Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

noid i.d.?

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Sorry, obviously there is nothing in the pic to show scale/dimensions. I'm stumped; Anyone have a guess?

Thanks,
Don B.

P.S. My neighbor said he thinks it's a 'Wide Brim', but I can't see it. Then again, I have NO guess for it, so...

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 21:03

Comments (21)

• JANE100
    10 years ago

Hey Don, I have a couple of Wide Brim's in pots in my garage and a couple planted at the SPCA garden. But I'll have to wait till spring till they sprout and I can take some pics.. I got it at Lowe's in Sept, Had 4 eyes and I split them into 4 plants. Got good buys of Patriot for $1 there too.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

I have several Wide Brim plants. I think that your guess is a strong possibility.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Looks like Christmas Tree.

Steve

• Lee
    10 years ago

Could be a young Sagae?

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Look at the Hosta Library. I have several 'Wide Brims' and they have wider and flared borders, their leaves are also pointed. I do not know what this is, but it is a keeper. Wait until it is a few more years old, then the border probably will get wider, will have sturdy round blue green leaves. Bernd

• dg
    10 years ago

Wild guess here: Earth Angel?

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

It doesn't look like Wide Brim to me. I've killed several of them over the last five years and it's usually yellow edged when it first comes up, then turns to white/cream. My experience is that it is green, not blue. I've found that it has a very different appearance depending on it's maturity.

bk

This is one I bought last summer.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

This is one that I killed a couple of years ago. Looks like a different variety.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

looks like anything in the FW/samuri/mayan moon/etc family ...

the blue green sieboldiana/tokudama with yellow edge.. and extremely immature .... group ...

again ... like last week.. its the wrong color green .... and yours is heavily glaucous.. and WB as pictured above.. is not ... besides.. yours is tending toward round ... and WB is highly pointed ....

the base green... can not change with age ... it either is the green.. or it isnt ....

shape.. wax wearing... form ..... height.. all else can vary over the 7 to 10 years to maturity ... but not the base green color ...

ken

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I agree, Bernd. It should be fun to see what it matures into. I'll dig this thread back up in spring, and post a pic of it when it leafs out this season. Maybe it'll show us something then. Certainly grows like a Tokudama...Slllooooowwwwllly.

Regards,
    Don B.

EDIT: To add pic.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 1:37

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I actually think Melati got it. I'd forgotten what a young Sagae looks like. It's the bluish color in the centers that gives it away. How long has your neighbor had this plant?

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's actually mine, Steve. I bought it from a local big box in 2012. Had no I.D. tag. My neighbor made the 'Wide Brim' guess when he saw it last summer. Hasn't done much in the growth department yet. 'Sagae' would certainly be just fine with me. : )

Don B.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

It's not Sagae. A young one would have thinner, pointy leaves. They widen as they get older, not starting out fat and round like this plant.

The color actually reminds me very much of Earth Angel in the spring, but I don't think that's it either. Maybe Frances Williams is correct? Mine are all old with lots of corrugation, so it's hard for me to compare. But the color is a good match for spring.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

You may have nailed it, Eleven. Here's a young Frances Williams at my house. That's a common Big Box store hosta. Be aware that blue is never very blue at my house.

bk

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Another shot of a young FW.

bk

• hostas_for_barb
    8 years ago

Don, did you ever decide what this NOID was? A new pic this year?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It got an ID last season, Barb, but at this moment, I can't remember what it was lol...Got a little smacked around by hail this season.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It may be H. 'Snow Cap' .

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago

Was it Carnival, maybe?

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Chris Wilson said it reminded him of Snow Cap. Thanks Jo, you just jogged my memory. He said it's a variety that goes downhill as it gets older. I remember now.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths