Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lupinguy

Photo Thread Idea

lupinguy
10 years ago

Hi Everyone
I was thinking that a cool idea for a photo thread would be to have several based off plant maturity sizes instead of the usual alphabet.

If someone with more knowledge wants to start it that would be good.

Just thought it was a cool idea.

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

listen lupin ... i dont recognize the name.. so welcome..

ok.. that aside ...

start a new post .. title it according to your BRILLIANT IDEA... and post a pic..

then ask for other in the size range ...

you dont need permission... just do it.. start a new mania ...

but dont just sit there and ask someone else to do it;. crikey ....

last time i came up with a bright idea.. i got volunteered to be in charge.. ergo.. i put you in charge.. lol ...

dont forget to define your size ...

ken

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

That sounds like a great idea! My vote is for Ken to do it, lol! :-)

• lupinguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ken
    Ok I will give it a try with what I have for photos.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I don't get it. I guess I'm just...duh. Are you saying do a photo thread based on Giant, extra large, etc. hosta? Or, are you saying do a thread based on 7 year old, 10 year old hosta, 3 year old hosta, etc.

Sorry, I'm pretty dense today. (It took two tries before I recognized Ethel and Boogity).

bk

• lupinguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant based on Mini, Small, Medium, Large etc. I have started the Thread for Medium since that's all I have mature plants off. I think it would be good for comparisons and trying to find good companions of equal sizes.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Yes! I want a thread on teeny weenies such as I favor, and such as fit into my little urban garden.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

If you give it a day or two there will be a category called Minis with the alphabet. Also one call Ruffled Edges and another called Red Petioles. These were added this year after reading posts from the group last summer. Sorry you do not like the alphabet.

• User
    10 years ago

The alphabet is such a fine thing, it is now spawning its own franchise. I do not think Lupin meant to imply he did not LIKE the alphabet. I mean, who could make it until spring without the joy of browsing our MORE than 26 threads of annual ABC HOSTA? It is such a refreshing activity we all look forward to viewing. The ones who have fewer letters of the alphabet to participate might be inspired, as Lupin, to find a second way of slicing the hosta pie....thus MEDIUM is in the midrange.

When I started with hosta, I thought MED was the way to go, and thus looked for that size at maturity. So yeah, I see the value in this.

Once again, Don Rawson has a list for us to use as a guide.
    I give you the link below. In the past we did one thread of pictures for his FRAGRANT HOSTA, with great participation. It might not be your cup of tea, but by doing it I learned a lot about hosta in general.

To get the benefit of Don Rawson's efforts, go to his lists and browse around. And thanks, Don, for your efforts maintaining this resource for us. Combined with another volunteer effort, HOSTALIBRARY, we all benefit.

Look for the SMALL AND MEDIUM UPRIGHT HOSTA....hmmm, at least it is a start. However, none of my hosta are mature, and I have (over) 400.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Medium Upright Hosta

• lupinguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's definitely not a matter of me not liking the alphabet I love it's it's one of the things I love on the hosta forums however as I said it would be great to have the various sizes. It's good for trying to find good pairings. For example I have a mature Hosta Plantiginea I was to see what might go well with it. I am sure that I am not the only one who would find this beneficial. As I said I do very much enjoy the alphabet threads. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Ray