Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Size Medium

Posted by lupinguy s ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 20:31

Hello Everyone
I had an idea to have photo threads based off the sizes of Hosta rather then letter of the alphabet and was told I had to start it so here is goes with the limited photos I have.

Mediums

Undulata 4 year
Hosta

Halcyon 5 year
Halcyon

First Frost year 2 in my Garden
Hosta First Frost

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Size Medium

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 1:55

These "mediums" will grow in diameter over the years. I think that is why hostas are classified by the mature size of their leaves. My Blue Mouse Ears got well over 2' wide before I divided it. So much for minis.

-Babka

o

Are the about the plants not in the medium category?

o

Those plants are generally considered Medium. Although I have seen plants of First Frost that are more Medium/Large. Generally speaking we're talking about plants that are 20" tall and 40" wide, but the width may vary. Why don't we use the new standards set by the AHGA. Let's see if it will paste here.

"This standard addresses “head on” the simple fact that hostas do indeed grow larger in the North than in the South. As growers, most of us market to customers in both the North and the South. A size standard that addresses these regional differences is helpful in educating and managing our customers’ expectations. "

AHGA HOSTA CLUMP SIZE STANDARD Hosta Clump Height
Size North South
Mini up to 8" up to 7"
Small 9-14" 8-11"
Medium 15-22" 12-18"
Large 23-29" 19-24"
Giant 30" and above 25" and above

"Notes:
The above size ranges reflect the fact that any specific hosta cultivar will generally grow a few inches taller in Northern climates as compared to Southern climates. The larger the hosta, the greater the spread between heights in the North and South.
Sizes are based on average mature clump heights (generally 5+ years).
Mature hosta width is generally about 2 to 2.5 times the mature height.
Width-to-height ratios can vary significantly with upright hostas and with rhizomatous hostas.
Above I-80 is the "North" - the best hosta growing area in North America. Below I-40 is the "South." Along I-70 is the Middle Zone."

And for Don, here's Guacamole, generally listed as 22 x 48, on the larger end of the medium scale.
Guacamole yr 2 photo Guacamole120613_zpsaa8278be.jpg

Steve

o

Francee. (Found a medium that is mature. Would you believe So Sweet is a small? I would never have guessed.)

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 19:30

o

This is very interesting and variable I would say. The Guacamole is a perfect example. I would call mine a large. In my sisters Pacific NW garden it's larger than a large. It's in a barrel and completely filling it and falling out the sides.

I've added plants in different color sub-categories. These seem like mediums in my garden. I chose Fire Island for the yellow. Sunny Delight and Glory are both considered medium but I would put them in a medium/large category.

DEVON Green

Emily Dickinson 7-8-13 (107)

Summer Music 8-3-13 (39)

Fire Island 6-3-13 (193)

Patriot pool 6-7-13 b (7)

Theos Blue 6-8-13 (166)

o

Thanks for the 'Guacamole' fix, Steve. : )

BKay, looks like that little 'Stained Glass' is doing pretty well in Texas, that's nice to see.

Don B.

o

Two in the medium range which are growing nicely for me are Paradise Island and Volcano Island, which is its sport.

Paradise Island in May 2013
DSCN7785

PI in July 2013
DSCN9343

and in Oct 2013
DSCN9776

While not of heavy substance, it seems that it has no troubles with slugs....

....and then my Volcano Island which says "Large" on my tag, it is a tetraploid, and the dark green margins look hand painted, early in the season
DSCN7759

and later with the midleaf darkening
DSCN9365

in the last picture, note that Teatime is a really sweet medium that never seems to have a problem either.

I'll work on uploading more Mediums.

o

'Fragrant Blue'

Don B.

o

I have some mediums you might consider:

This post was edited by newhostalady on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 22:53

o

and the other:

o

This picture was taken in August.

o

I'm liking that Dark Star. Here's one in its 2nd year in a small corner bed near a garden shed.

o

Great posts everyone

o

Love that bright, bright 'Cerveza'.

Don B.

o

moccasin can you link me to where you got those plant tags in your above pic? they look good quality and I am starting to get to many hosta to remember them all correctly.

o

I like this one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here