Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta R 2013

On a sunny day, two fathers and two sons went fishing. Each one of them caught one fish. When they went home, there were only three fishes, why?

Ready to see the Rs:

Comments (66)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I don't have any Rs, but I think I have answer to the riddle up top. There were only 3 fish because there was one grandfather, one father and one son. The father is the grandfather's son, so that makes 2 fathers and 2 sons but only 3 people total...so only 3 fish.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Rainbows End

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Rare Breed

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Raspberry Sorbet

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Regal SPLENDER

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Remember Me

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Revolution

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Royal Standard

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Love the colour of this one: Richmond

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Ripple Effect

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

This is a sport of Royal Flush (see Steve's beautiful plant above). Mine sported to yellow. I divided it off and had it in a pot. In a bad spring I lost it but the main plant sported again. I left it as is and now am down to only a couple varigated leaves. The color of this is amazing. It's across a walkway from Piedmont Gold. I should find a shot that shows both for comparison. Anyway, before I knew there was a name for this sport I called it Ra so that's what mine is called.

The first of two with 'orange' edge. I wish someone would introduce a solid that is this orange color or tell me if there is such a thing.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Radiant Star

Rare Breed

rectifolia Chionea

Red Hot Poker

Regal Chameleon

Regal Supreme

Roller Coaster Ride

Rotini

Royal Tiara

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Wow so many beauties! Yes, yes, yes! Royal Flush IS a stunner. And Ra is such an appropriate name in this case...I love it! McT..it's always so interesting to see your plants because they, without fail, always have something unique about them - either in leaf shape, more colour contrast, or more subtlety...must be the climate? It all spells "beauty".

Rascal is on my "will buy for sure this season" as I lost out last year. Haven't seen too many here but what I have seen makes me impatient for it. Cindy (one of my suppliers) has a gorgeous huge one I keep fawning over.

Anyway, here are my R's before I get too carried away...

H. 'Rainforest Sunrise' ... Just for fun I purchased a bagged hosta last March then grew it in a jam jar in water until it could go into the garden. Keen to see how it grows this year.

10 years ago

My favourite so far for R is 'Revolution'. It clearly commands attention, even more so when in flower, so I chose a blooming picture over several stunning non-blooming ones. Itching to divide to make more for more impact down the road. Yes, I could buy another one and leave the current size alone....but there's something about having its direct sibling in the garden...

10 years ago

'Ripple Effect' . Year two coming up on this one...out of all the 'June' progeny, this one is the most unusual so far for its ripply long leaves. Not best pic...end of season-Oct.2013

10 years ago

'Rainbow's End' ... new in 2013.... Crisp leaf colour is even crisper in contrast with flower colour...instant love.

10 years ago

'Raspberry Sundae' also new in 2013 ... The raspberry is more defined in older plants...definitely noteworthy. Picture-taking will be astronomical this year. I've already started trashing some pics to make room for better ones.
    Brings Ludi to mind..white centre.:-)

10 years ago

'Robert Frost' ... A really late purchase, the last new one for 2013...NHL sent me a pic of a mature one she had seen on a tour. I am so glad I bought RF after seeing that pic...it has great potential.

10 years ago

Enable alert!!! Radiant Star and Regal Chameleon! Would that both were growing in my back yard precisely that way! Oh my, such a pull on my heart. Sigh...

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

My three "R's"...
    Revolution

Remember Me

Regal Splendor

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

flower-frenzy you are correct. For knowing the answer you may purchase 5 more hostas than what you have planed. Thank you for your answer. Paula

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Lol, Paula. I'll surely do that! (I most definitely would have done so anyway, but now I can feel justified because you said that it's okay!) ;0)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

LOL, I have to share this:

I told my 9-year old this riddle by challenging him and saying that I got this in about 5 seconds and let's see how he does, then proceeded to paraphrase the riddle like this:

Two fathers and two sons went fishing and each caught a fish. When they went home there was only three fish, how could that be?

His answer was (in about 5 seconds, mind you): One of the son's names was "Each" and he caught all the fish.

My DH looked at me and said "Done" with a smile.

Foiled by a 9-year old. Gotta love 'em.

Here is my "R", Raucous Ruffles, still growing!

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Here is another h.'Ryan's Big One'. Bernd

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Decided to post a picture of Rainforest Sunrise next to other hostas to best showcase its coloration. I really like this hosta. Note that this photo was taken in early September!

This post was edited by newhostalady on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 19:34

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Got a 'Riptide'.

Don B.

10 years ago

One of my new acquisitions in 2013. I am looking forward to seeing this in the spring.

10 years ago

Look at the water beads!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

This is what an immature 'Reptilian' looks like, rather plain. Hoping this duckling blossoms in the spring.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Royal Tapestry' mine is not yet a good example of this hosta. I can only enable you by requesting you check a mature one out at the hosta library. Perhaps the WOW factor will be there for you, like it was for me.

Cheers!
    Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Royal Tapestry' looks a little better in my second pic. Has grown quickly the two seasons I've had it.

Don B.

• duane456
    10 years ago

mctavish6---can't say I'm a fan of the distorted pics.

10 years ago

Jo, you reminded me about that picture I took of Robert Frost. Taken at a private garden tour.

NOT MINE--NOT MINE--WISH IT WERE MINE--WISH IT WERE MINE

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

newhostalady, this h. 'Robert Frost' you are showing is a very nice plant. Thanks for showing; I have a little plant only, but in a few years it might be like that... Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot, guys. Time to put 'Ryan's Big One' on the shopping list.

; P

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise in the end of June

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Rascal

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Raspberry sorbet

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

one of my Regal Splendor

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Rich Uncle

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Richland Gold

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Robert Frost in 2012. He has grown lots but like the water drops on him so decided on this picture

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Roller coaster ride

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Royal Standard if my last r to post as the others I have are small and some bite missing from bugs or slugs

• donrawson
    10 years ago

"On a sunny day, two fathers and two sons went fishing. Each one of them caught one fish. When they went home, there were only three fishes, why?"

Actually, all three of them were sons....so you had two fathers and three sons that went fishing...but the fish weren't biting very good 'cause they each caught only one fish...

• igmommy
    10 years ago

Radiant Edger

Regal Splendor

Rainforest Sunrise

Rainbow's End

Ripple Effect

Revolution

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Rich Uncle. Phil

• dg
    10 years ago

Wonderful pics. Soooo enabling :-) Now added Ripple Effect to my spring order, I thank you very much!

Here's a leaf shot of a hosta I haven't seen in the "R's" yet:

(and the)
    Rocket's Red Glare
    (the bombs bursting in air)

10 years ago

Another private tour photo. This one is on my wish list.