Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miketropic

what will we do when there gone?

miketropic
9 years ago

since I came to the forum and since I started to pick up more and more hostas I have learned alot from the people on here and it made me do more research into the plant. I seem to find that most of the current hybridizers and some of the best are either getting a bit older or have passed away. Im not calling anyone old by any means LOL but I am not 30 yet and it makes me wonder what will happen when the last of the great breeders is gone, who will be the "top dog" when I get to retirement age. I have not came across any names of up and comers hat I can remember but I'm sure some are out there. In reality there is plenty of time left with the current bunch but it is something I was thinking on last night..while I was suppose to be working.. Any names come to mind that are younger hybridizers?

Comments (9)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Wow! Pretty dark topic here. It's tough because most people our age don't start gardening or appreciating gardening until the retirement age. Probably why you don't hear about any great hybridizers under the age of 50. Interesting question though. I'd like to know if there is a younger generation of hybridizers as well. If not, you could be the first great one in their 30s.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Doesn't really matter...Everything's been crossed with everything, we'll have about 3 maybe 4 seasons of new registrations, then that'll be it.

Yeah, great topic, Debbie Downer! : (

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Roger Smith, Jeff Moore, Matt Sanford, Jeff White, Dan Wols, Jeroen Linneman, Bate Aukema and there are probably lots of others we don't even know of yet.

Personally, I think Jeff Moore is one of the best people working right now and we haven't even seen any of his plants on the market yet. This is one of his called Painted Desert. Not a great picture with the shadows, but it produces outstanding seedlings.

Steve

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

I'm not so sure about the 3-4 year thing. Think you might be surprised at some things that are in the works. Jeff Miller has some very neat things going on over at LOTG.

Just one genetic breakthrough opens the door for so many new crosses and potential hostas. Like that 'First Blush'. Not the most attractive hosta, but I'm sure one of the pollen artists could take the genetics and cross it to create something amazing with it.

Jeff Moore does have some amazing hostas. For those that love to look at pics here is a link to some of his photos

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeff Moores Page

This post was edited by bungalowmonkeys on Thu, Jan 15, 15 at 21:26

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by bungalowmonkeys on Thu, Jan 15, 15 at 21:22

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Just recently read about Jeroen Linneman and thought I'd include a link to his work as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeroen Linneman

• miketropic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do a little crossing with other plants than hosta but I have been thinking of starting..I have been meaning to get the hybriding manual for awhile now.. I know its a dark topic and a downer but it has crossed my mind more than once. The person I look to as a plant mentor is in his mid 30s but does not work with hosta so I am kind of on my own..just somthing to think about but didn't mean to kill the "mood" lol..spring on its way..there fixed it!

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

okay, i'm starting to thaw on streakers ⦠somewhat, maybe, kind of ⦠uh huh

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Mike, you should join a hosta society and go to their meetings. There will be younger hosta people, and you will get involved into hybridizing, which is a lot of fun, especially over winter.
    Bernd