Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Ruffled Edges 2013

The lights went out in our house last night. The wife said it was the fuse box and I needed to go fix it. She never does anything!
I swear I have absolutely no power.

As a group this past summer we had a long thread about Ruffled Edges. I had not really thought about them much before I got Neptune then my world changed. Seeing how Q is so limited my thinking is 2 alphabets would be better today. So post all your Ruffled Edges here. Don't care what letter or how many. Remember to also post on the same day as letter if that letter has not been done. Cat photos are ok too.

Riding the waves on Ruffled Leaves:

Comments (35)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

'Arctic Blast'...new in 2013

10 years ago

'Dark Star'

10 years ago

'Flemish Sky'

10 years ago

'Marilyn Monroe'...in late September.

10 years ago

MM's flower scape close-up.

10 years ago

'Marrakech'

10 years ago

'Ripple Effect'

10 years ago

'Wheee!' And 'Ginsu Knife' new in 2013...have a few more but these will do:-)

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    10 years ago

Here are a couple from last year.

Marrakech

War Paint, one of my favourites come spring

Dave

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Ruffled and a nice white behind!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

I missed Golden Meadows when we did "G". It's not very exciting, but just wait until spring. Hopefully it will be bigger and brighter.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

"'Mirage' is an unregistered (as yet) plant from Ron Livingston. Ron describes the plant as 'Ginko Craig' x plantaginea x yingerii. It has fragrant white yingerii-like flowers. At the moment this is a unique trait." Copied from the hosta library. Here is my only picture from May.

10 years ago

Tiddisolo...I'm hoping my young Marrakech will grow as lovely as yours....the leaves obviously gain width with maturity. How old would yours be?

Beverly...what a gorgeous 'Mirage' you have there...so easy on the eyes, isn't it?
    Edited to say I've been enabled by Beverly! :-)
    Jo

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 8:44

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    10 years ago

Jo,
    If my memory serves me right Marrakech is coming up to its fourth spring. I'm hoping for a leap this year.
    Here is a plant I would give my eye teeth for.

H. Flamenco Dancer.

Does anybody have any info on it. Can't remember where I found it or anything about it except WOW I want it.

Dave

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Dave, I think that one isn't available yet. When the seed growers forum is up again (I think its getting some updates) you might want to ask over there; someone might know if its headed to production or auction.

Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with Flamenco Dancer pic

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Manhattan

• hostanista
    10 years ago

I adore the ruffles. MUST get Neptune and Marilyn Monroe in 2014. The ruffled ones I have are still babies so I hope they ruffle-up a lot more this season as they mature.

Queen of the Seas up close

• hostanista
    10 years ago

A baby Wheee!

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Ripple Effect

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Here's one that's new to me.

High Kicker

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Bridal Falls

Bridegroom

Cranberry Wine

Curly Fries

Dancing Queen

Electrocution

Emerald Ruff Cut

Flamenco Mouse

Fluted Fountain

Frisian Pride

Frisian Waving Steel

Gone with the Wind

Goodness Gracious

Grand Canyon

Irish Luck

Ripple Effect

Satisfaction

Sea Gulf Stream

Spartacus

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    10 years ago

Spartacus - though "Ees nobbut a bairn!"

10 years ago

Restless Sea

10 years ago

Clovelly

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Bridegroom

Candy Dish

Cutting Edge

Dragon Tails

Emerald Ruff Cut

Grecian Vase

Niagara Falls

Satisfaction

Spartan Arrow

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Stag's Leap.

This post was edited by steve_mass on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 19:14

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

This is Pineapple Poll,the forerunner of Pineapple Upside down cake. When I bought what I thought was a twofer of PUDC,this plant emerged. Even though I planted the two of together to get a bigger plant,either PUDC reverted to Pineapple Poll,or there always one of each. At any rate,I ended up with two different plants. Phil

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

And,of course Queen of the Seas. Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Gone With the Wind' is a hosta I'm very excited to see mature. Look at those ruffles on only a third-year plant. : )

Don B.

P.S. Hi there, Ludi! You had to have seen my plant when you hand-picked yours from Hallson Gardens. Why, you may have even touched it as you perused HG's specimens. Small hosta world.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 1:52

10 years ago

Tiddisolo...you are right...Flamenco Dancer is to die for! Wow!

There you are, Ludi! That leaf shot of Bridal Falls is quite beautiful...I really like the look of Frisian Pride and Sea Gulf Stream - must be that pristine shot of gold! Your Emerald Ruff Cut, which is on my want list, has the most markings or colour variations I have seen so far...stunning.

Don, that is one ginormous leaf on your Gone with the Wind - it's really going to be a knock- out when it comes into its own! Wow.

All these ruffled specimens are simply beautiful in my eyes...it's not just hosta withdrawal I'm suffering from....they truly are!

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Hi Don !

You know, I may very well have left a fingerprint or two on yours, but honestly I canâÂÂt remember as that entire trip was a sensory overload. The best kind of overload, but still, too much to take in during a 24 hour visit.

I generally try not to be biased towards a hybridizer or name of a hosta. I prefer to stay neutral and let the plant itself do all the work of charming me. I think the only exception to this are Kathie Sisson hybrids. I will snatch one of hers up quicker than you can pick a tick off your ankle in June. Also, Chris WilsonâÂÂs introductions tend to land high on my Wishlist, go figure. But when it came to Gone with the Wind, the plant charmed me without ever knowing what it was or who made it.

I agree Don, this is one I will wait very patiently to see mature. I am planning on giving her a wide girth since I suspect she will be a rather large specimen in the end. We both know that Olga loves to create giants. :)

Miss Jo !

So nice to have you back from your trip. Your enthusiasm, appreciation, and support are always in good favor.

Emerald Ruff Cut was one I added to my collection this year, so I have limited exposure, thus far.

It grew fine for me without any hiccups. My only complaint was that it took a fair amount of the growing season for those edges to darken in. The leaves start off very pale when it first emerges and slowly the dark green begins to show up. The margins are present throughout the entire season but blend into the middle during the earlier part.

The picture I posted above was taken on 9/1/2013.

I plan to put him in some more sunlight next year to see if that doesnâÂÂt âÂÂbakeâ the darker green in sooner. ::fingers crossed::

Thank you both, as always, for your kind words. :)

Ludi

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

I have had little attraction to the ruffled group. Until I read through this thread. Great pictures gang. I'm sure I could find a spot for a nice, big, green rippled-leaf hosta.

Maybe Queen of the Seas or Candy Dish or Niagara Falls or Manhattan or Clovelly. Which one is the biggest?

Self control, self control....

• User
    10 years ago

Curly Fries was a "2 for $$" in 2011 from Bob Solberg. Here it is in June 2013, both hosta in one pot.

Marilyn Monroe and Pineapple Upsidedown Cake in one shot in July 2013. PUDC had bleached leaves due to the bright sun.

London Fog, streaked/misted in July 2013

Fragrant King

LS Full Tide

Manhattan in July 2013....I have great hopes for this beauty.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

THIS - IS - 'SPARTACUS'!!

(a fine ruffled cultivar with a fast growth rate. Bold green and gold/yellow colors hold up better than most hostas in all-morning sun).

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Spring Fling'.

Don B.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!