Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Red Petioles

1. Why can't you take a picture of a man with a wooden leg?

2. Where will you find roads without cars, forests without trees and cities without houses?

3. I am a three digit number.
My tens digit is five more than my ones digit.
My hundreds digit is eight less than my tens digit. What number am I?

I would not mind putting together a group of red petioles. A look that is so appealing.

Comments (31)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Do red flowers count? Disclaimer, this is not my plant, but I'm trying to grow some.

Another disclaimer: this is not my picture. I think it was taken by Ken Ziarek, but it's been my computer wall paper since it was issued by First Look last year. This is H. Almost.

Let's do some pics of Beet Salad. Here's another shot of a Beet Salad flower bract.

Here's Beet Salad as it emerges (with a little friend providing a red comparison).

Here's a shot of the Beet Salad red edge

And here's a Beet Salad selfed seedling

A couple more seedlings. This is Neptune x Mr. Blue. More purple than red on this one.

Another promising seedling is this Mango Salsa x Cranberry Wine seedling

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 8:51

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i have tried number one... but couldnt get the flash to fire ... lol

ken

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Ken - I thought you usually recommend to turn off the flash anyway.
    Jan

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Fire Island - not a great picture for revealing red pets, but they are in there!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow Steve, thanks for all the great pics.

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

soooo ... none but me enjoyed the mind benders????

or are you guys so hosta-centric you didnt even notice the words ... lol ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I will try:
    1. man wears long pants.
    2. Hiroshima just after A bomb blast.
    3 194.
    Bernd

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

2. On a map
    Kathy

• donrawson
    10 years ago

1. Why can't you take a picture of a man with a wooden leg? I'd use a camera, not a wooden leg. Actually, most folks use a smart phone to take pics nowadays...

2. Where will you find roads without cars, forests without trees and cities without houses? Roads without cars- the ancient Roman Empire. Forests without trees- Yellowstone after a forest fire. City without houses- downtown NYC...it's all skyscrapers, no houses.

1. I am a three digit number.
      My tens digit is five more than my ones digit.
      My hundreds digit is eight less than my tens digit. What number am I? 194 or -194. Or 083?
  • ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    10 years ago

!, Wooden leg is not a camera
    2. On a map
    3. 194.

lol I am just happy you all play along with me, Paula

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Hey Ken,
    I thought not too long ago you said that you never look at the Alphabet posts? LOL
    Vanessa

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

All I have is an un-photoworthy 'Red October'... : ( Well, I have 'Riptide' and 'Reptilian', but they didn't show me any petiole color last year...maybe this summer...

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 22:10

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Last spring and summer I bought 'Red Dragon', 'Designer Genes', 'One Man's Treasure', had already two 'Red October'. I thought to use pollen of those on yellow hostas, but 'Key West' never bloomed, and it did not take on both S&S, forgot to do it on 'August Moon', so that was a dud. I also have no photos. I must say that the blossoms and scapes of all of those were wonderful. I still have pollen of some, might use this summer.
    Others make hundreds of crosses and I could not make a few of those. But my large blue ones on streakers are great! Bernd

• miketropic
    10 years ago

never was very interested in the reds until this post..someone game me a fire island and I will admit it is nice but a few of the pics posted in here will have me on the hunt

• miketropic
    10 years ago

stupid phone

This post was edited by miketropic on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 10:00

• miketropic
    10 years ago

stupid phone

This post was edited by miketropic on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 9:59

• miketropic
    10 years ago

double

This post was edited by miketropic on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 9:58

• miketropic
    10 years ago

double

This post was edited by miketropic on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 9:57

• dg
    10 years ago

Here's a young Red Alert in April of 2013. It was a bonus plant from my 2012 Hallson order.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Nice Reds. It took me a while to appreciate the reds. Most of the time the red petiole seems to disappear under the foliage. I don't pick plants for that reason but have come to appreciate them. I am very intrigued by Beet Salad and the slight red margin. When the clever hybridizers come up with a really visible margin of pink or red that will be something.

