Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinewifenc

Could you help me with this?

Marinewifenc
10 years ago

I lost my mom on January 14th 2014 to a 10 month battle with cancer. I am wanting to collect photographs from all over with her name written somewhere, in the sand, snow, rocks, on paper, anything, and the location, and then photographed. I want to do this so she can still "travel the country/world" and I would like to give this to my dad as a scrapbook on what would have been their 45th anniversary.

Anyone willing to take photos would really help me. The only specifics are that it has this
DIANNE
City/State/Country (country if not US or CAN)

These can be posted here or emailed to me at rememberdianne@gmail.com

or you could join my facebook page i made for this and help spread this to help me. I've added an example picture.

https://www.facebook.com/shewasloved

Comments (15)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

This is something I can do, Marinewife. Give me a couple days or so, and I'll do a message in the snow here in Westminster, CO and then get a pic, and send it to you. This is a very nice thing you're doing for your mom, so I can at least do that much.

I know your mom's name, obviously, was 'DIANNE'...FYI if you didn't know about this hosta, there is a very nice variety called 'Diana Remembered' and it also has rather large (for hostas) beautifully fragrant flowers. My only concern would be that 'Diana' would be something she was never called in her life, or if it was a nickname she despised, if you get my drift, invalidating the name 'Diana'. Know what I mean? In any case, if you'd like to see the hosta, it's in the hosta library. It's a widely-sold variety, and not very expensive at all.

Just a thought, unless the spelling disqualifies it from being valid concerning your memorials to your dear, departed Mother.

Kindest Regards,
    Don Backer

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I am so, so sorry for your loss, marinewife. You and your family must feel so bereft.

Could you please share what her favourite flower was? I am working on an idea for you for your dad's scrapbook. This is a very loving thing you are doing for your dad. It is also a beautiful way to start a perpetual memorial in your mother's name.

Sincerely,
    Jo

• Marinewifenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@don, thank you id love one written in the snow where you are. I will definitely check out Diana Remembered, and I still wanna find Remember Me. I've still yet to find any local place that sells hostas except lowes,walmart, etc have like 5 diff types but they all had the same 5.

@ josephines67 oh gosh, im not even sure her favorite flower, im not sure anyone knows lol, she loved all flowers. Her fav plants were hostas and ferns. I know she liked roses and calla lilies. I think she liked all lillies, and clematis since she grew those. she had big hydrangeas too, and some big huge sunflowers.

• Marinewifenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I asked my dad, he actually did know her favorite flowers.

"lilies and carnations thats why we have about 60 lilies that she would plant every year.they were the flowers in ourwedding.thats is why i had 3 lilies with big green leaves from the 3 kids at the funeral and mine were carnations.every thing i did ment something to her"

10 years ago

Hostas Direct have a listing for H. 'Dianne' and a picture but it is not currently available. That is good to know...for when it IS available :-)

Thank you for the flower information...I'll get on it and post back when I accomplish my goal.

10 years ago

Look for an email message from me in your junk mail, marine wife. :-)
    I'll put my name in header...
    Best wishes,
    Jo.

10 years ago

Message came back 'undeliverable'. Do you have another email address by any chance?

• Ashlie Neevel
    10 years ago

I would be happy to take a photo here in Amsterdam. Unfortunatley my tulips haven't sprung up otherwise I would make it out of Tulips. Either way though You will be getting a photo from the Netherlands. I am very sorry for your loss.

• Ashlie Neevel
    10 years ago

So my husband and I made a banner and went out through Amsterdam and took a few pictures for you. Its not exactly what you were looking for in that the banner says "Dianne Welkom In Nederland" which translates to Dianne Welcome to the Netherlands. We decided to approach it as if we were showing her around town if she were here visiting.

We took pictures in front of some Dutch Canal Houses, Amsterdam Centraal Station which is the main train station in the city (though there are others) and also the Basilica of St. Nicholas which was built in the 1800's. We took pictures in front of the Royal Palace at Dam Square and also in front of the infamous I AMSTERDAM sign that tourists always take photos with.

This was a really special day for me and I am glad that I could do something nice for all of you. Though I didn't know your mother, a part of her will love on forever with me in my heart. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this special project.

All our love,

Harmen & Ashlie Neevel
    Amsterdam Netherlands.

{{gwi:928158}}

• Marinewifenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AshlieNeevel I completely fell in love with this, so much that I may search hard to find others to do the same. Amazing. I teared u looking at these and I know my dad is going to love it when this project is complete.
    Thank you so much

• Ashlie Neevel
    10 years ago

You're very welcome. I'm glad that you like them. I was a little worried since I deviated from what you example was. Im glad that I could help out. It really made me feel good to do it. I have your facebook page "liked" so if you get any interesting pictures of people doing something similar please share them id love to see how its coming along.

best of luck

10 years ago

Ashlie...that is just too cool! I love what you and your husband did.

I just received confirmation that my email made it. What a coincidence....marinewife used to live in a town approx. forty five minutes west of me!!! :-)

I hope this continues to grow.

• Ashlie Neevel
    10 years ago

thanks josephine we had a great time doing it. On marine's facebook page someone did soething similar but in dubai and i have asked one of my friends in england to make one and i asked one of my famous author friends to make one and let her fanbase know about the project so they can do it to but i dont know if she will do it or not. I hope so though

10 years ago

If she responds favourably, I'd love to know who the author is. I guess we will wait and see. You are just about single-handedly ensuring the perpetuity of this memorial to Dianne - kudos and it speaks volumes about your warm personality. :-)

• Ashlie Neevel
    10 years ago

i just really thought it was cool idea and i know i would appreciate it if someone would do it for me if i had asked so I dont mind doing it. you know do unto others and all that

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!