Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Hosta Alphabet A - Winter 2012

paul_in_mn
12 years ago

Baby this and blue that and so much more, time for the B's.

Please add pics of your hostas that begin with the letter 'B' Don't forget leaf and flower pics as well.

Blue Flame, a sport of Fragrant Blue and similar to Secret Love - got this at a hosta society meeting last last year so not much experience on how this one grows.

Blue River, a sport of True Blue- third year plant, moved to an newly expanded garden in late summer. Top pic in HL reminds me of Alligator Shoes.

Baby Buntiing has yielded a number of attractive sports - Good grower

Paul

Comments (16)

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dang, copied over A header and forgot to change to B.

Sorry

Paul

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Blue Angel is a year 2 plant, all others are year 1.

Blue Angel

Beet Salad

Beckoning

Blue Ivory

Blue Umbrellas

Steve

• franknjim
    12 years ago

Blue Ivory
    {{gwi:929643}}
    Blue Mouse Ears Supreme
    {{gwi:929644}}
    Blonde Elf
    {{gwi:929645}}
    Bitsy Gold
    {{gwi:929646}}
    Blue Boy
    {{gwi:929647}}

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

This is the "A" that's a "B" - I get it.
    Steve, your second year Blue Angel is giving me an inferiority complex. My Blue Angel is 15 years old. It has less then 10 leaves. I've tried it in different spots but I think it hates me.

This one's so good I had to post it twice

This certainly makes my top 5. The third year in the garden

Fifth year in the garden. Sold as Hillbilly Blues

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Biggie

Blue Baron

Blue Jay

Blue Lollipop (very tiny, surprised it came up at all)

Blue Mouse Ears (and friends)

Blueberry Muffin

Bridegroom (struggles for me, will have to relocate)

I'm sure I have more B's that I hadn't taken photos of last year. Maybe this year I'll be better at getting more photos of my hostas through the season.

Karen

• hostamanphil
    12 years ago

Bingo

Borocay

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

Big Daddy in 2010

the other Steve

• leafwatcher
    12 years ago

Blue Krinkles middle summer

Blue Krinkles Fall

• User
    12 years ago

McTavish, I adore your Black Hills and Brother Stefan. I will be replacing my Brother Stefan, apparently lost or left behind in the PODS move south.

• mctavish6
    12 years ago

Thanks Moccasinlanding. My Black Hills is nine years old now but grew steadily right from the beginning. I've bought several hostas for their heavy corrugation and this one is probably the best for me. Brother Stefan was an impulse buy. It had been out for a few years and I read (or dreamt?) that it was slow so I avoided it. I probably never would have gotten it if I hadn't seen it at a local nursery. To me, it's amazing.

• sshoop1zone4a
    12 years ago

Here are some B's from 2011
    Hosta Bedford's Rise and Shine

Hosta Blueberry Ala Mode

Hosta Bumblebee

Samantha

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blue Hawaii - 3rd year, looking better every year, nice color and upright

Paul

• naal
    12 years ago

From April/May 2011

Blue Arrow

Three different Blue Cadets, bought at the same time, placed in different locations

• User
    12 years ago

I'll have to check to see if there is another BEET SALAD in here. I was busy looking at STAINED GLASS so much, I overlooked BEET SALAD very close to it.
    The petioles are beetish red, and the margins in places are reddish purple also. I think I was hungry the day I ordered this from Nancy Solberg, cause I also got edible sounding plants.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

A couple to add-

Band of Gold, hybrid Dorothy Benedict x hypoleuca - third year, bright margin

Blue Angel Streaked - 2nd year

Blue Shadows, a Tokudama Aureonebulosa sport - 2nd year, slow grower, but love the colors

Blue Wedgewood, tardiflora x Elegans - 3rd year, growing well, need to move to show upright form. Guacamole and Spilt Milk will over run it this year or next.

Bob Deane - 3rd year, wavy edge was much improved last year

Bressingham Blue, a sieboldiana hybrid - big leaves, this one in quite a bit of shade, moved another a couple of years ago to brighter spot - hoping it takes a jump this year. Would love a large specimen of this one.

Paul

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Hosta Hillbilly had a very large and nice Bressingham Blue! Where is HB?