Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosta S 2012

Posted by ilovetogrow 9 Jax FL (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 6:09

I don't like formal gardens. I like wild nature. It's just the wilderness instinct in me, I guess. ~Walt Disney

Superbowl of the Ss! Show 'em!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosta S 2012

Photos taken early May.
Cher

Photobucket
Striptease

Photobucket
Sugar and Spice

o

H. 'Saint Paul'. Immature as most of mine are.

Don B.

o

Just in case you forgot what your 'Sentimental Journey' looked like when it was a second-year plant, here you are!

Don B.
King of the Baby Hosta

o

Sum & Substance

o

Hosta 'Summer Breeze'. Bernd

o

Everyone has lots of S Hostas. No exception here.

Silver Bay
Sliver Bay yr 2 photo SilverBayyr220120614-1.jpg

Satisfaction
Satisfaction photo Satisfactionyr220120529.jpg

So Sweet
So Sweet yr 2 photo SoSweetyr220120617.jpg

Sea Gulf Stream
Sea Gulf Stream photo SeaGulfStreamyr220120529.jpg

Shade Fanfare
Shade Fanfare yr2 photo ShadeFanfareyr220120529.jpg

Stingray
Stingray yr2 photo Stingrayyr220120614.jpg

Stingray flower bract
Stingray flower bract photo Stingraybract_zps5689f67d.jpg

Stained Glass
Stained Glass yr2 photo StainedGlassyr220120529.jpg

Seducer (new plant)
Seducer photo Seduceryr120120614_zpsaa08b73e.jpg

Sagae
Sagae yr 2 close photo Sagaeyr2closeup_zps0704007a.jpg

Spilt Milk
Spilt Milk yr 2 photo SpiltMilkyr2_zps8beab2ad.jpg

Sea Blue Monster
Sea Blue Monster close photo SBMcloseryr120120529_zpsc316f242.jpg

Silver Threads and Golden Needles
Silver Threads and Golden Needles yr 2 photo STampGNyr220120529_zpsd202e5b2.jpg

St Paul
St. Paul yr 2 photo StPaulyr220120529_zps8965f643.jpg

Squash Casserole
Squash Casserole yr 2 photo SquashCasseroleyr220120529_zps83305990.jpg

St Elmo's Fire
St. Elmo's Fire yr 1 photo StElmosFireyr120120529_zpsce67118d.jpg

Sum and Substance (3rd year)
Sum and Substance yr 3 photo SampSyr320120529_zpseff2c169.jpg

Sweet Innocence
Sweet Innocence photo SweetInnocenceyr220120529_zps0fdc4c3d.jpg

Steve

o

Striptease
Photobucket

Stained Glass
Photobucket

Sharmon
Photobucket

Spilt Milk
Photobucket

Secret Ambition
Photobucket

o

Hosta 'Sum of All'.

o

Hosta 'Summer Breeze'. Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 8:21

o

Another Hosta 'Sum and Substance'.

o

Hello back with more. This is going to be one heavy thread. Updating wish list again, lol! Paula

Photobucket

Stained Glass

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Little plant BIG name LOL
Photobucket

o

Hosta 'Sea Thunder'.

o

I am in awe of all of you. Just wanted to let you know. Awesome plants so far.

So Sweet should be placed on everyone's buy list. What a darling plant and lasted late into the season. So Sweet was so correctly named.

o

Two more. Phil
Stitch in Time.It started to look good until I removed an eye from it and has since dwindled to almost gone.

Stitch in Time

Swirls
Swirls

o

Steve, if you have any more pics of 'Stingray', please, by all means, show them off! I finally ordered one and am anticipating it probably more than any other!

It's just a fantastic hosta; one of the coolest ever IMO.

Don B.
Envious of Steve's 'Stingray'
Westminster, CO.

o

Savannah Supreme

Savannah Supreme 4-17-12 photo SavannahSupreme4-17-12.jpg

Sergent Pepper (in autumn)

Sergeant Pepper 10-15-12 photo hostaSeargentPepper10-15-12.jpg

This alphabet picture game makes me wish I had taken more pictures of my hostas last year. I certainly have a lot more hostas than the few pictures I'm posting.

