Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Hosta Alphabet A - Winter 2012

paul_in_mn
12 years ago

I think there's time to squeeze in a round of the Hosta Alphabet before the southern peeps get us jealous with their March hosta pics. If we stay on pace of a letter per day, we should finish in the first days of March.

If you're new to the Hosta Forum, this is a great time to make lists to start/add to your addiction.

Please add pics of your hostas that begin with the letter 'A'.

A few to start-

Adorable.....a Royal Standard sport - recent introduction, seems to grow well (2nd year)

American Hero.....a Revolution sport - 1st year, recent introduction

Aristocrat.....a Hadspen Blue Sport - a favorite of mine - pics early and late in season

C'mon you lurkers, time to post some pics and join in.

Paul

Comments (17)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

This is a first year plant, but it still looks good. I figured I'd get mine in before Merle blows us away.

Alligator Shoes

Steve

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

I always liked my Abiqua Moonbeam,ever since I found it at Lowes(yes,Lowes) and it has been excellent every year. Phil

{{gwi:919355}}

• hostamanphil
    12 years ago

Allen C. Haskell, a seedling from Mildred Seaver.Phil

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

Great - more pictures!

New in 2011 - love it.

An oldie but a favorite

Third Year, a good grower for me

Another 3rd year

Here you go Steve, I love Alligator Shoes especially since this area is now ground watered instead of overhead which wrecked the leaves. It's not the biggest example as most of my hostas aren't but that's ok with me.
    Myrle (the 'e' is the guy way to spell it. That's ok, you didn't add a 't' as people often do.)

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

Here's my Atlantis,newly planted in 2010. Note the all-gold sport on it. I separated it from the plant last year,and have named it Pacificus. Looking forward to seeing it come up next month. BTW,Myrle,your plants are gorgeous,as usual! Phil

{{gwi:927992}}

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Abiqua Drinking Gourd

Alakazaam

Allegan Fog

American Hero

Andrew (youngin')

Aristocrat

Karen

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    12 years ago

American Sweetheart, just a baby.

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Alvatine Taylor
    {{gwi:928001}}
    American Sweetheart
    {{gwi:928002}}
    Atlantis
    {{gwi:928003}}
    Azure Snow
    {{gwi:928005}}

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

Alex Summers

the other Steve

• hosta_junkie
    12 years ago

Allen P McConnell:

Another American Sweetheart:

Arc de Triomphe:

Trio of August Moon - simply glows when the morning sun hits this area:

Avalanche - very low to the ground, really spreads flat:

• User
    12 years ago

McTavish, that AWAKENING ANGEL does look like angel wings! and is such a graceful shape.

Be sure to update its progress this year too.

The trio of AUGUST MOON with its chartreuse glow, that is something I like to see in the garden, nothing blah about that green!

• sshoop1zone4a
    12 years ago

I have been lurking for awhile and thought I would try to post some pictures using Paul's instructions.
    Hosta Abba Dabba Do

Hosta Alligator Shoes

Hosta Aspen Gold

I have enjoyed looking at all the photos for the last year. I started planting Hostas in 2009 so none of mine have been in my garden for more than three years.
    Samantha

• naal
    12 years ago

From April/May 2011-

this one croaked over last summer... don't know why, it was sooo healthy at the beginning of the year!

Aristrocrat

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A few more to add-

Abby, a Gold Drop Sport
    {{gwi:928034}}

A Many Splendored Thing, a hybrid of Dorothy Benedict x hypoleuca - 2nd year, starting to get rugose, registration lists growth as slow

Adrian's Glory, a Gold Standard sport- third year, starting to take hold, similar to Captain Kirk

Abiqua Moonbeam, an August Moon sport - a favorite

Americana, a Loyalist sport- 2nd year, probably moving to the garden this year.

American Icon, a sport of Choo Choo Train - 3rd year, was setback in 2010 and just starting to recover

American Halo, a Northern Halo sport - 4th year and hasn't done much, rabbits got the pips a couple of years in a row.

Anne Arett, a Subcrocea sport - 2nd year

Antioch, out of Fortunei - 2nd year

Paul

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

Wow, Abby's gorgeous.

bkay

• almosthooked zone5
    12 years ago

This is a wonderful site for someone that is new at the hosta world. This is all to my neighbour who had gave me a few hosta she was dividing and my comments of how beautiful her gardens looked. This was only last year and here I am with over 100 hosta. And yes her name is Myrle!!She thinks I should have calledmyself definetlyhooked!! I still have a long want list

• User
    12 years ago

If Merle were my neighbor, I'd be hooked too!! Happy Hosta-ing, almosthooked!! Any pictures to share are welcome any time of year, you know. But I guess most folks have more spare time in the winter.