Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Hosta doesn't bloom

bkay2000
13 years ago

I have an unknown hosta that hasn't bloomed in several years. I would like to see it bloom. It's a really full pot of hosta and is beautiful. It probably has 30 or 40 eyes. The ID is unlikely as it's one of those I've had for about 12 years and I have no idea of it's name. It may have been the one labeled as Elegans, but I'm not sure.

I usually fertilize it once in early April and once in June and that's about it. I use a 15-5-10 on it (which may be the problem). I repotted it to a larger pot 2 years ago.

Anyway, it's my favorite hosta and I'd like to see it bloom. Any ideas on what to do differently?

bkay

Unknown Blue 09

Comments (8)

• hostabevie
    13 years ago

You didn't mention what size pot you put it in...with 30-40 eyes that is a large plant and would need a very large pot...by the way your hosta look like it is 'Fortunei Hyacinthina'...do you recall if the flowers were a light lavender color? 'Fortunei Hyacinthina' is one of the oldest hostas out there...and also is one that produces more sports than than any other hosta...there are over 50 named varieties that came from 'Fortunei Hyacinthina'...as for your lack of blooms I would have to say that it could be the fertilizer you are using...here is a bit I copied from an article by Michael J. McGroarty on fertilizers for more blooms....

Fertilizing to Create more Blossoms on Your Flowers, Flowering Shrubs, and Trees
    by Michael J. McGroarty
    The secret to making your flowering trees, shrubs, annuals, and perennials bloom more is in the numbers. All fertilizers have analysis numbers on the package. These numbers represent the percentage of each chemical the product contains. For example, 12-12-12 is a typical garden garden fertilizer that would contain 12% nitrogen, 12% phosphorous, and 12% potassium.

The quick explanation is; nitrogen produces vegetative, or top growth, phosphorous produces flower buds, fruit, and root development, while potassium builds strong healthy plants.

To encourage flower bud production you can apply a fertilizer that contains a small percentage of nitrogen, a higher percentage of phosphorous, and a little potassium. I recently purchased a liquid fertilizer with an analysis of 5-30-5, ideal for flower production. Because the product is sold as a bloom producer, the manufacture also added a little chelated iron, manganese, and zinc, all good for your plants as well.

Anyways I've included the link to the article incase you'd like to read all of it...Bevie

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing to Create more Blossoms

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would guess the pot is 7 to 8 gallons.

I don't remember when it blooms or what the flower looked like. I can tell you something about the blooms of all the other hostas I have had for a while, except this one. Is it possible that it doesn't bloom?

bkay

• hostabevie
    13 years ago

7-8 gallon pot should be fine for that hosta...and no I doubt it doesn't bloom I think you just need to give it some fertilizer that encourages blooms...the stuff you've been putting on it is high in Nitrogen and & Potassium...Nitrogen will make your hosta produce lush leaves...Potassium will put the energy into the roots...you need a fertilizer with a higher phosphorous number (the middle number) we use the plane old inexpensive 12-12-12 in our garden in the spring and then the Hillbilly goes around and sprays the leaves with a fine mist of miracle grow mixture every couple weeks or so during the summer....of course any plants in direct sun get this treatment either early morning or late in the evening...or on cloudy days....Bevie

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks,

I'll do that this year.

bkay

• mike_bloomindesigns_com
    13 years ago

Potassium and a bigger pot, or division, may get it to flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomin Designs Nursery hosta basics

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Auburn, GA, huh? My brother-in-law went to school at Auburn. I love it, another southerner who does hosta. Thanks for the link. I'll read your info.

I really don't want to divide it. It's so big and so pretty. I do have a one larger pot, though. After that, I'll probably have to divide it.

Thanks again.

bkay

• garden_crazy
    13 years ago

I have hosta, Aphrodite that requires half a day of sun to bloom. -Since yours is in a pot, albeit a heavy one, perhaps try moving it to more sun?

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, we're on the 32 degree latitude (thank you Ken, I didn't know before). Even Sum and Substance burns in my yard with the sun it gets after 5:00 PM. They pretty much have to be in shade all day.

It's probably the pot and the fertilizer. I moved it up to a larger pot a couple of years ago, but it had been years since I gave it a larger pot. I have about a 20" pot I'm going to move it to before it breaks ground this spring. I've considered breaking it into sections and putting all the sections in one pot. I love the green ones. They are my favorites. Maybe also because I've had this one so long. It really looks lush and full. I would hate to cut into several and no longer have this great big plant.

I've had this one for 12 to 15 years, along with about 3 more (one I think has the hosta virus). A couple of years ago, I found the hosta forum and decided I could grow more of these lovely plants. I have some lovely newer plants, but they don't hold a candle to the lush green plant this one is.

Thanks,

bkay

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville