Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irawon

These display gardens left me breathless

irawon
11 years ago

I came across Cady's Falls Nursery in Vermont while googling H. 'Golden Oreole'. Their display gardens include lovely conifers, hostas, woodland garden plants and many unusual plants I'd never seen before.

http://www.cadysfallsnursery.com

Comments (21)

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

My favorite nursery - I visit them often.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Public service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cady's Falls

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

These photos are exquisite. The gardens look magical. I feel a road trip coming on. Thanks for sharing this.
    Jan

• irawon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Johnny, thanks for the direct link. I don't know how to do that. I feel lessons coming on at the Apple store.

@ squirejohn. I'm planning several visits but via the web. You're lucky to be close and able to see their gardens in person.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Ira, it is very simple. Copy the link you posted into the box Labeled "Optional Link URL:" underneath the message section. Then you can put anything you want for a title into the "Name of the Link" box directly under the "Optional Link URL:" box

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

what jon tried to say.. in plain english.. lol

paste it in the box under where you type.. and in the second box below put LINK ... or any other words..

on preview.. you will see it as a link ...

try it now!!! .. just COPY the link in your first note ... and PASTE it below ...

i just did it below

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: anything you type in the second box will come out right here .. lol

• irawon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys, I think I've got it. So now I don't have to pay for lessons and can spend more on some new hostas this coming spring.

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Now this thread has me wondering, yet again, how to become listed in publications, such as the AHS Journal, as 'Display Gardens'?

We have, for over a decade, enjoyed giving free tours of this here hillbilly ridge collection of over 800 varieties of Hostas, and would like to know how to let more folk find us.

g'nite,

hh

• User
    11 years ago

HH, sure hope you can find a way to become AHS listed.

I never toured a display garden, unless you count the one in Carlisle MA kept by Robert Seawright as part of his hosta and daylily nursery. He no longer sells via mail order or online.

But his mature hosta beneath those live oaks were amazing. I was there the week he closed down for the winter...er, fall, to be specific, so the hosta were not in prime condition. It did not matter to me, I'd never seen anything like it. Bug eyed by the Sum And Substance and some other huge hosta I never saw before. I thought to avoid the really big guys, but now I cannot resist, and somehow they are gravitating to my space.

BKay commented on how will I manage as they mature, have not a clue, but I'll have fun with the full garden I'm sure. It makes me feel better that McTavish is into the full look too, and her garden is always a show place.

When my hosta grow up, they want to look like McTavish plants..... :)

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

hh,

The existing display gardens are all arboretums, universities or similar locations. I think it might be hard to get a commercial property accepted by AHS, no matter how deserving it might be.

Jon

• irawon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Using my new-found knowledge to link to the display gardens listed at the American Hosta Society's website. I haven't visited their sites yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Display Garden List

• irawon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I only visited a few of the display garden sites listed at the AHS because the ones I did visit didn't have many pictures of hostas. My observation is that these gardens have to be visited in person.

hh, in my humble opinion, if it's exposure that you are looking for, you would probably get it if you constructed a website with lots of pictures (if you haven't already done that) and provided a link in the GardenWeb hosta forum.
    I'm amazed at how often GardenWeb comes up when I google a particular hosta.

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Well, hh, I'll have to drive north to visit you this summer. You can't be that far north of us.

Cady's Falls is about an hour north of where my son and daughter-in-law live. Looks like I'll be able to visit them this summer!

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

When you go to the Members section, after you insert the password, there is a list by state of members touring gardens. And, if you wish, an application to add your garden to those okay for touring.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

This might be a good place to remind folks that the 2014 and 2015 AHS conventions have been selected. 2014 will be hosted by the Harshbarger Hosta Society in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. That deep Iowa topsoil allows these peeps to grow em as big as Volkswagens.

And it has just been announced that 2015 will be in North Carolina and hosted by Bob and Nancy Solberg. If you have never been to a convention, you might want to try these out. The private gardens on display are the heart and soul of the convention and these gardens will knock your socks off. Then you can post all your pictures here!

Here's an example from 2011.

Steve

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Cedar Rapids? I've never been to a convention, and CR is just a short drive from my hometown (free lodging!). I feel a road trip coming on.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on the tour in 2015,Steve! That should be a must for me,being as I am in the same state! I have never been to their nursery yet,either. I have a display garden,but nobody ever comes to see it. Lol! Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Phil, I almost posted while ago about going to the NC convention. And I was giving you a headsup about getting your garden ready for tours.

Because, if I come that far and am so close to your place, it would be a shame not to visit. I'd really love to see your Sagae and the famous green ginger jar in person.

One of my favorite sayings is, "Be sure you want what you wish for.....you might get it."

You may have more people underfoot than you expect. :)

• plantbug
    10 years ago

WOW!! Having the convention in NC!!!! Sounds like fun. Keep the info coming, please! WOW.

plantbug

This post was edited by plantbug on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 11:00

• User
    10 years ago

Ah yes, the green ginger jar!
    If I'm not mistaken, Phil's lovely Niagara Falls (that inspired me to purchase a NF) is planted near it as well.

Deb

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, those are some of the best 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa' I've seen.

Don B.