Karen

o

Stained Glass

Stained Glass photo 006-6_zps5f95df20.jpg

Sum and Substance on the right BA on the left.

photo 005-3_zpse572a09f-1.jpg

Sage bottom left planted in 11.

photo 029-1.jpg

Sun Power

Sun Power photo 002-3_zps880576b5.jpg

Summer Lovin in the back left. Bad picture, but only one I could find. Can't find any solo pictures of it.

photo 006-4_zpsdc198497.jpg

Edit found a little better picture

photo 030-1_zpsbb0fc3a2.jpg

This post was edited by ogrefcf on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 10:01

o

Sum & Substance 2012 photo 100_3878.jpg
Sum & Substance unfurling...not sure if this was before or after the move.

Sagae 2012 photo 100_3928.jpg
Sagae..looking forward to what this one does this year. It was bleached out by too much sun after the loss of the tree that was shading this bed.

Sunpower 2012 photo 100_3920.jpg
Sunpower in the full hot sun.

Sharmon 2012 photo 100_3916.jpg
Sharmon looking pretty before it loses all its interest.

o

Looks like an infestation of garden gnomes in Utah.

Don, Here's a picture of a mature Stingray (my favorite also) taken by Paul on a garden tour. It's from the Larsen garden.
 photo StingrayLarsen2010.png

Notice how this gardener has underplanted this Stingray with smaller Hosta. Mine is only two years old. It does get big.

Steve

o

So many lovely pictures of Stained Glass. I hope mine is as nice one day.

One of my favorite hostas that I would really miss is Sun Power. I like it best first thing in spring when it shows its upright habit best. My clump gets looser after that and is a good barometer as to when my hostas require more water. It never gets a deep gold colour as I have it planted in minimal dappled sun.

I had to have this hosta once I saw it online in Papou's garden. Really miss that guy.

H. SUN POWER (year 4) on June 18, 2012

o

Samurai - Frances Williams sport
Hosta 'Samurai'

Sea Octopus - 2nd year
Hosta 'Sea Octopus'

Simply Sharon - 2nd year liner
Hosta 'Simply Sharon'

Sitting Pretty - 1st year
Hosta 'Sitting Pretty'

Spring Fling - 'Christmas Tree' x 'Donahue's Piecrust'
Hosta 'Spring Fling'

Stand By Me - 2nd yr, June sport
Hosta 'Stand By Me'

Paul

o

Steve, I love your shot of St. Elmo's Fire on the rocks. I plan on buying it one day.Thanks also for posting a picture of Silver Bay. I was disappointed in the colour of mine this summer. The blue didn't look as vibrant as yours. Only its first year, so I'm hoping the blue will be more intense next summer.

Bernd, that's a great picture of Summer Breeze. Mine isn't as mature as yours and the pic is a bit fuzzy. I'm glad I bought it because it seems to be doing alright under our crimson maple.

H. SUMMER BREEZE (year one) on June 18, 2012

This post was edited by irawon on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 12:05

o

Phil, sorry to hear that your Stitch in Time is suffering. Rather expensive isn't it. I settled for Mango Tango.

Here's a picture of Spinach Souffle, which I bought in 2011 on the recommendation of Chris at Hallson's. Since I'm Canadian I couldn't buy it from him or I would have. I'm forever grateful for his generous advice.

I'm hoping someone will post a picture of a more mature plant.

H. SPINACH SOUFFLE (year 1)

This post was edited by irawon on Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 12:11

o

Lots of S hostas. I'm enjoying everyones pictures. Phil, you make me want to give Stitch in Time another try. Mine fizzled very quickly.

