Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

hello everyone ! Just got the email about the merger..

leafwatcher
9 years ago

Thought I had better get over here and see what was happening? Something about GardenWeb and the Houzz family joining up ? Was news to me but I thought you guys were probably sorting it out already...

Comments (34)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

First I've heard of this.....

GardenWeb has Joined the Houzz Family

We've got some exciting news to share with you.

Last week, GardenWeb joined the Houzz family. The GardenWeb and Houzz communities have a lot in common with regard to our shared passion for our homes and gardens and the overwhelmingly positive experience we try to provide our members. You may even belong to both GardenWeb and Houzz already!

You may have some questions about what to expect in the coming weeks, so we wanted to share some preliminary information with you. Rest assured, it is very important to us to maintain the incredible community you have been a part of creating over the years.

We will:

1. Preserve GardenWeb forums - We love the GardenWeb community and we want it to remain strong and vibrant.
      2. Respect your Privacy - Houzz does not and will not share your contact information with any advertisers.

Next week we'll be in touch with more information and an email to confirm your GardenWeb account, but in the meantime, if you have feedback, questions, or concerns please don't hesitate to email us at feedback@gardenweb.com. We would love to hear from you.

• gimmeshade
    9 years ago

I went to the Houzz website, and it appears we'll have to confirm our Gardenweb account with Houzz by confirming through e-mail or thru Facebook. I don't know for sure, but it looks like Houzz is a huge advertising/shopping site. I hope Gardenweb stays how it is.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

I have used Houzz a little in the past. The last i used it I was just browsing garden pictures, don't remember advertising being a problem then.

Sherry

• LilFarmGirl
    9 years ago

I don't even remember my password for Houzz. I still get their emails and I really do like the forum. I don't know if I want my name to be LilFarmGirl on the Houzz forum. It's a great site and I guess I will figure out something when the time comes.

• irawon
    9 years ago

I belong to both GardenWeb and Houzz. Houzz doesn't seem to allow for member to member conversations that GardenWeb does. That's something I would miss.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to lose GardenWeb but refuse to sign on to this thing you call Houzz.

• smorz
    9 years ago

I did some snooping, from what I gather... Garden web is a part of iVillage and nearly faced bankruptcy until NbcUniversal acquired it. Houzz offers professional articles and ads (more like an online magazine?) and seems to be a very successful media company A format I typically stay away from. I prefer real everyday successes (and even failures) amongst each other as opposed to reading a generic, basic article. As long as they keep the interaction the same, I'm willing to see where it goes.

• gimmeshade
    9 years ago

Smorz, you said it well. I prefer real, everyday experiences. Articles are so generic, and a dime a dozen, and sometimes the same bad advice repeated as nauseum. What's unique about gardenweb are the posts of everyday gardeners who excel and fail together, and are willing to talk about what works and what doesn't. I just love that. From what I saw at Houzz, that may not be the direction gardenweb will follow. We'll have to wait and see.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

Hi leafwatcher,

I'm looking for the e-mail & don't see it. Can you tell me exactly how the return address on the notification e-mail reads so I can search for that? Thanks!

• ajames54
    9 years ago

I just took a look at Houzz and have to say it is the type of site I normally avoid like the plague. That being said, does it even have forums (fora?) like those here? Admittedly, I got frustrated and quit after only 5 minutes or so but I couldn't find anything like this...

• smorz
    9 years ago

We could always make our own site, if it becomes an issue...

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

The American Hosta Society has a Forum, so there is an alternate to Houzz for hosta lovers.

• gimmeshade
    9 years ago

river_crossroads, the link is on the start page of every forum at gardenweb. Here is the link:

https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/articles/204525027-GardenWeb-has-Joined-the-Houzz-Family

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

The message came from support@gardenweb.com.

There is a hosta forum on Chris's site, too. It's pretty active, has lots of photos, etc. You'll occasionally see some people who post both places.

I think Dave's gardens has forums, though I'm not sure about whether there's a hosta group.

There used to be one on the Hosta Library site.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallson's hosta forum

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    9 years ago

Thanks so much gimmeshade and bkay. The webpage says "Next week we'll be in touch with more information and an email to confirm your GardenWeb account" so maybe I'll get the e-mail then. I searched my e-mail, including junk mail. and don't see it so far.

• Ludicious Acres
    9 years ago

Looks like Hallson Gardens will become my new staple forum ... when and if I ever get the time to start posting again. :(

Also keep in mind, it's not about the 'platform' in which we share our experiences, but that we retain a receptive community.

