Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Which hosta do you have more than one of?

All the beautiful hosta in the Alphabet thread got me to thinking---what do you have more than one of? Which ones do you want to make sure you have duplicates of because you simply love it? I am not including the hosta you purchased multiples of because you wanted to make a grouping. I am not including ones that you got at a great sale. I am not including those that you divided, etc. So which ones do you have at least one more of because you can't bear the thought of having only one in case you lose it?

So for me that would be:

Earth Angel
First Frost
Goodness Gracious
Great Expectations
Guacamole
June
Paul's Glory
Touch of Class

How about you?

Comments (30)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

New acquisitions, olive them.

yes, all of them.

I always get at least two and pop them in the hole, or the pot, together. This is a recent in-the-last-couple-of-years-thing. I don't feel so bad if I have to split them for a friend then. And I get multiples faster.

BTW: Get three (3) GEs, plant them in different spots around the yard. One should make it.

Just ask Don for a Guac, he should 100 by now. Ha!

Dave

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Just cuz I love em:

3 Elegans
    2 Paul's Glory
    2 Dream Queen
    I have doubles or triples of some others but those are for grouping purposes so they aren' t allowed ð¢

Sherry

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

June x 2
    Krossa Regal x2
    Guacamole x 2
    Wide Brim x 2
    Halcyon x 2
    Francee x 2

I did have 2 S&S but one had hvx and was destroyed, also have 4 Elegans but they do not qualify for this thread as one was divided into 2 bought another and I have another that was bought thinking it was a Halcyon (was small) but now I am sure its an Elegans. I have not seen a blue hosta besides Elegans for sale in this country, Sigh.

Denis

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Two Dancing Queens which I purchased separately. They add a real pop of color in my garden, Plus I'm a sucker for ripples and piecrust edges.

DD

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Nope, Dave, I have less Guacamole now. I gave away five or six of 'em to nice neighbors, so I only have 17 now (I think).

: )
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 22:03

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Here's my list:

Liberty
    Fire and Ice
    Dancing Queen
    Autumn Frost
    First Frost
    El Nino
    Halcyon
    High Society
    Orange Marmalade
    Neptune

If I came across sizable plants of Remember Me or Lakeside Paisley Print then I'm sure that I'd succumb to another of each.

BC

• esox48
    9 years ago

I don't collect hostas. I like hostas. So I'm not looking for a hundred different hostas. I'm looking for a hundred great hostas.

So I've got lots of duplicates, many triplicates, some quadruplicates, a few quintuplets, a sextuplet or two. Not sure if I have seven of anything.

More than one? Sun Power, Paradigm, m. Aureomarginata (6), Blue Angel (4), June (4), Guacamole (4), Regal Splendor (4), Liberty (4), Sagae, Halcyon, Gold Standard (4), Olive Bailey Langdon (5), Krossa Regal, Alex Summers, Great Expectations (3), Blue Mammoth, Gold Regal, Aspen Gold. Maybe others I can't think of right now.

• esox48
    9 years ago

And Orange Marmalade.

This post was edited by esox48 on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 23:00

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, I'm glad that you repeated the fact that you get duplicates of ALL of your new acquisitions. Otherwise, I may not have believed you! LOL Sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, for me, I don't have the room to do that. I'm envious of you!

I am aware that GE can be difficult. I have been successful with one (knock on wood!), but I am trying to get a couple others growing too.

If Don had 100 Guacamoles, I am sure he would be loving each and every one of them!

Hi Sherry. I have a NOID that I think is Elegans. Hopefully that will be the case. I love Paul's Glory too. I now have three of them. Initially I had put Dream Queen on my list because I have two. I ended up removing them because I actually bought both of them at the same time having had no experience with them. So they didn't count, even though I think I am going to love them too.

Denis, looks like you have chosen a bunch of nice hostas. I have a Wide Brim, but I unfortunately allowed it to reduce in size as it was being overtaken by a shrub. I have finally relocated it, and look forward to seeing it back to its mature size soon.

I have heard good things about Krossa Regal. I think it's time for me to get one!

