Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Picture request ... Reptilian

leafwatcher
12 years ago

Mine doesn't seem to be doing much, I think this will be its third year.. LEAP year hopefully...

While I do have a boring shot of mine SOMEWHERE ..does anyone have any nice established Reptilian pictures swimming slowly below the tranquil surface of your pc/apples hard drive?

I don't recall any close calls on the Hosta Library... or, none took my bait anyhow ! :)

Comments (10)

• Josh Spece
    12 years ago

Reptilian is slow to show its true self!

• Gesila
    12 years ago

Josh, how old is the one in your pictures? Mine was a pretty good size first year hosta. Wondering how long it will take to get the mature looks of yours. Your's is absolutely spectacular!

Does anyone know the correct spelling (Reptillian vs Reptilian). I've seen it both ways.

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

Reptilian about a month later in the middle of the picture below.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, there are some great personality in those older plants..mine seems to be dragging its feet on the size and texture.

McTavish, that last picture makes me want to pull up a chair and enjoy a coffee watching the breeze play thru the leaves of your garden...

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

I bought a Reptilian Seedling in 2010 which turned out yellow green instead of the dark blue green of a real Reptilian, see lower right of this picture.
    Bernd

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These pictures have me SO stoked up for spring..what will it bring?

hopefully I dodge the early year hailstorm.. I sure hope there is a whole lot of LEAPING going on in the garden !

• Josh Spece
    12 years ago

Gesila, my pics were taken in 2006 and I got the plant as a first year TC in 2000. So it took 6 years to grow to what you see. I would guess the plant in your picture may be 3-4 years old.

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

Gesila, at first I thought your plant was wrong. I looked up when I got mine and my first years pictures showed it was exactly like yours though half the size. It was planted in fairly heavy shade and has grown steadly.

2006 new mail order purchase
    2007 increased size and begining of corrigation
    2008 more corrigation and some leaves wider in shape more ruffled
    2009 mature leaf shape and size.

from then on the plant just gets bigger. Good luck.

berndnyz5, your plant looks like Marilyn Monroe or Candy Dish to me.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

mctavish, I bought that yellowish green one as a 'Reptilian Seedling' at a hosta society sale in August 2010. It is growing nicely. My Marilyn Monroe is green. I have only a Candy Dish X Redstem Seedling which is also green. Some seedlings not necessarily are of the mama's color, so I got a yellow one and did not realize until now that it should be green. But then OTOH I like that color combination of that garden spot.
    Bernd

• hostabff
    12 years ago

I love Reptilian and have found it a good grower. Here's my plant trying to battle it out with my Daphne Summer Ice bush.

Reptilian Year 3

Reptilian Year 4