Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta Ruffled Edges 2013

Posted by ilovetogrow 9 Jax Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 5:23

The lights went out in our house last night. The wife said it was the fuse box and I needed to go fix it. She never does anything!
I swear I have absolutely no power.

As a group this past summer we had a long thread about Ruffled Edges. I had not really thought about them much before I got Neptune then my world changed. Seeing how Q is so limited my thinking is 2 alphabets would be better today. So post all your Ruffled Edges here. Don't care what letter or how many. Remember to also post on the same day as letter if that letter has not been done. Cat photos are ok too.

Riding the waves on Ruffled Leaves:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta Ruffled Edges 2013

'Arctic Blast'...new in 2013

o

'Dark Star'

o

'Flemish Sky'

o

'Marilyn Monroe'...in late September.

o

MM's flower scape close-up.

o

'Marrakech'

o

'Ripple Effect'

o

'Wheee!' And 'Ginsu Knife' new in 2013...have a few more but these will do:-)

o

Here are a couple from last year.

Marrakech
 photo Marrakech_zps1792d6cb.jpg

War Paint, one of my favourites come spring
 photo Warpaint003_zpsf941fb97.jpg

Dave

o

Ruffled and a nice white behind!

o

I missed Golden Meadows when we did "G". It's not very exciting, but just wait until spring. Hopefully it will be bigger and brighter.

o

"'Mirage' is an unregistered (as yet) plant from Ron Livingston. Ron describes the plant as 'Ginko Craig' x plantaginea x yingerii. It has fragrant white yingerii-like flowers. At the moment this is a unique trait." Copied from the hosta library. Here is my only picture from May.

o

Tiddisolo...I'm hoping my young Marrakech will grow as lovely as yours....the leaves obviously gain width with maturity. How old would yours be?

Beverly...what a gorgeous 'Mirage' you have there...so easy on the eyes, isn't it?
Edited to say I've been enabled by Beverly! :-)
Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 8:44

o

Jo,
If my memory serves me right Marrakech is coming up to its fourth spring. I'm hoping for a leap this year.
Here is a plant I would give my eye teeth for.

H. Flamenco Dancer.
 photo FlamencoDancer_zpsfc1d1938.jpg

Does anybody have any info on it. Can't remember where I found it or anything about it except WOW I want it.

Dave

o

Dave, I think that one isn't available yet. When the seed growers forum is up again (I think its getting some updates) you might want to ask over there; someone might know if its headed to production or auction.

Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with Flamenco Dancer pic

o

Manhattan

o

I adore the ruffles. MUST get Neptune and Marilyn Monroe in 2014. The ruffled ones I have are still babies so I hope they ruffle-up a lot more this season as they mature.

Queen of the Seas up close

o

A baby Wheee!

o

Ripple Effect

o

Here's one that's new to me.

High Kicker

o

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 12:05

Bridal Falls

H. 'Bridal Falls' - 05112013 - NAY

Bridegroom

P5300083

Cranberry Wine

H. 'Cranberry Wine' - 08172013 - NAY (2)

Curly Fries

P8310069

Dancing Queen

H. 'Dancing Queen' - 05302013 - HALL

Electrocution

P8170015

Emerald Ruff Cut

H. 'Emerald Ruff Cut' - 09012013 - HALL

Flamenco Mouse

P8170007

Fluted Fountain

H. 'Fluted Fountain' - 06212013 - NAY (3)

Frisian Pride

H. 'Frisian Pride' - 05032013 - NAY (2)

Frisian Waving Steel

H. 'Frisian Waving Steel' - 05302013 - NAY

Gone with the Wind

H. 'Gone with the Wind' - 07282013 - HALL

Goodness Gracious

H. 'Goodness Gracious' - 09012013 - HALL

Grand Canyon

H. 'Grand Canyon' - 05302013 - HALL

Irish Luck

H. 'Irish Luck' - 06212013 - NAY (1)

Ripple Effect

H. 'Ripple Effect' - 08172013 - HALL

Satisfaction

H. 'Satisfaction' - 09012013 - HALL

Sea Gulf Stream

H. 'Sea Gulf Stream' - 04242013 - NAY (1)

Spartacus

H. 'Spartacus' - 09012013 - HALL (2)

o

Spartacus - though "Ees nobbut a bairn!"

o

Restless Sea

o

Clovelly

o

Bridegroom

Bridegroom photo hostarollcallJuly2013082_zps32b0c9c6.jpg

Candy Dish
Candy Dish photo hostarollcallJuly2013007_zpsd2fa55c3.jpg

Cutting Edge
Cutting Edge photo hostarollcallJuly2013035_zpsaf239872.jpg

Dragon Tails
Dragon Tails photo hostarollcallJuly2013042_zps9864ad54.jpg

Emerald Ruff Cut
Emerald Ruff Cut photo hostarollcallJuly2013037_zps2e1cef23.jpg

Grecian Vase

Grecian Vase photo hostarollcallJuly2013003_zpsff86f80f.jpg

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls photo hostas-cottage2013013_zpsf71e7f4e.jpg

Satisfaction
Satisfaction photo hostas-cottage2013005_zps85046403.jpg

Spartan Arrow

Spartan Arrow photo hostas-cottage2013010_zps7b6676c3.jpg

o

Stag's Leap.

