Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Hosta Family Trees

thisismelissa
13 years ago

Last year, I took my Halcyon sports and put them all together. I LOVE the look ... the colors all work perfectly together.

Since my hubby has been researching his family tree, I thought hmmmmm....What if I did the same with my hostas? Then, in the spring as I move the hostas around and plant new ones, I can create family groupings.

Does anyone else consciously choose to put hostas near their relatives? Got any pics?

Comments (2)

• mctavish6
    13 years ago

I like doing this too Melissa. Some of mine are pairs rather than groups but it's the same idea. I like to see the opposite varigation on the otherwise same plants. Below are some pictures. Where is a picture of your Halcyon group?

This year I'll be moving Choo Choo Train along with American Icon and Journeys End into a new spot in the woods (once I get it prepared).

The last combo below was done this last summer with Paul's Glory and Wheaton Blue moved as mature plants. Peter Ruh is a couple years old and Chesterland Gold (which can't be seen, was new)

It's the same Satisfaction below. These were three plants in a row.

New addition to this combo was Academy Blushing Recluse to the upper right. It seemed to burn so may not stay here next year.

Hoosier Homecoming added in 2009 and On the edge in 2010. It should be good when they get the size of Aspen Gold which is slow but I love it.

• hostahillbilly
    13 years ago

Say, aren't you worried about in-breeding with all that family planted adjacent???

Just funnin', teehee! It sounds an interesting idea, if the asthetics work as well.

McT, I especially liked the TOC/Marilyn/KatieQ set!

hh