Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta R 2012

"It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want it - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!" - Mark Twain

submitted by: moccasinlanding

Really now show the Rs!

Comments (41)

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

A young but pretty leaf from my 'Royal Tapestry'

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Baby 'Rhino Hide'

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

'Rainforest Sunrise' just before planting. Sept. 2012.

• Cher
    11 years ago

Regal Splendor
    Cher

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

HH's namesake plant Hosta 'Rascal'

Rhino Hide

Rainforest Sunrise

Royal Flush

Steve

• irawon
    11 years ago

I bought Raspberries and Cream in 2011 and it appears to be hardy.

RASPBERRIES and CREAM on May 26, 2012

• irawon
    11 years ago

Ripple Effect is one year old on May 22, 2012

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

Royal Standard

• irawon
    11 years ago

Two clumps of Royal Standard beginning to bloom on August 14, 2012. They're over 30 years old and have been divided many times.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Hosta 'Royal Standard' blooming August 16. Bernd

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

I suppose everyone has a Royal Standard.
    It is the first one I bought, planted in the wrong place and it flourished anyway. It wants to take over the yard.

Revolution, pretty, but the slowest growing hosta I have.

Regal Splendor, new, but one that I think will quickly become a favourite.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Rainbow's End

Raspberry Sorbet (flowers only)

Restless Sea

Ripple Effect (pips)

Ripple Effect (unfurling, never got a shot fully unfurled last year)

Karen

• hostanista
    11 years ago

My little Ripple Effect, year 1. Karen I ADORE your pic of Ripple Effect pips! Very creatively photographed!

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

What a great picture of Ripple Effect with droplets - very nice! I also love your little garden fairy Karen. It takes me right into fantasy land where I spend a lot of my time.

I should say this is my name for the Royal Flush sport. There is another one but I didn't know it at the time. When it sported yellow I divided it off at first but that division was in a pot and was lost. It sported again so I just let it. It's a wonderful, strong shade of yellow.

This one's got to be in my top ten

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise

Revolution

Regal Splendor

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

H. 'Revolution'

H. 'Royal Standard'

H. 'Rhino Hide'

H. 'Regal Splendor' (It's still in that pot, and it may stay there - a pot seems to show its profile well.)

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Rollercoaster Ride

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Rich Uncle

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Rainforest Sunrise

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. When I saw Ripple Effect emerging with its interesting shape and colors in the pips, and with the water droplets, I had to take a macro shot of it which involved setting the camera on the ground, the view finder tilted up, and taking several shots at different angles to get that picture. I'm glad I took it.

Karen

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Karen .. Now we all will be trying pictures of our pips with water drops! It is beautiful.

• irawon
    11 years ago

"It wants to take over the yard." North53, you are, oh, so right about Royal Standard. You expressd my sentiments exactly. I'm getting exhausted cutting mine back.

Tepelus, those are amazing pictures of your Ripple Effect. There must be some gardening photography contest you could enter your pictures in, especially the pip one.

Mctavish, thanks for posting your Rosedale Spoons. I saw it in a garden shot online about 4 years ago and have wanted one ever since. I bought Deep Pockets and that wasn't it. Then I bought Cup of Grace and that wasn't RS either. It doesn't seem to be available any more. No wonder I couldn't identify it. I checked 4 online nursery catalogues here in Ottawa and others in Canada and the States. I had no luck getting a good description as to size. I even came up empty at the Hosta Library. So, how old is your RS and where did you buy it?

• irawon
    11 years ago

So many lovely Regal Splendors posted and each one just a little different in respect to colour. The colour on mine is different once again. It would be interesting to know how much sun each of those RSs get. Mine gets just a little filtered sun.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Somebody, forgot to tell the slugs in my yard that Rhino Hide isn't tasty. I planted it late in 2010 and didn't do anything to deter pests in 2011 because I'd read that pests don't bother it. It fared better in 2012 but I have no picture. I'm puzzled that the new growth wasn't touched much.

RHINO HIDE on August 24, 2011

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

irawon , I saw on the internet a place in Ontario that sells the Rosedale spoon. It is called the Potting Shed in Dunnville, Ontario and sells for $18 if this is any help
    Faye

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Rare Breed - 1st year liner

rectifolia Chionea - 1st year

Red Hot Poker - has a double dose of Dorothy Benedict in it

Regal Chameleon - Krossa Regal sport - center greens later

Risky Business - Striptease sport

Roy Klehm - Summer Serenade sport

Paul

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Ira,

Looks like that Rhino Hide has both slug damage and Cutworm damage. The cutworm damage are the elongated holes in those leaves. That's the first RH I've seen like that. Congratulations! :~) You must have quite the pest population in that area of your garden.