You say you have only seen one blue hosta (Elegans) for sale in Ireland? That's so sad! I gather you purchased your other blues elsewhere. I do hope that in the years ahead you will be seeing some blues entering the country.

DD, I can understand that you are loving Dancing Queen. I was so close to purchasing one last year. Big mistake on my part to have decided against it!

BC, nice list of duplicates. I have three on your list which are still young plants (El Nino, High Society and Neptune). I, too, may be getting duplicates of them in the future.

Esox48, I agree with you! I am looking for hostas that I love and bring me joy. If I love a certain hosta, I get a lot of pleasure in having more than one.

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

This list should look familiar....

Earth Angel (3)
    First Frost
    Goodness Gracious
    Great Expectations
    Guacamole
    June (4)
    Paul's Glory
    Touch of Class (3)

Plus
    Stained Glass
    Orange Marmalade
    Halcyon
    Liberty

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I have 2 June (my own and one gifted to me) - I'm not counting the others that I've split, lol
    I also have 3 GE...because one just won't do!
    I replaced my lost Dream Queen with three last year. Don't ever want to lose another one.

What I do want to double up on simply because I love it is English Sunrise and Lakeside Shore Master...I really have no room for more as it is.

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

Mine is a longer list than I would have thought. If I really like something, I plant it two or three times, depending upon its availability.
    Abiqua Drinking Gourd 2
    Aristocrat 3
    August Moon 2
    Blue Angel 3
    Blue Mouse Ears 2
    Captain Kirk 2
    Cathedral Windows 2
    Celestial 2
    Climax 2
    Designer Genes 2
    Dancing Queen 3
    Dick Ward 2
    El Capitan 2
    First Frost 3
    Golden Meadows 2
    Harriette Ward 2
    Krossa Regale 3
    June 3
    Hollywood Lights 2
    Hudson Bay 2
    Komodo Dragon' 2
    Lakeside Shoremaster 3
    Liberty 2
    Maui Buttercups 2
    Old Glory 2
    Princess Anastasia 2
    Paul's Glory 2
    Regal Splendour 2
    Ripple Effect 2
    Rosedale Golden Goose2
    Salute 2
    Sharp Dressed Man 2
    Sparkler 2
    Squash Casserole' 2
    Summer Breeze 2
    The Razor's Edge' 2
    Thunderbolt 2
    Twilight Time 3
    Wylde Green Cream 2

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

The duplicates that I have purchased because I just couldn't stop myself are:

Popcorn (slow grower, so cute & looks great at the front of the bed)

London Fog (not sure if this counts -> only 1 is actually LF & the other 2 are 2 different sports)

GE (no willpower - love it)

June (thought I would give the 2nd away but couldn't decide which one I liked better...plus one is in shade and the other in part sun so they look like completely different plants)

Earth Angel (like June, I thought I'd give one away and even came close when trying to manage my limited space last fall...just couldn't do it)

Pizzazz (a definite favourite of mine - but the 2nd one is a bit of an experiment because it has completely different growing conditions)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mbug---oh my gosh---we have the same taste in hosta! What a surprise! I looked at your list wondering if in fact it was my list---and it kind of was! LOL

Of your other four that I did not list: Stained Glass (I had it in a pot but someone stole it. I am looking to replace it.) I do have Liberty, but at present it doesn't wow me. I will give it another year or two. I'll have to have another look at Orange Marmalade and Halcyon.

Ninamarie, what an impressive list of duplicates! One on your list I particularly noticed is Old Glory. I really like that hosta but don't hear much about it on the forum. It's on my want list!

Jo, I also have two Dream Queens simply because of pictures shown in the forum. I didn't put it on my list because they are both new for me. I noticed your English Sunrise photos and how pretty that hosta is. I also remember a lot of good comments on Lakeside Shore Master so it is on the list!

ConnieMay, I don't blame you for not being able to stop yourself from purchasing those beauties. GE is my ultimate favorite!

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

newhostalady, old glory is a pretty one and very vigorous. The good thing about duplicates is when you are looking for a place to put a new hosta, it's easy to dig out a duplicate.

