Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta W 2012

Your first job is to prepare the soil. The best tool for this is your neighbor's garden tiller. If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one. - by Dave Barry

Wanting to see your Ws!

Comments (49)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Just one. Wheaton Blue.

Steve

• Cher
    11 years ago

Taken early May. This is all the photos I managed to get last year.
    Cher

White Ray

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

What happened to the Vs?

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Hosta 'Whirlwind' on July 11. Bernd

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Hosta 'Wolverine'.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Hosta 'Wide Brim'.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG you are right. OK stop here and I will post the Vs LOL Sometimes I am out to lunch and this was one of them. Paula

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Wolverine

Karen

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

War Paint

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

whirlwind

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Wide Brim If I could figure out how to send all at once I wouldn't have to bore you all with lots of posts.. sorry

• dg
    11 years ago

Woodland Elf, so tiny I kept it in the little pot it came in.

Deb

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Wolverine

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Wide Brim Leaf Shot

• hostanista
    11 years ago

White Feather

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Wide Brim

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Winter Snow ( finally the last of my pictures but not all my W's)

This post was edited by almosthooked on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 21:15

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Wide Brim leaf detail

{{!gwi}}

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Let's try that again - Wide Brim leaf detail. Don't know why the first attempt failed to show pic.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Technically, it's a NOID, but I'm pretty sure this is Wheee! I found it at Menards in July 2010, the year before Wheee was introduced. I'd never seen anything like it, liked the ripples, and took it home. I guess someone at the nursery sent out the wrong pot. I thought it looked pretty interesting then, but LOVED the way it looks coming up.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

MadPlanter that is a beautiful picture and now I want to take more pictures of the plants that emerge from their winter rest. Again that is outstanding!
    Faye

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

Almosthooked; nobody's bored with your pics. If you can only send them one at a time, no problem. I highly doubt it's bothering any of us. :)

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Another Wide Brim with Fortunei Aureomarginata

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

Hosta Wonderland

Hosta White Bikini

Hosta Wolverine

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

MadPlanter, I'm wondering if you have a unique sport of your own. Your very good picture shows the margin as white. The new plant I got last year was creamy yellow on the margin lasting until late Sept. when it was basically white. A beautiful plant whatever it is.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

War Paint - 2nd year, Niagara Falls sport - kept its colors pretty well last year - which was unexpected.

Warwick Comet - had a good year last year after a move

Waving Winds - Galaxy selfed

Woolly Mammoth - Blue Mammoth sport, It was not happy after moving it a year earlier.

Wylde Green Cream - Vanilla Cream sport

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

Some beauties here! Thank you so much for that Wheee! Mine was up when it arrived, so I missed the delightful twistings. Maybe it will redeem itself in my eyes in the next couple of weeks. Yeah, I have some poking up, which are leafing out.
    More on that later.

Warwick Essence, shown near dormant in a tub with two other fragrant hosta

Wheee! arrived in May

and Wheee later in the year:

Whirlwind
    in May

Whirlwind in August

White Dove, a lovely smaller hosta which keeps its white margins shown first day of summer in June

and in August too, with Little Jay...3 in one pot from one nursery (Mason Hollow) and 2 separately potted (Green Mt)

White Elephant

White Knight--A fine fragrant hosta, I won't embarrass him with a dormant picture. But WAIT for this big boy to grow!
    Same with Wide Brim, another new one.

Winter Snow...had no idea it was related to S&S, she is a really fine chartreuse girl who lights up the shaded flower bed when a beam of light strikes her. "Brighten the corner where you are."

Woop Woop

and that's all folks.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Nothing that hasn't already been shown.........

'Whirlwind'

'Wide Brim'

'Wolverine'

'Winter Snow' newly planted and not yet settled in.

and 'Wheee!', another late fall plant, photographed just for the record.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

H Willy Nilly

H Winning Edge

H Wolverine

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

Sadly, I have under appreciated this hosta---probably due to the fact that I have had it for a long time, and at a time when I was not that interested in hosta. So this was one of two divisions I took one year. My original Wide Brim is now almost covered by a maturing corkscrew hazel. This year I am determined to remedy this situation so I can see how pretty this hosta is.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

'W' is for "WOW" there are some fantastic varieties on this thread! The variegation on 'Wonderland' is beautiful; I must acquire 'Warpaint'....So many others...beauty overload...