This post was edited by steve_mass on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 19:14

o

This is Pineapple Poll,the forerunner of Pineapple Upside down cake. When I bought what I thought was a twofer of PUDC,this plant emerged. Even though I planted the two of together to get a bigger plant,either PUDC reverted to Pineapple Poll,or there always one of each. At any rate,I ended up with two different plants. Phil

photo DSC_0033_zps25026877.jpg

o

And,of course Queen of the Seas. Phil

photo 2012-04-27031744PM.jpg

o

'Gone With the Wind' is a hosta I'm very excited to see mature. Look at those ruffles on only a third-year plant. : )

Don B.

P.S. Hi there, Ludi! You had to have seen my plant when you hand-picked yours from Hallson Gardens. Why, you may have even touched it as you perused HG's specimens. Small hosta world.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 1:52

o

Tiddisolo...you are right...Flamenco Dancer is to die for! Wow!

There you are, Ludi! That leaf shot of Bridal Falls is quite beautiful...I really like the look of Frisian Pride and Sea Gulf Stream - must be that pristine shot of gold! Your Emerald Ruff Cut, which is on my want list, has the most markings or colour variations I have seen so far...stunning.

Don, that is one ginormous leaf on your Gone with the Wind - it's really going to be a knock- out when it comes into its own! Wow.

All these ruffled specimens are simply beautiful in my eyes...it's not just hosta withdrawal I'm suffering from....they truly are!

o

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 11:03

Hi Don !

You know, I may very well have left a fingerprint or two on yours, but honestly I can’t remember as that entire trip was a sensory overload. The best kind of overload, but still, too much to take in during a 24 hour visit.

I generally try not to be biased towards a hybridizer or name of a hosta. I prefer to stay neutral and let the plant itself do all the work of charming me. I think the only exception to this are Kathie Sisson hybrids. I will snatch one of hers up quicker than you can pick a tick off your ankle in June. Also, Chris Wilson’s introductions tend to land high on my Wishlist, go figure. But when it came to Gone with the Wind, the plant charmed me without ever knowing what it was or who made it.

I agree Don, this is one I will wait very patiently to see mature. I am planning on giving her a wide girth since I suspect she will be a rather large specimen in the end. We both know that Olga loves to create giants. :)

Miss Jo !

So nice to have you back from your trip. Your enthusiasm, appreciation, and support are always in good favor.

Emerald Ruff Cut was one I added to my collection this year, so I have limited exposure, thus far.

It grew fine for me without any hiccups. My only complaint was that it took a fair amount of the growing season for those edges to darken in. The leaves start off very pale when it first emerges and slowly the dark green begins to show up. The margins are present throughout the entire season but blend into the middle during the earlier part.

The picture I posted above was taken on 9/1/2013.

I plan to put him in some more sunlight next year to see if that doesn’t ‘bake’ the darker green in sooner. ::fingers crossed::

Thank you both, as always, for your kind words. :)

Ludi

o

I have had little attraction to the ruffled group. Until I read through this thread. Great pictures gang. I'm sure I could find a spot for a nice, big, green rippled-leaf hosta.

Maybe Queen of the Seas or Candy Dish or Niagara Falls or Manhattan or Clovelly. Which one is the biggest?

Self control, self control....

o

Curly Fries was a "2 for $$" in 2011 from Bob Solberg. Here it is in June 2013, both hosta in one pot.
Garden13Jun0777

Marilyn Monroe and Pineapple Upsidedown Cake in one shot in July 2013. PUDC had bleached leaves due to the bright sun.
DSCN9376

London Fog, streaked/misted in July 2013
2013-07-02_16-34-08_340

Fragrant King
DSCN9070

LS Full Tide
Garden13May681

Manhattan in July 2013....I have great hopes for this beauty.
2013-07-01_18-34-42_433

o

THIS - IS - 'SPARTACUS'!!

(a fine ruffled cultivar with a fast growth rate. Bold green and gold/yellow colors hold up better than most hostas in all-morning sun).

Don B.

o

'Spring Fling'.

Don B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here