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

Space in my yard is always at a premium, so my duplicates aren't exactly intentional. I'm weak, and when I see a really great specimen for sale I have trouble resisting. My second Great Expectations was a wonderful big healthy plant at a reasonable price! Likewise my second Guacamole! And my second Liberty (well, who wouldn't want more than one Liberty?) and my second Praying Hands, and my second June, and my third June!! And I would find it very difficult to dig one out to make way for something new. Sacrifice grass, day lilies, whatever.
    Jan

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ninamarie, I am happy to hear that Old Glory is vigorous and that you agree that it is a pretty hosta. I'm hoping someone will post a picture in the Alphabet when we hit the "O's." But I'm more like Jan---I would find it very difficult to dig out a duplicate for a new hosta. My duplicates are generally younger than my original hosta, and I have high hopes that one year they will transform into beauties. I consider my duplicates like "insurance" in case my original one declines for some reason.

Jan, I can understand why you would purchase a second GE, June, Liberty, Guacamole and Praying Hands. Sounds like you found a great deal when you purchased GE and Guacamole.

• jan_on zone 5b
    9 years ago

Newhostalady........my duplicate Great Expectations came from.......wait for it.....Home Depot. I know, I know, Big Box, BAD. But it was HUGE and GORGEOUS, and I just couldn't resist. So far it is thriving. I should never put that in print should I? Jinx!
    Jan

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    9 years ago

I have quite a few duplicates. Listed below are ones that immediately come to mind that were bought at different times:
    Sagae
    Liberty
    Lakeside Shoremaster
    Rhino Hide
    August Moon
    Gold Standard
    Goodness Gracious
    Earth Angel
    Guardian Angel
    Beckoning
    Hole Mole - and more ordered
    Blue Angel
    Capt. Kirk
    Whirlwind
    Great Expectations - all destined for the compost pile
    Golden Scepter
    June
    Guacomole
    Hadspen Blue
    Paradigm
    Rainforest Sunrise
    Yellow River
    Queen of the Seas

I don't anticipate buying any new varieties but will get some more dupllcates, such as Holy mole, Sagae and maybe Journey's End and Hoosier Dome.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Jan, regardless where anyone acquires a GE....it is always a GREAT move, LOL!

There are some that would NEVER admit that. On the other hand, I have absolutely no qualms about admitting, at any time, that not all my hosta are purchased at nurseries! I'll take them wherever I can find them but after some scrutiny. I pick up the most amazing hosta at my local Zehr's at the most amazing prices...and have yet to encounter any virus. Why pay $20-25 when you can get same for $7???? Simply to say that the $25 hosta is guaranteed HVX free? It may be HVX free, but could it have nematodes that don't show up till August??? I'd rather lose $7 than $25 any day if I have to...and I haven't had to, yet. ðÂÂÂ

Here's to great buys!!! It's so exciting to know you can get about three hosta for the price of one! And here's to duplicates of our faves! I'll drink to that too!!

Jo

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

I have many duplicates but only because I divide quite often.

I did purchase a second sagae because the first one failed to grow to my expectations. Now neither one is doing very good, don't think I'll buy a third

I bought duplicates of Summer Breeze, Brass Ring, Wolverine and Old Glory in 2012 from a charity sale for $1.00 each.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Apart from all the Guacamoles I have scattered around the place, I have a few duplicates of others...

June...2
    Great Arrival...2
    Luna Moth...2
    Royal Standard...2
    Radiant Edger...3
    Paul's Glory...2
    Elegans...2
    and Holy Mole...2

Don B.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jan, sounds like you got a great deal at Home Depot (in regards to your purchase of GE). If I saw a decent sized GE for a reasonable price, I would probably end of purchasing all of them! Did you "knock on wood" when you said " So far it is thriving. I should never put that in print should I?"

Squirejohn, that's a great list of duplicates! You say that you don't think you will acquire any new varieties . . . but you know, now that you have said that, something is bound to come along and be irresistible!

I agree with you Jo, that there are good hostas at your local Zehrs, Loblaws etc., and I too purchase at these locations. I feel a bit more comfortable in that I generally grow in pots. This gives me time to observe for virus and nematodes before planting into my garden.

