Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brucebanyaihsta

1000's Gold Standard in one hillside bed for impact

brucebanyaihsta
15 years ago

This is Doris and Wayne Guymon's home in Chadds Ford PA, 2006, AHS National Convention garden tour.

Great story on this bed of 'Gold Standard'

I believe these plants have been in place since early 1980's - and yes it has stayed practically all true to Gold Standard with very few revisions to fortunei Hyacynthina

Most clumps were 2-3 feet across

Bruce

Comments (35)

• brucebanyaihsta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

another view form the side

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Now that's impressive! A veritable sea of hosta.

• pzelko
    15 years ago

WOW!! Is anybody looking for a sport in there?

Paul

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Very impressive!! I have several Gold Standards (15),but none are planted in clumps. They are always a good grower,and very cheap to buy! Phil

• sassy7142
    15 years ago

The ever-changing Gold Standard is one of my very favorite oldies.
    I can't even imagine what that garden must look like in person.
    What kind of trees are those growing under?

• brucebanyaihsta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sassy, I recall poplars and nut trees, but may be wrong on that.

Paul, there were "Francee"-like sports, "Moonlight" for sure and some green reversions to the original Hyacyntina.

These plants represented the first efforts by Bill Mitchell to tissue culture hosta in his private lab - he mass-produced and "sold" them to his neighbor, where they still reside in this beautiful breath-taking display.
    Bruce

• Janice
    15 years ago

Beats mowing that slope--fer shur!! Wow!! Just think how overwhelming,
    finding and dealing with 'nems' in all that would be!!!

Thanks for sharing the *beauty*, Bruce!!

• Julie
    15 years ago

That really is a beautiful scene- Very handsome! So many hosta all looking so healthy and each clump a beauty! Thanks for sharing!
    Julie

• plantbug
    15 years ago

WOW, what a scene!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Makes me want to turn my back yard into a sea of hosta!

• jbranch
    14 years ago

I'll bet they have to buy slug bait in bulk.

• shequit
    14 years ago

Just saw this. What a fabulous display. I have many of these but not quite as impressive. I would love to know how these folks keep the deer from gorging on them!

• pzelko
    14 years ago

Aint that a Lotsa Hosta?

Yah, kinda lame

Paul

• hostamanfred
    14 years ago

Lovely Bruce - you must nat have any deer.

• jel48
    14 years ago

That would be deer heaven, wouldn't it?

• gayle0000
    14 years ago

Yowsa!!!!

• User
    9 years ago

bump

• flowerchild59
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

• User
    9 years ago

And a great way to get rid of the lawn too.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Wow! to the hostas 'and' the house!

• glosgarden
    9 years ago

That was my first AHS convention.
    That hillside was incredible.
    Gloria

• glosgarden
    9 years ago

That was my first AHS convention.
    That hillside was incredible.
    Gloria

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

WOW! Just goes to show that we really don't need "one of each"!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

There must be a Captain Kirk around there...somewhere...Sport hunt!

Don B.

• User
    9 years ago

Glo, that is some nice way to remember your first AHS convention.

Reminds me of an excellent routine by Brother Dave Gardner back in the 60s.....yep, that's the right date. About Little Davey who played on his harp....one note....twang...twang...twang. And he thought he was a musician. Someone asked him why, when every other musician played all the notes.

Little Davey replied, "Yeah, all those other musicians .....twang....
    twang... they are still looking for the right note. But I flat found it....twang...twang...twang.

So if you found it, use it, 1000 and then some.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

This reminds me of my hosta garden 10 years ago when I had a beuatiful looking 30 ft row of hosta 'Albomarginata' as a border to the lawn. Areas or rows of single cultivars might be better than many diiferent ones in appearance. Bernd

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

That blows me away. Thank you for sharing.

• User
    9 years ago

Bernd, I can imagine how it looked.
    What I saw one time in a picture here, was a continuous row of golds meandering through a wide border of greens and variegated greens. It was impressive. I think they were all different, but were shades of gold and in the sun.

Now, it is my vision to have a "yellow river" like that running through my garden of potted hosta. Much easier to achieve as long as I get the yellow hosta! Move them into place.

And that is why I bought both Yellow Emperor and Yellow River this year. I would put Yellow River at the beginning of the stream of gold, a clue for the visitor what the effect I want is, and let the gold flow until at the end, it reaches Yellow Emperor. With Empress Wu close at hand in all her green glory. The two were meant to be together.

My problem in achieving this look is getting a long view of the whole river or stream of gold. Not too many long views in such a compact space. Guess I must branch out into the neighbor's garden. La la la la, tsk tsk, such a shame. I wonder if they'd even notice. :)

Plus, I'm checking for any existing hosta named Orinoco Flow, an Enya recording, which I think expresses the concept very well. A golden flowing river, with banks of green.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I see your vision in my head - you produced a looong shot recently (I'll find it if I remember later) that would fit the bill. But just rearranging all those hostas would put a permanent crick in your back! Lol. I really do see the "meandering" "flowing" golden river. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

Jo, thank you for letting me know I described it correctly.
    One garden where I think it would work perfectly is now in development. I forget who it was. They have the house low, the driveway comes between the windows of the house and the recently begun garden which is on the hillside/embankment opposite side of driveway. I thought it was a roadway, but not.

The golden river, Orinoco Flow, could be meandering highly visible in the rest of the hosta planted there. It is an in-ground location, so just stake out the "flow" through it, and pop the golds in the ground as you get them. Not a highly formal concept, I think it fits with the way a river flows.

In another application, where you have no embankment or hillside, a deck or higher observation point over your flat garden, you could see the golden river from that high vantage point. Not a straight line planting, let it wind its way but all golds connected....connect the dots.

I love words which sound like their meanings. Meander.
    (Lollipop is another one, your tongue sort of LICKS the sucker.)
    Gotta love words. They mean something.

• User
    9 years ago

bump...

This is for Ken Adrian, who was looking for this thread for the picture.

Thanks for finding the picture for me, DonB
    I know that HostaCat will enjoy the full discussion too.

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Great impact. Beats agonizing over hosta picks.

DD

• hostacats
    9 years ago

WOW and Double Wow!!! I saw the second picture posted just the other day, but didn't see the first one. This is just so impressive I LOVE it. Wish this is what I could do at the lake!! Love the house too. AND they are gold standards. I counted in my yard and the number of the gold standards was pretty high...like maybe 25 or so. Many are tiny though not many are bigger but I do have some. This is just awesome.
    Moccasin I did enjoy the whole discussion. I am addicted to this forum now!! hehehe
    I am going on holidays for a week and won't be around so I'll miss lots of discussions...BUT I will be back!!

michelle

• User
    9 years ago

Well, Michelle, have a great time on holiday.
    Hope you do not have hosta withdrawal pains.
    We'll be here when you return.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Thanks Moccasin. I'll try and have a blast. I just ordered twenty new hostas that I don't have from blooms Canada so I will have some fun when I get back. These are all the one eye hostas and last time I ordered ten from him they were nice for one eyes. So I'm doing business again. yes they are smaller, but I can't afford big costs.
    AND as to hosta withdrawal pains I have a fair number of them heavily divided ones at the lake I can play with. AND my sister has a cottage right behind us and I landscaped a bit of her yard a couple years back when I took a landscaping and arboriculture course. She has many hostas and had astilbes doing good for her, but bad spring all over and this year most did not come back for her.
    So...I will work on that yard, think of things to do and maybe make more beds...more hostas to bring to the lake, just not the fancy names ones!!!

Michelle

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!