Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm a bit of a hosta freak. No, you're not.

Posted by Hostanista 5B (Ont) (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 21:54

I had a friend visiting for a couple of days this week and she admitted for the first time in her life she's a bit of a hosta freak these days. WHAT? I said. No you're not. YES YES I AM a hosta freak. I asked her what makes her say that. Well, she explained, she already had 5 hostas and her neighbor dug up a few more and gave them to her for free, even helped her plant them around the base of a tree. They're the dark green kind, not the white and green and she already had.

My eyes are still rolling and I'M STILL LAUGHING. Yeah, she's a freak alright.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm a bit of a ho Thatsta freak. No, you're not.

That is priceless! You should send her a copy of the seven levels of hosta gardeners, so she can find herself on the list. She won't even have to read far at all. :-)

o
RE: I'm a bit of a hosta freak. No, you're not.

And that is how it all starts...just one, then three, then five...

tj

o

...then ten, then twenty...

Don B.

o

oh my ... time for a spring visit ... time for an enabling .. lol ...

take her to a hosta seller ... is margot and udo's old place still in biz???

you got a live one on the hook.. dont let go ... lol

ken

EDIT: let me guess.. its a maple ... and only the green undulata will grow under it ... maybe a norway .. darn Canadians.. and their maple leafs ... lol

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 7:28

o

Buying hostas is an easy danger!
The real danger is when you grow hostas from seeds. Because all those seedlings look so good, and some people can not throw 90% of them into the trash. They then suddenly have 100 or 1,000, some 10,000 or more to plant outside, that is when they have the space or make the space. Some of those you have to observe for several years to see how they develop into maturity. That means you will have those 100 to 10,000 added every year to observe.....
Now, I have 100 so far down in the basement, with more seeds in the mail, but I am a voracious culler, really.
Bernd

o

Wait just a minute!! I'm the hosta freak around here,and don't you forget it! Lol!! Phil

o

It's the beginning. Her eye is just beginning to learn to distinguish the difference. And she likes them, so she's probably on her way.
Before I began growing hosta, I thought they all looked the same too. And I thought they were fussy, silly plants for the pretentious.
Now of course I realize that there are pretentious hosta growers and collectors, just as there are pretentious scrabble players. No reason to let a few idiots ruin my enjoyment of the genre.

o

Don't worry Phil, you'll always be our little freak.

o

"No reason to let a few idiots ruin my enjoyment of the genre."

Very well put, and can be applied to many things in life. : )

Don B.

o

Hostanista, your story is hilarious! I enjoyed reading it and the thought rolled around in my mind....she too will wake up one summer day in the not too distant future, look around at ALL of the hosta around her (double or triple digits) and ask with a dazed and glassy look in her eyes...." What the...?" The transition period is very short, wouldn't you say? Lol.

She must just love your hosta - all your pictures show beautifully grown hosta. Your friend has a great hosta lover and enabler, and mentor, in you as you lead her down the hosta path. :-)

There once was a commercial jingle ..."and another one, and another one, another one bites the dust"...

Jo

o

freddy mercury and Queen might be offended that you called one of their anthems.. a commercial jingle..

of course.. he's dead.. so who cares ...

is it still called hosta choice???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: ah yes.. it still is ... any canadian.. in Ontario.. who hasnt gone.. can not call themselves a collector

o

Yes, it's still called Hosta Choice Gardens and is owned by Glenn and Yvon.

Vanessa

o

LOL Ken! That's who sang it......thanks, eh? Great memory there, Ken! :-)

It soon will be time for a few road trips this coming season...last one was in 2011 ... on the agenda are:
1. Made in the shade Gardens in Aylmer
2. Hosta Choice Gardens in Appin
3. booked a date at Vanessa's nursery/gardens :-)

Who knows how many new hosta will come home with THIS freak???

o

josephines 67 you may want to try riverbend gardens just out side of Listowel - always leave there with a few hosta's and a smile. But back on topic - Im only a level two or three hosta freak but, looking back it started with a couple of green and whites, then a green then another white and green and the rest as they say is history.

o

Thank you, Frogged! :-). Always happy to check out new nurseries. The one you mentioned must be somewhere in Vanessa's area. Will check.
Much appreciated, Jo.

o

Josephine
Did you mean SHADES OF GREEN in Aylmer at 48855 John Wise Line? Where's Made in the Shade?

o

Riverbend Gardens is on the other side of you Josephine... near Walkerton. I would also recommend them....great variety.

I'd like to bring you to Giboshihill Hostas near Cobourg, Ontario and Crooked Creek Garden Centre near Newtonville, Ontario to see some great hostas and meet great people.

Vanessa

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 1:51

Phil is the only "hostafreak" here". He has some green ones AND some green & white ones...in the most beautiful setting.

-Babka

o

...from what I saw on your hosta cottage online, we might not make it to the other nurseries! You have a stunning property with equally stunning hosta and other perennials. Very much looking forward to our visit in June when I bring Cabbage Patch.

Jo

o

Thanks Hostanista, that's the one. I got ahead of myself. Made in the Shade is in Gananoque...around Kingston. (Not the one in Kansas.)
Driving long distances is something I enjoy doing in the quest for hosta, especially to be able to see mature specimens grown there. Have you been to any of these, by any chance?

Double good whammy - find nice hosta, and enjoy driving around our beautiful country. :-)

o

Yes Jo I've been to Shades of Green a few times and like their over 600 varieties! Lots to choose from. Too much to choose from! Worth the trip for sure.

o

You gotta watch those green and white ones...they are a dangerous gateway hosta.

Waiting for the big snow we are supposed to get this morning and afternoon---exactly during an outdoor birding workshop I am to attend in lieu of having to go into school. Been looking forward to this workshop so much, and now it's gonna be heavy snow downpour. Aaaaaaaargh!

o

I looked at their PDF Stock Reduction sale list. They list the # of each hosta, and one which struck me and made my trigger finger itch, ESSENCE OF SUMMER....a really nice fragrant, and they have 24 of them reduced to $7 ea. Nice plant, nice price. There are 2 of the impressive DOUBLED UP....which is worth growing, believe me. HUGE blossoms, and great substance.
Also note FRAGRANT KING for $9. Really large and tough.
Machete is $11, down from $22, fragrant.

Warwick Essence, another fragrant half price, is just $6....a big greenie that I like.

I guess these are quoted in Canadian $$? Have fun, folks. :) You definitely have some good options there.

o

Aw Esther, I feel for you! :-(. ....er....would a snowball frolic relieve some disappointment? lol

Mocc...you sure make hosta life easier, for me at least...in such a short time you've managed to elevate yourself to the status of being my selector! not to mention reading my mind! lol. Look at you...you've just saved me some time by offering up this exciting info ... It's admirable how you take tidbits of comments and take them to the next level...you southern belles have that in common - a generous bend. Thank you. :-)

Hostanista...glad to hear it! (Your endorsement)
The "freak" thing continues....and at the prices Mocc has quoted, why on earth wouldn't one come home with a carful of hosta??? Oy vey, there goes the resolution all to hell!

o

Hostanista, surely you suggested she join everyone here, didn't you? Seems only fair to help her out a bit. ;)

o

Good gawd, I didn't even TELL her I was part of a Hosta Forum. When she didn't ask to see my hundreds of pictures of hostas or even ask for help in determining which ones she "collects", not to mention even glancing through my copy of the Hostapedia in FULL VIEW right there on the desk, well.......she'll NEVER be "one of us" !!

o

Jo, so you are another Long Distance Runner or Driver. Love to be on a long road trip too. Since the house in MA sold last spring, even my GPS is gathering dust...sigh. I love navigation.