Don B.
    Westminster, CO.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are the Southern Cousins:

• irawon
    11 years ago

I used 3 Wolverines to fill in the space lining a path while waiting for Guacamole to fill in. Boy have they grown quickly during the four years in this location

Three WOLVERINES on May 22, 2012

This post was edited by irawon on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 12:57

• irawon
    11 years ago

WHISKY SOUR (one year old) on May 26, 2012

• irawon
    11 years ago

I bought White Elephant in 2011. I hope mine develops the upright habit of mctavish's. It seemed to withstand the onslaught of cutworms in this bed.

WHITE ELEPHANT on August 2, 2012.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Bernd, thanks for the lovely picture of Whirlwind in bloom. I have never seen mine flower. I bought mine in 2009. How much sun does yours get?

I like the look of everyone's War Paint. I'm hoping it's not a giant.

• irawon
    11 years ago

I'm hoping someone has a better picture of Winsome ( bottom left and not the center of attention) to post. This tough little hosta has the same variegation as Wide Brim but is shorter and takes up less space.

WINSOME ( 5years old ) on June 10, 2012

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

irawon, my H.'Whirlwind' is at the Northeast corner of the house, only gets early morning and very late afternoon sun. In too much sun it became all green.
    I also notice quite a difference between the various hostas 'Wide Brim' and 'Wolverine' shown.
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 12:24

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

I noticed the differences too Bernd. Our wide brim is about 20 years old. Probably not a tissue culture, but a division. I has been moved recently which set it back a bit but is doing quite well in almost full sun with some timely late afternoon dappled shade. I wonder if tissue culture plants are more identical than divisions.

Beverly

• User
    11 years ago

Irawon, that Winsome is well named, and boy is it BLUE. I suppose my favorites tend to be the medium-sized hosta anyway, since space is a factor in choosing more hosta with less of a spread. Although, it is hard to pass over a great one like Sagae...but Winsome is worth investigating. As for White Elephant, and other highly whitened hosta, they just do not thrive for me. Yours and Myrle's are outstanding though.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Moccasin, the blue is Blue Jay. Winsome is the green with the gold margin just peaking in on the left.

Bernd, I was thinking that my Whirlwind wasn't getting enough sun, so your comment that too much sun turns it all green is very helpful. I like the almost white center and the flowers are very pretty too.

I was struck by the variability of Wolverine too. The blueness may just be due to the date on which the picture was taken and sun exposure. The width of the leaf increases with age as does the thickness of the wax coating, which renders the leaf more blue.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, Faye. I have to do my pictures one at a time, too. One of these days I'll have to find a new website. webshots closed, and Shutterfly doesn't let you link to photos. (sigh).

Here's a mug shot of the possible Wheee! from when I bought it. The margins come and go. In 2011, it barely had any white at all. In 2012, the margins were back. I understand that's normal for Wheee! They're never yellow, just creamy white in spring.

I'll have to admit I had hopes of discovering a new sport when I got it, but I'll settle for a cheap Wheee!

• User
    11 years ago

Jan, I cannot wait for your Winter Snow to knock your socks off. You will love what you see, and it grows quickly.

Who cares if anyone posts only one photo per entry....that makes it easier to find a particular hosta because Google bots index GardenWeb within an hour of a post being offered up.
    I'm really loving the way the new GardenWeb format makes the green/blue hosta appear.

And, thanks to the other Wheee! posted, I know that mine is not a deviant lifeform, it is just young. I'll give it a couple of years, but meanwhile this spring, I'll be documenting its every move. Several of mine are poking noses already, and the 5 days of rain we have (3 more to go) should either help or wreak havoc with the potted hosta.

• User
    11 years ago

MadPlanter, I was on Webshots also. The other day, I discovered that some of the really great photographers from WS are now in a group on Flickr.com.......you might like to check them out.....just search Flickr using Webshots and see what you find.

I use Flickr. I tried Photobucket, but it was not as intuitive to me.

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

Wide Brim

• hostamanphil
    11 years ago

Winter Lightning

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

Wolverine,in early spring. This plant always comes up early in March. Phil

{{gwi:930350}}

• garden_crazy
    11 years ago

My only W not already shown here....

• irawon
    11 years ago

G C, that's a very pretty White Christmas. I understand it's difficult to grow, so I haven't bought one. Any advice for growing this one?