Olddirt, $1.00 for Summer Breeze, Brass Ring, Wolverine and Old Glory! Wow. What a fantastic deal!!!!!

Don, of your list, I only have three of your eight hostas. Looks like I've got to get me some more! Thanks for sharing!

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Only two of my duplicates were bought on purpose.

2 Silver Bays because as a youngster it had such pretty heart-shaped leaves. But both changed as they got bigger. They're still nice but not as "cute."

2 Regal Splendors because I still had a lot of room to fill and love the vase shape.

2 Royal Standards because I convinced myself the first one was an imposter so I got another one. That was early in my collecting, and now I see the one I called fake RS is a real one, after all.

2 Summer Breeze because I was in a hosta buying frenzy for a couple of years and forgot I already ordered one and ordered a second since they do look so pretty.

2 Satisfactions because the second one was placed in front of the wrong sign at the nursery. I found the tag down inside when I got home, but my first was so nice that I kept the second and don't regret it at all.

It takes so long for most of my hostas to get large that I've never divided any of mine.

• User
    9 years ago

Plantaginea...8 which includes Mama
    Royal Standard 4 plus many sports
    Aphrodite ...4? ...My computer is down...guessing
    Fujibotan 2
    Guacamole 3
    Mariachi 2
    Fried Bananas, FGT, Doubled Up etc 2
    Squash Casserole 2
    Verna Jean 4
    Princess Anastasia 3
    Dick Ward 2
    Purple Lady Fingers 2
    etc

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, NHL, you SHOULD get some more : )

Don B.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sandyslopes---your answers made me think that I should start a new thread---that would be to ask for all the different reasons each member had for ending up with duplicates! My property is on the small size (but that is not going to stop me from purchasing more hostas! LOL) so I try to keep on top of what it is I have to have. But I can't be strong all the time! You definitely had good reasons to end of with the duplicates that you purchased.

Hi Moc. Hope the ones you have 4 of, or 8 of, are ones you just love, love, love. I like the "etc" at the end of your list. I know what that means! LOL

Thanks Don. You're a big help! LOL!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

The only hosta I intentionally have more than one of is So Sweet.

Others I have duplicates of:
    Irish Luck, because I thought the other one was dead
    Bridegroom, same reason.
    Dancing Queen, same reason.
    "Big Blue" because I divided it.
    Blue Mouse Ears because Cleo (my dog) mauled it and Blue Cadet and I couldn't determine which pieces where which hosta when I repotted them.

All of the above will go in one pot when I repot this spring.

Night before Christmas because my neighbor gave me hers when she moved to assisted living. I'll keep both.

I'm thinking of splitting my oldest So Sweet and will keep all three. It's in about the biggest pot I can handle and it aesthetically looks like it's too big for the pot. It does not have that nice round shape anymore. It did well, though.

I bought another Minuteman because it was so gorgeous I couldn't resist. I had a smaller one and a Patriot. Not sure whether I will keep all three or not. I'll wait and see how they do.

I still have two Frances Williams I intended to re-home. I think I will try them one more season and see if an acidic fertilizer will help their looks.

bk

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Lets see......

5 Patriot
    12 Minutemen
    2 Great Expectations
    4 Sieboldiana Elegans
    3 Dream Queens
    4 June
    2 Orange Marmalade
    3 Francee
    3 Wide Brim
    5 Fragrant Bouquet
    3 Guacamole
    12 Earth Angel
    3 Liberty
    2 Twilight
    2 Brim Cup
    2 Empress Wu
    3 First Frost
    4 Inspire Greatness
    9 Francis Williams
    3 Sum and Substance
    3 Temptation
    7 Whirlwind
    3 Blue Hawaii
    ......and 3 noids each in 4 separate pods (a pod is a group of hosta; I just made it up).

and 19 Sagae.......or maybe 20? Everybody should have a few anyway.

I didn't realize I had so many duplicates until I checked my list. I've heard that repetition is one of the basic rules of good garden design, or so they say. We'll see.

Jon

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

3 Fire and Ice
    2 St. Elmo's Fire
    2 Sagae
    2 Earth Angel but I'm gifting one of them this year (maybe).
    Kathy

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations