Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smorz

ID please

smorz
9 years ago

Came from her grandmothers garden... Her grandma had a tag by it that said Volleyball. That's all she knows... And I couldn't find any other info. Thanks :)

Comments (14)

• smorz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh... Medium size and sets seed well

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Never seen it before, but it's a great-looking streaker, that's for sure.

Very nice one!

Don B.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I think it's name is Volleyball Fame. It's registered. No HL photo, though. Rod Kuenster registered it in 2009. It has 11 to 13 pairs of veins, medium green, streaked green and white (petioles also), rippled, twisted, sets seed and very fertile. It's the only hosta registered with Volleyball in it's name.

The only hitch is that I found another photo of Volleyball Fame on the hostaseedgrowers site and the photos don't match. It is similar to other Rod Kuenster hosta. I might keep poking around until you find Rod's email address. Then send the photo and ask him if it is Volleyball fame.

It looks a lot like Kuenster's Fudge Ripple.

bk

• smorz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will have some seed soon... Although its not anything like what I am shooting for, I am hoping it will throw some nice additions. It just calls to me, Lolz ;). I may be able to get a division of this come spring.. That has me pretty excited!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Came from her grandmothers garden... Her grandma

==>>> her who???

is she willing to adopt me????

it will probably settle toward a white center.. with that sublime wavy edge ...

adding a blue gene to it.. might be fun ...

adoption info on request ... lol ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Smorz, you do not have email enabled on your gardenweb page. I have Rod's email address and will send it if you provide your email address.

bk

• smorz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I enabled my email bk.. Thank you

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

That's GORGEOUS, smorz! Love the beautifully rippled edge, the color, the veins. A real crowd-pleaser.

Ken, maybe Grandma doesn't like bacon. This is an important issue that needs to be examined before drawing up adoption papers.

• smorz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken-
    "She" is the gal I get heirloom seed and assorted other goodies from.
    I see blues in it progency already :). I'd like to encourage her to register it, and any settled form of it... Provided I don't find it is a named hosta. I don't have the trained eye but it seems unique to me. And stunning to say the least.
    I will see how the seed does. it will be a late start, I may save half of it for next year, I dunno yet. I have some gifts that Jeff Miller so kindly guided me in what Im 'working" towards, that have me pretty excited to see what they produce.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Is is Volleyball Fame?

bk

• smorz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's been sorted out... (sorta) it is Fudge Ripple in the photo and the photo is Rods. And is not the actual hosta the seed came from as adverstised. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction BK. I will pass along some good wise words "buyer beware". Even when dealing with people you have dealt with before, I guess :/

• smorz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But on a lighter note... do I not have great taste in hosta, if I may say so myself? Lol :) she sure is a beauty and a great breeder!

• mrhosta
    9 years ago

Rod Kuenster is a good friend of mine that grows seedlings. He had a daughter very involved with Volleyball. Maybe he gave it to your grandmother as a present. Then she put volleyball on a tag as thats how they met each otherJust thinking it is one of his seedling. A nice one Indeed.

• smorz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish that were the case... Rod IDed it as a picture taken in his own gardens. So with that info, the gal admitted she took the photo from the internet. He seemed to take it all in stride, as i was trying to figure it out.
    I have bought seed from her for years.. Just a different kind. I happen to see her listing for this and here we are ;). It was resolved on our end...