This is a very nice little round one.
Shade Parade 6-22-12 (103)

The explaination for this is that it was labeled Abiqua Drinking Gourd when I bought it in 2000. After I don't know how many years of 'willing' it to
cup and be the right plant, I finally admitted it was wrong. In spite of that it's a very pretty, large blue plant which I've called Sky.
Sky 6-7-12 (57)

Stetson 7-17-12 (102)
Sky Dancer 2 5-26-12 b (90)

Spritzer 1 7-13-12 (124)

Smoke Signals 6-4-12 (14)

Sugar and Cream 6-22-12 (22)

Sugar and Spice 6-19-12 (114)

This one really caught my eye this year. It can look so different in sun to shade and what wonderful fall color.
Sea Beacon 8-24-12 (31)

Sea Beacon 10-10-12 (39)

o

"S" is certainly a popular letter among hosta namers! I seem to have several, sadly not anything new I fear.
Shouldn't have slept in this morning!
Jan

'Sagae' - just love this guy and can't wait to see how he likes that old barrel this springl

H.'Sagae' photo june62012069.jpg

'Silver Star' - really thick substance on the early leaves - don't know if that is typical or a reaction to location/weather....

H.'Silver Star' photo june62012001.jpg

'Summer Breeze' I think this one is going to be a favourite.

H. 'Summer Breeze' Sept. 2012 photo cottagegardensfall2012009.jpg

'Satisfaction'H. 'Satisfaction' photo mostlycottage2012025.jpg

'Sun Power'H.'Sun Power' photo june62012055.jpg

'Sharp Dressed Man'
H. 'Sharp Dressed Man' Oct1/12 photo 019.jpg

'So Sweet'

H. 'So Sweet' Oct1/12 photo 023.jpg

And yet another 'Sum and Substance'

gardenAugust32012005 photo gardenAugust32012005.jpg

o

Photobucket
H SEA DREAM

Photobucket
H SPINACH SOUFFLE

Photobucket
H SPRITZER BLOOMS

o

Mctavish, Sky Prancer and Smoke Signals are on my radar. Yours look beautiful.

Ogre, how old is your Sum and Substance? I like it with Blue Angel. And I like the little angel in between. How old is he? I didn't want to devote as much garden space as S&S would require, so I bought Small Sum. I may have to put it in more sun. Does anyone have experience with this hosta?

H. SMALL SUM (year 2) on June 10, 2012

o

Plantbug, that's an awesome Spinach Souffle. I took another look at my picture of Luna Moth and they look very similar to me. I checked Zilis and he doesn't say they are similar, so maybe the width of the margin may be different. Do you have both?

Jan, your Sagae looks great with the grasses. What is the grass to its right? Also is that carex 'Ice Dance' with Summer Breeze? I lost mine. Any advice on growing it? I'd like to try again.

Here's another Satisfaction, which I planted in a new bed in 2011.

H. SATISFACTION (one year old) on June 18, 2012

o

Summer music

o

All the ones I seem to find have been already posted but what the heck here is no 1st year striptease (2012)

o

leaf of my stained glass

o

Spring Fling was planted fall of 2011 , came up in spring with 8 pips and july decided to pop up lots of new growth so should be great 2013 if this is a sign

o

irawon - the grass beside 'Summer Breeze' was just labelled "Japanese Sedge". I just bought it last summer but it really took off and appears as though it could be invasive given a chance. The grass beside 'Sagae' is Northern Sea Oats, one of my very favourites. The seed heads are very elegant and look great dried in vases all over my house in winter. Given a chance I think it too could happiy seed itself around a bit, and the seedlings tend to be deep rooted and difficult to pull out, so I usually cut it back before the seeds start to drop in fall.
Jan

o

Thanks for the info, Jan.

Almost, your hostas are really taking off! Nice plants.

Paul I came across a picture of your St Paul that you posted in 2010. It's doing really well here. Here's mine in year five, and still growing despite the tree roots. I keep missing a shot with the margin a blue colour. I hope the blue doesn't disappear with age.

o

Awesome photos of well grown hosta. My new plants sometimes look okay, but submitted for documentation purposes mainly.
I cannot wait for mine to show as well as yours.

Note: I suggest hosta namers look at another letter besides "S." Something like I, J, N, O, Q, X, Y, Z. :)

Sagae -- ordered 2, got 3 big eyes which I stuck in one big pot separately, sharing the frame with a really dark rough Stiff Upper Lip
Hosta12Aug223

Sam Spade in June
Hosta 'Sam Spade'

Satisfaction was my first NOID
??