Steve

BTW, Spinosad (it's organic) will help with the cutworms. You know what to do about the slugs.

• irawon
    11 years ago

That's a nice looking rectifolia, Paul. I really like them. Have you seen rectifolia 'Silver Star"? I guess neither of them would be registered as they're species, right? I was wondering if they were the same plant. They look a lot alike.

Thanks Faye, for the info. I will have a look at The Potting Shed.

Steve, I'm so glad that Spinosad is organic. I hope I can find it here. As you know we have a pesticide ban here in Ontario. I discovered cutworms last summer; they were really bad because it was so dry. Just can't win. If you keep things moist ,you've got the slug and earwig problem and if it's dry it's the cutworms.So if I can find the Spinosad, it will help.

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Ira,
    I've been to the Potting Shed. Great place, very knowledgeable about their hostas. Spent a small fortune there. Will definitely go back there this spring to see their 2013 collection.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Potting Shed (Hostas)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

This alphabet has me adding more to my list than I have room for. So many beautiful pics!
    Risky Business

Regal Splendor #1 in shade of lilac

Regal Splendor #2

Revolution year 2 small but made an interesting leaf

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

REMEMBER ME... for my friend Barb

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

irawon,

I love the round ones and went through several years of buying hostas for the shape alone.

My Rosedale Spoons was bought in 2008 from Sebright in Oregon. It has grown well for me in part day sun. It had the mature leaf look in 2011. The whole plant increased about 50% this year. I compare that to Lakeside Lollipop (also in part day sun) which I got in 2006. The Lakeside Lollipop should have been ahead but hasn't been in spite of the 2 year head start. It should also be a larger plant but this year was about half the size of Rosedale Spoons. Another wonderful round one is Nippers. I got this from Naylor last year but it is available in Canada from Hosta Choice. There is a picture of these two on the current alphabet thread.

I do like to compare so here are the supposed dimensions of the three. I'd say, get them all.

Rosedale Spoons --- 18 x 35 -- 6.5 x 6.25
    Lakeside Lollipop --- 20 x 43 -- 8 x 8
    Nippers --- 9 x 14 -- 3 x 3

• plantbug
    11 years ago

H RADIANT EDGER

H REGAL SPENDOR (removed from H REGAL SPLENDOR)

H REPTILLIAN

H RHASPODY

H RIPTIDE

H RIPTIDE STEMS

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Here's my Rich Uncle,which gets bigger leaves every year. I guess it's because of where it's planted,on the side of the hill below two huge Stripteases. Phil

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Surrounded by Honeybell at the left and City Lights tothe right,and many more. Phil

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Phil a pretty "risque" planting arrangement LOL( Rich Uncle and the girls)

This post was edited by almosthooked on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 21:56

• User
    11 years ago

Phil, every Rich Uncle likes to have a stripper on each arm, you know......how did I not see the R letter until 36 posts went by. You guys are jumping on it right away, aren't you.
    I have to try that Ruffed Up, it is gorgeous. And too, I cannot wait for my Royal Standards to try to take over the place. I have a nice spot picked out to set them in the ground even, backed up to some bananas and clumping bamboo for shade, they look so lush and actually tropical! I hope some of them reseed themselves and sweet fragrance wafts down the street from our garden.

Rainforest Sunrise

Red Dragon

Red October

Red Sox

Rhino Hide #1 (Rhino Blue and Rhino Hide OS were dormant)

See the photo of my Rawson order, including the Rhino Blue and Rhino Hide OS which arrived in October 2012.

Rich Uncle....one of my favorite golds...it keeps getting better all year long

Ringtail...cannot wait for it to have the blooms like the one shown above somewhere

Ripple Effect, taken in August

Rocket's Red Glare on the right in October

Rosedale Golden Goose...magnificent gold bonus

Royal Flush in October

Royal Standard, my first one of several, a standout

Ruffian...when Stuart Asch sent it, he said it might try to streak, and sure enough, it did

• irawon
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info , mctavish. Yup, Nippers is on my list... looks very refreshing.

Plantbug that's a lovely Radiant Edger you have. Please tell mine its supposed to get big like that or I'll have to send it to my mini bed.

• dg
    11 years ago

Red Alert. A quite nice bonus from a Sept. 2012 Hallson order.

Deb

• dg
    11 years ago

Rhino Hide 1st year 2012.

Deb

• dg
    11 years ago

Rockets Red Glare 1st year September 2012. It came slightly wrinkled in packaging and went on to bloom!

Deb