When I saw Almost it reminded of One Mans Treasure. I thought they must be related but couldn't find a link.

The wind blew the leaves around on Red October allowing me to get this picture which was one of my best from last summer.

This one has a faint touch of pink on the tips and the flowers are cute when they poke out of the foilage.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

As I wrote, I really like the red scapes and blue/ purple flowers of some of them. I have planted my hostas with red petioles in the ground, so I can not see the petioles from above. I read somewhere that hostas with red petioles should be planted in pots and then placed higher to show that red. I have a little hosta 'Raspberry Sorbet' (see the H Library) which has green petioles but red scapes and beautiful flowers. It was the first getting eaten buy a rabbit last spring.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

What would you say the most upright of the reds is?
    I just ordered Fire Island, Fruit Punch & Cherry Tart.
    Looking forward to delivery!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

The most upright of the reds to me would be 'Rocket's Red Glare'. New, still in pots but quite upright.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Come to think of it, these petioles are more purple/brown/red, but here's another pic, looking down, and you can still see red.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

"Forests without trees": Petrified Forest National Park.
    "Roads without cars": Roads marked on a map
    "Cities without houses": a prairie dog town, a beehive

• dfrench200 (7a)
    9 years ago

I just ordered H. Almost and H. Vivacious! Vivacious is a streaked hosta with red petioles. Can't wait! I'll post photos when they arrive.

• User
    9 years ago

Great to see the Beet Salad photos from Steve. I've waited for those. The purple bud of the flower is to die for! And I was so enraptured by MY Beet Salad having a red edge....the barest minimum of a red on the edge like a razor's edge. I got mine in 2011, and it made a full pot this spring. I had to repot it.

I enjoy the red legs on the hosta. Earlier I put a number of them in a line, my CanCan chorus line, Folies Bergere.
    Let me see if the red legs are showing.

China Girl in May 2014

Riptide sort of a smoky plum color. The scape is a frosted smoothie color.....it will bloom later

One Man's Treasure has these red legs, purple flowers, and sets lots of seedpods (hear that Bernd?) and I think Bob Solberg uses it a lot in some of his hybridizing.

Stephan King has blood red petioles...appropriate I think

Here is the red leg chorus line. Hard to see the pets with the tall liriope. They do need elevation to get the effect.

Red Sox picture from last year which shots the pets

Harry Van De Laar is one I really like. It has the colored pets and the white backs and wavy edges... Its companion is Red October. As you can observe, hard to tell what is beneath the leaf canopy with an overhead shot.

Rocket's Red Glare with Sugar Plum, which also has deep PLUM colored petioles.

While Squash Casserole and its sporting offspring don't have red petioles (that I've noticed anyway), the flower scapes are dark purplish red. With purple flowers.

Mango Salsa

Paradise Island with its purple red flower scapes and purple flowers. Note how green it becomes when I keep it in too much shade. (Mango Salsa above of course was in a lot of sun this year, and Paradise Island is too, I simply don't have a picture I can find now.) It blooms in August here.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Here's a recent pic of my Red October. I also have Torchlight (in a red pot). My Fire Island is nothing too special this time of year, but was stunning easily in the season, of course. I purchased Designer Genes this year from Plant Delights. I know I have some others with red petioles, but the names escape me right now. Great thread, and I'm loving all of the pics!
    ~Angie

• User
    9 years ago

Another one I like and which is featured in HLibrary showing its red petioles, is The Razor's Edge. You can see the pets in this picture taken soon after I potted it surrounded by sweet small Verna Jean.

However, it doesn't take long for all of them to fill in and the pets disappear colorwise. TRE is one of my first favorite hosta..I don't think I'd buy it for the red legs, since they disappear as the plant thickens. Taken May 29 this year

• peteyfisk
    9 years ago

Here's my Strawberry Banana Smoothie. Can't really see the red petioles, but they're there!

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

Really like this one ⦠Plum Pudding

dave

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!