Satisfaction, the for-sure hosta, but 2 years younger than the first one (which I bought in May 2010)
The real Hosta 'Satisfaction' very young

Scallion Pancakes has burn around the margins
Hosta12Apr312

Second Wind in June
H. 'Second Wind'

Secret Love shown with another sport of Fragrant Blue
Hosta12Aug388

Seducer, very large leaves, very tall petioles, took a while to adjust to our heat in zone 9a
Hosta12July339

Sentimental Journey...big loose leaves
Hosta 'Sentimental Journey'

Short Fat Fanny
Hosta 'Short Fat Fanny'

Silver Bay newly arrived
Hosta12Aug298

Silver Threads Golden Needles and Snow Mouse on far side of this bowl of smaller hosta
Hosta12Aug099

Sky Dancer stands out in a crowd
Hosta12Aug100

Smooth Sailing definitely a favorite
Hosta12Aug272

So Sweet in November
Hosta12Nov090

Sparkler in the shadows of Maui Buttercups
Hosta12Aug108

Spinach Souffle
Hosta12June373

Spring Break in June ready to bloom.
Hosta 'Spring Break' ready to bloom

Squash Casserole in August
Hosta12Aug032

Stained Glass #1 never went dormant last winter and looked like this in February 2012
Hosta12Feb010

Stained Glass this photo shows the one I bought thinking #1 would croak on me, but after May or June it finally went dormant for a brief period, and came back like gang busters to bloom late in the year. Here I show #1 and #2 together.
Hosta12July346

Steffi
Hosta12Aug360

Stephen King has red petioles
Hosta 'Stephen King'

Stiff Upper Lip is a tough guy with a nice white back, and the cupping increased as summer progressed.
Hosta12July108

Stitch In Time if this one melts away, it won't be replaced
Not showing me much
Hosta12July407

Sugar And Cream in bloom in the shade too
Hosta12Aug022

Sugar Babe...Bob Solberg says this is the smallest of the fragrant hosta. Very sweet scent
H. 'Sugar Babe'

Sugar Daddy...bought one, decided to pot the 2 eyes separately and locate in different conditions. Too early to see any differences
Hosta12Aug424

Sugar Plum...chose this photo to reveal the purple petioles
Hosta12Aug034

Sum And Substance....I think this guy (a 5/2010 plant) is going in the ground before springtime 2013
Hosta12Aug337

Summer Breeze
Hosta12Aug175

Summer Fragrance
H. 'Summer fragrance'

Summer Music not in his pot yet
Hosta12Aug045

Sun Power in July
Hosta12July415

Sunny Disposition
Hosta12Aug143

Sweet Bo Peep came as a half-pint in spring
Hosta12July270

Sweet Innocence is a creamy luscious hosta
Hosta12Aug140

Sweet Standard, a fragrant streaker
Hosta12Aug261

Sweet Sunshine had a hard summer from the drought, but boy what a root system when he arrived!
Hosta12Aug493

Sweet Tater Pie
Hosta12Sep043

Some in my late season orders arrived dormant including Sweet Marjorie, Sweet Susan, and Sweetie.

o

A young Sky Dancer, it's 1 year with me Sept. 2012.

o

2nd year Sagae. Looked pretty until we got 4 hail storms!

Deb

o

Moccasin, I'm like you and can't wait to see some of my hostas grow up. I wish bigger plants were available in my neck of the woods as I'm getting up there in age. I don't want my hostas to plant me. I digress and I am supposed to be researching a new washer and dryer BUT before I go I want to show you SUNLIGHT CHILD, which I bought in 2011. I love the fact that the flower scapes are in good proportion to the plant.

SUNLIGHT CHILD, right after planting.

o

2nd year Stained Glass in bloom.

Deb

o

Talk about the best of plans, here's SUNLIGHT CHILD. My Waterfall Maple grew right over it. So what did I do? I trimmed my Waterfall of course...didn't take a picture though.

o

Oh my oh my, Irawon, that is a lacy leaf on that maple! I'll have to look it up. Last fall I got a Full Moon and an August Moon maple, still in containers until the construction guys quit stomping around the garden.

It sure does hide your Sunlight Child. I agree SChild is nicely proportioned with the short flower scapes. Very easy to get the whole plant, blooms and all, up close.

