lakes meeting.. he ran all the auctions at HL ....

always a happy face.. and something nice to say ...

and he always had some of his own seedling pieces in his trunk.. and would give the the quiet PPSSST ... come here ..drug dealer sort of wink and nod.. and we would have to head over to his trunk for some hosta dope.. lol ...

never one for those small ones.. he grew anything with a parent bigger than sum and substance ...

at the 2009 Mi convention .. in my garden ..... i had labeled one of his settled streakers.. and showed it as H. 'Indiana Bob' .... i think.. offhand it was DB x nigrescens.. though i could be wrong about that ....

rest in peace old friend.. its been a long hard road .... i will miss you ...

ken

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

My sympathies to friends and family of Indiana Bob.

Don B.

P.S. Would anyone happen to have any pics of 'Yankee Blue', or any of Mr. Balitewewicz's creations? Unfortunately, the link is the best I can personally do. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: H. 'Yankee Blue' created by Indiana Bob

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 21:44

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

Lovely eulogy, Ken. He really does sound like someone many of us would have liked to know.

• donrawson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a link which may be helpful:

FOOSF page for "Indiana Bob"

• imagooch zone 6b/7a Chatham ON
    10 years ago

I had the good fortune to take in a seminar last year at Hosta College about how he copes with Bambi, Thumper and all those other critters. He had us in stitches about some of the more offbeat methods that he found successful. Such an interesting man. I am so sorry that I won't be able to take in another of his presentations, and so glad that I was able to go to one.
    Anne

• coll_123
    10 years ago

How sad- may he rest in peace.

• User
    10 years ago

Here is my little Yankee Blue last July. It was blue in May, but melted its wax by July.

My respects to Bob's family and friends for their loss. Good people are a loss for the whole family of man.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

here is the yankee blue that bob handed me in the parking lot at hidden lakes one august meeting .... on coming over one time.. he said it was the best one he ever saw ...

holds its color rather well... up here in reality... lol ...

of course.. it doesnt look like that anymore.. the sand having suckered most of the vigor out of it

if the one above had come from anywhere other than chris... i would question if its even the same plant.. though it is very young ....

ken

ps: note both pix.. same date.. boy.. camera perspective really matters ...

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company