A forum is only as good as its members. :)

All the Best,
    Ludi

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

If most here do decide to go somewhere else please don't keep it a secret as to where. I've grown attached to the style, camaraderie, bantering, photo-sharing and information here and would miss you all a lot.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Ludi, great to hear from you. Chris' forum might work.

bk

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

We could also form a group on facebook. If I am not reading here I am there. And I miss the like buttons. I have no idea what a houzz is but right now I just see more pop-ups and adds in our near futures.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

The email says it will preserve the garden web forums. So I think the forums will still be the same. At least I hope so...

Linda

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I emailed them, they say the popups are going away.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I emailed them, they say the popups are going away.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

I have been here such a short time and have already formed an attachment to this forum and the people on it.
    I read a lot but the interaction here is why I joined, so I echo the sentiments of many here, especially HostaTakeover and Ludisia ("A forum is only as good as its members. :")
    Hope tropic_lover is right.

This post was edited by Peren.all on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 10:01

• gimmeshade
    9 years ago

I wonder why we have to confirm our gardenweb email? They already have it. We are signing in with our info to post here. It must be Houzz who wants to gather email for the transition? What do you think? Does anyone know how this works?

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Perhaps Houzz or their business associates want to Email us a lot of stuff. In case I do not like that, there should be a place to unsubscribe in small print at the bottom of each Email.
    I understand that when you post a photo here, then it may be used by GardenWeb any way they want, now also same for Houzz.

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 16:44

• irawon
    9 years ago

The difference that I see between GardenWeb and Houzz is the ability of members to initiate their own thread. If I require information about hostas or their care, here on GW I can start a thread on that topic. From what I have experienced on HOUZZ, members respond to articles written by HOuzz representatives. It appears to be a more rigid format.

There's another forum called ALL THINGS PLANTS that GardenWeb members might like.

Also I like HALLSON'S. It has a hosta index similar to the Hosta Library's with attached commentaries by members as well as links to the hosta registrar's website of the American Hosta Society. Not as active as GW but it could be.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I hope people give them a chance to live up to their word, that the garden web will still be here. I will continue to come here until there is a significant change. I am not interested in Hallson's forum as I don't shop there.

berndnyz5, I have been the the AHS forum and found not much happening. As far as Houzz emailing, you are right. I have been a member for a year now and they email about 2X per week with updates. I have it go to my "promotions" box and check it only when I want to. Houzz has many pictures and is great for someone thinking about a remodel. I check it out regularly, great fun.

As far as my info being "out there" I think I am a lost cause. I think google tracks me as well as other search engines. I'm quite a boring person, so I've given up on cyber-privacy.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some of the other hobby forums I go on change hands now and then, but they have for the most part continue them on.. because that promotes the traffic they want .

P.s. I use Firefox and some of their anti spam add ons I see no pop up adds on this site.

By the way, the snow is 14 inches ...fresh and heavy today !

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    9 years ago

I don't post on GW often, but I do a lot of reading here - now mostly for garden information, but when we were building our house I used the other forums for making building/design/appliance decisions, etc. I don't think I could have made it through that harrowing process without the great info I gleaned on GW. In fact, I rarely buy anything household-related without first doing a search on GW, to see what "real people" say about it!

And I have SO appreciated the advice I've received from some of you when I have posted a question about the garden -- i.e. - Ken, your good advice is always to be counted upon!!!

So, like all gardeners, I'm hopeful/optimistic that things will improve and grow (no pop-ups could be a great improvement, right?)... and that things will turn out alright somehow. Change happens.

That said - if they totally screw up my GW, I plan to let them know what I think!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

My email message

'
    Hi there,

It’s Tamara, Community Manager at GardenWeb, and we are celebrating! To recognize the amazing GardenWeb community as it becomes part of Houzz, we are sending out some care packages. We’ve randomly selected a handful of loyal GardenWeb users for a chance to get some Houzzwarming goodies to welcome you aboard, and a chance to enter to win a brand new iPad! Prizes will be drawn at random from those GardenWeb users receiving this email and officially entering below.

To enter, we will ask you to reply to this email with your GardenWeb username and mailing information, so we can get your prizes to you as quickly as possible. (We will not share this information and it will be used only for the purpose of this email, I promise.)

All entries must be received by Monday 2/9 at 11:59pm PST.

Thank you again for helping make GardenWeb such a special community.

Tamara and the Houzz Team'

Legitimate?

Jon

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Once you give your mailing address you might get more!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Well, I will soon find out. As long as it is just mail, I don't mind.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I got one too...but I've communicated with Tamara before...inclined to trust her word.

Jo