This year, remember to "take more pictures." That is my mantra. I cannot believe how easy it is to miss some of them again and again. In my case, I mean. Very skimpy coverage as a whole. There is something to be said about lined up in straight rows, but what's the fun in that.

o

Dgregory, nice looking new bed. I have a couple at that stage too and planted ferns around the tree just like you. What are the ferns you used?

o

Moc are all of your hundreds of plants in pots or are they planted in the gounds now? I just can't imagine having to water all of them unless you have a watering system? Love all the ones you choose but have to just try not to remember too many names lol I have bought too many myself but planted mine in beds. Poor Myrle keeps busy watering when we go somewhere and have mine to look after besides hers. Guess this is all her fault for getting me hooked .. hey Myrle! But she loves to see her grand babies grow... I just want them all as big as her's are.

o

More S's

Sea Ebony - as it matures the leave texture should pebble up
Hosta 'Sea Ebony'

September Sun - August Moon sport
Hosta 'September Sun'

Sergeant Pepper - still yound
Hosta 'Sergeant Pepper'

Sleeping Beauty - Halcyon sport, wish my Halcyon grew like this one
Hosta 'Sleeping Beauty'

Striker - venusta sport
Hosta 'Striker'

Summer Music - a struggle for some to grow, but one of my favorites. Slowly getting bigger. Shade Master sport
Hosta 'Summer Music'

Summer Olympics - Alex Summers sport, nice upright form
Hosta 'Summer Olympics'

Sunshine Glory - potted a couple of years ago after it almost disappeared, ferns are from little balls/bulbs that dropped from another pot - trying to take over.
Hosta 'Sunshine Glory'

Paul

o

irawon wrote: "Dgregory, nice looking new bed. I have a couple at that stage too and planted ferns around the tree just like you. What are the ferns you used?"

Thank you! I really liked the way it turned out. The bed was planted in 2011 and the photo is spring 2012. After much reading (um, lurking actually)on this forum, I decided the hosta were in root competition with the Shag Bark hickory. So I made the decision to pot 'em up. As I dug each hosta, it was confirmed, tree roots were swallowing up hosta roots. Guess I'm completely a hosta pothead now ;-)

The ferns are still in the ground (for now). On the right is Robust Male fern (Dryoperis Complexa) and the on the left is Dixie Wood fern (Dryopteris x Australis). I planted Cinnamon fern around the back, but it didn't survive the 2012 drought.

Deb

o

My best Sagae,but all of you have seen it,ad nauseum! Phil

Photobucket

o
RE: Hosta Sharp Dressed Man..

I got this one from the man himself,Bob Solberg back in 2009. Phil

Photobucket

o

There sure are some great S's. Here is a couple more pics.

Stilletto

photo IMG_0107.jpg

Sugar Snap

photo IMG_0245_zps7ad2754a.jpg

o

Photobucket
H SEA DREAM

Photobucket
H SPARTAN GLORY

o

Sea Thunder. Wow. So many beautiful hosta. It's February. It's Minnesota. It's snowing. Nice to think of spring.

o

Striptease in a pot with impatiens and ivy.

o

I don't have a picture of my young Sagae in the summer, but here is a picture in the fall.

Sagae photo Sagae_zpsf7bc8e24.jpg

o

Wow newhostalady - what a fabulous photo - looks like a painting. Find a contest to enter....
Jan

o

Swirls, in spring 2012

o

Sea Octopus (with weeds, sorry....) spring 2012

Sorry for 2nd individual upload .... haven't figured out how to do multiples. This is only my second time. Will get it sorted quick-like!

o

Sea Thunder in May

o

Sky Dancer in May 2012

o

Sergeant Pepper May 2012

o

Sky Dancer (from Myrle 2012)

o

Stetson

photo Stetson.jpg

Striptease

photo Stripnorm.jpg

Spilt Milk

photo Spilt.jpg

These last two are not mine...

Stargate

photo HostasaleStargate.jpg

Stained Satin

photo HostasaleStained.jpg

tj

o

TJ,

Tell us about your Stained Satin. I see your pic on the Library is the most mature one. I know it's a sport of LS Black Satin. Does yours turn white in the middle? Does it grow for you? Where did you get it from? Is it fertile?

