Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta X 2014

1. What occurs once in every minute, twice in every moment, yet never in a thousand years?

2. If you turn your right-handed glove inside out and put it on your left hand, where will the palm of the glove be on your left hand?

3. Note: this riddle must be done in your head and not using pencil and paper.
Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Now add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10. What is the total?

X-games of the Hosta Winter Games. Bring it on:

Comments (14)

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

X Ray

Vanessa

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Thanks Vanessa, now I am OBLIGATED to add X-Ray to my MUST HAVE list. It looks huge in the pic (GREAT photo!) but it's classified as a mini. How big and how old is that clump?

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Vanessa - I like your X-Ray photo better than any of the library offerings - I could be tempted. I don't have an 'X'.
    Jan

• User
    10 years ago

Your X-Ray looks better than mine, totally different. But here it is in June last year.

Xanadu in April 2013..

Too bad the pickings for "X" are so scant. Some enterprising hybridizer should give us Alphabeters a break and name a few something with X.....like Jim Hartmann's H. 'Xela'.....which I have on my Wish List.....hope he is back from Africa and can post a picture of it for us...hint hint.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Hippie, when I first looked at yours, I thought it was X-rated. The second time I looked, I realized it was labeled X-ray. I looked at the hosta library and was still unsure. I think it's because the X-rated at the Dallas Arboretum looks like yours. I tried it in a pot, and it didn't work for me, but did extremely well at the arboretum under really bad conditions. This was after 50 days over 100 degrees (some as high as 110) and no rain for several weeks. (It was irrigated.) I may try it again. Most of the hosta were fried, so the ones that weren't really stood out.

bk

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Here's my Xanadu front and center. Since I have to use my iPhone to post it will likely be upside down for some of you. If it is, please feel free to edit the picture.
    To the left of Xanadu is Rise and Shine.
    Behind is One Man's Treasure.
    To the right is Wylde Green Cream.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Your pic is rightside-up on my screen, Tim. Great pic of some nice hosta. What is the big blue hosta?

Don B.

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

My X-Ray was purchased at Giboshihill Hostas in 2011. The photo above was taken in spring 2013. It does green up a bit later in the season and I would classify it as small sized, not mini. Giboshihill has a few pictures of theirs on their site so I've attached a link.

I don't think the photos on the Hosta Library do it justice...same with X-Rated.

Vanessa

Here is a link that might be useful: Giboshihill Hostas X-Ray Link

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

I did not know that Jim was in Africa. Are you saying that he is back now? I hope that he posts his adventures also.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Actually, VP, Jim's been posting pics and paragraphs of his Africa safari trip on the Hallson Gardens message boards. He's 'Africa Man' on those message boards, and then he'll come back to us on GW in spring as mild-mannered Jim Hartmann, hosta lover, breeder and collector.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thank you, hippie, I'll look at your links. It's amazing how differnt and similar they appear depending on the date and the latitude.

bk

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Don the big blue is Blue Blazes.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ID, Tim. I like yours a lot; yours has nice leaf ripples that a lot of 'Blue Blazes' examples don't seem to have, at least in most pics I've seen.

Don B.