When someone brings new HOSTA sales to our attention it is hard not to take a look, you know how that is...and Jo your plants and garden are beautiful.

o

Yup, Hostanista, I agree; If she didn't jump at the chance to see hundreds of your pics of hostas RIGHT THERE, easy as can be...DIDN'T EVEN GLANCE AT THE HOSTAPEDIA??? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?? (Yelling here, sorry Ken)...

...How can she be one of us? LOL Fun thread, though...

Don B.

o

You say she was there but....WAS SHE AWAKE.???? lol...what a disappointment for you. no matter, she may just be a "sleeper" ...you know, like a good movie...that doesn't quite capture at release, then all of a sudden everyone's talking about it...........

Mocc..you are too kind....if I wasn't so anal about having to choose, see and touch what I am about to buy, I would likely mail order a list as long as Don's arm (longer than mine)! Lol. Perhaps the pickings won't be as good when I finally get there, but boy, I know there will be a carload by the time I'm done....that is IF I have room....Vanessa has her own hybrids I'm dying to see! And touch! And ooh and aha over! :-)

I checked out Giboshi nursery and already have a to-buy list ready...just finished requesting price list from Crooked Creek.

42 more sleeps till Spring!

o

Thanks to Ken and his link to Hosta Choice in Ontario I was doing okay by not ordering until now! I have placed an order of 25 plus the 5 for Myrle and her ongoing list of maybees. Oh well , Myrle says I still have lawn! Now we have to await the May arrivals

o

Jo, if my memory serves me correct, I believe you are in the Barrie area? If so, to get to Riverbend, your best bet would be to hop on #89 at Cookstown and follow all the way through Mount Forest, and Harriston. Just out of Harriston, #89 turns left at Gray's Auction, but go straight (it then becomes #87). Continue on to Gorrie, turn left (south) and go a few miles. C Line Rd will appear on your right, on a curve. Take this road, and you will find Riverbend perhaps 1/2 mile on the right. Shirley is the 'hosta queen' of the area, with over 1000 varieties, most also in display beds. Husband Al is the daylily aficionado, with an equal amount of daylilies to Shirley's hosta. Of course, on the way there, you practically cross ninamarie's driveway, so stop there as well, she's always got some good ones....If you need a navigator, let me know...! Now, I need to take another look at Hosta Choice...

o

Gardens1...yes, good memory I am in Barrie. Where are you?
What great directions, thank you! The hosta Queen has 1000+ you say? AND lilies too? This one is too good to pass up!! I'm familiar with the route and Mount Forest area ... figure minimum of 1 1/2 hr or so..closer than the others and maybe warrants visiting it first? Lol ninamarie's "always got some good ones" ... She sells them too? Oh my, I've landed a gold mine of "hosta road trips" this year!

This thread almost reads like a scheduler for me...better bookmark it!

Let's see...37 more sleeps till Spring...

o

Show your friend a gold one and watch her try to get her head around that...wwwhhhooooooooooooaa!!!!!

Don always B. here to help : )

o

We own a perennial plant nursery in Ontario and carry between 200-300 varieties of hosta.
I stay quiet about the nursery because this is my fun place, where I get to talk and read about hosta and I don't want to be kicked off the forums.

o

Ninamarie - Could you slip in a nursery name? Pretend it is someone else's? Drivable from London?
Love a good roadtrip.
Jan

o

Sorry, Ninamarie, I've no wish to land you in trouble! Jo, I live in the Durham area, so not far from Mount Forest. If you want a companion for a road trip, let me know!

o

Well, it's nice that people are interested. I sometimes feel that I've fallen off the world in winter. Anyway, if this is okay with the forum, my partner and I own WildThings Plant Farm, just outside Mount Forest. We are primarily a perennial plant nursery, but more and more hosta have managed to sneak in to the plant list and the gardens.
We are about to post our 2014 catalogue on the internet. I love every part of running a nursery, except this. It's my nightmare and I find it difficult to relax until the catalogue is done and up. I'd like to shriek now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here