Steve

o

Steve, those last two pix aren't my plants (hence my note, "These last two are not mine..." lol). I can ask the owner about Stained Satin when I see him next. He's quite a nice gentleman, very willing to share info and lives locally.

tj

P.S. I showed these pix (among others)last spring and it was suggested I get them submitted to the Library. I finally remembered last month and Bob graciously posted them.

Here is a link that might be useful: My old post

o

Stained Glass

10 20 2012 - Primex - Stained Glass 001

Sharp Dressed Man

PA200186

IMG_2402

IMG_2369

IMG_2369

o

Phil, can never get enough of your Sagae pictures. Same goes for the lovely autumn gold of NewHostaLady's Sagae. Keep em coming!

AlmostHooked, most of mine are in pots. Yes. Currently only THREE TOTAL are in the ground. It helped that our early months of growing season were wet. It got dry late in the summer, and I was able to keep up. Although, I must admit, I was moving pots around like musical chairs seeking the shade before any croaked. The most trouble came with the smaller hosta in individual small pots. I learned to mass them into bowls sort of, 4 or 5 together. It really helped to keep up with the watering when I added an OLLA (water jug) to the middle of the bowls. I think I will make some of the unglazed ceramic jugs myself this year, keeping a lid over the top to avoid skeeters and dirt and falling leaves. Plus, with some hosta bought as multiples and cheaper or tougher than the prima donna newer varieties, I will be testing them in the ground where shade dominates most of the year.

Windchime2011, first time I've seen your posting, and so pleased to say HELLO....unless you are one returning from a long hiatus? Really nice plants in your pictures.

o

Hi There MoccasinLanding! Thank you for the kind words. I did join back in 2011, but never had time to learn how to post picts, although I'm on here year round looking at everyone else's! Thank you again, and you'll be seeing me around. I've got to join a photo-hosting site so I can post multiple picts the correct way. Thanks again!

Windchime2011

o

Windchime, the GardenWeb uploader limits you to one upload per post, something which was new late in 2012. It is convenient for that quick jobby when you have few to do.

In order to do multiples, you might find having a Flickr or Photobucket account (you upload your photos there and thence to GWeb) appropriate. But it doesn't matter to anyone else on the forum how you choose to do it. I personally prefer to use Flickr, and I have it possible to take pics with my smartphone or Android tablet and send them straight to Flickr with a little app.

The HTML code in the "share" section above each photo is what allows the picture to appear in the forum. Check it out when you feel the need.

You are arriving at the best time of all, when the pulse of hosta gardening quickens on the forum, and more folks return from winter dormancy along with their gardens.

o

A couple more Stripteases,if you will. Phil

Photobucket

o

Jan and moccasinlanding: Thank you for the compliment on the fall Sagae photo. I am trying my best to see if I can get some great hosta pictures---but it sure can be challenging. It's very encouraging to hear positive comments.

My favorite pictures on this thread: first of all---all the Stained Glass photos---I definitely need to get at least one!

Steve Mass: Beautiful Satisfaction and Stingray flower bract.
Hippieindenial: Of course I am loving your Stained Glass photo, but I also love your Spilt Milk. Last year a hosta grower asked me if I liked that hosta and I said "no." But now I am liking it more and more. I like the shape of the leaves and the overall shape of the plant. I think the streaks of white add interest.
Berndnyz5: Gorgeous Sum and Substance.
Paul in mn: Samurai catches my eye.
ilove to grow: Your Sum and Substance looks so cute in a pot!
irawon: Your Satisfaction is a wonderful size for year one.
moccasinlanding: Your first Satisfaction has developed such a lovely margin to it. (It's now on my list.)
hostafreak: Great Sagae.

Thanks to everyone posting pictures. It helps to give a good idea as to what to expect in growth, coloring and shape.

I love seeing all the immature and mature hosta. I also love seeing early season pictures, mid season pictures and late season pictures. I must be a hostaholic! (Had I any doubt?)

o

Sagae - This one (not mine) is about six feet wide. I'll take a tape and measure it when I visit Cadysfalls Nursery this year.

o

Sea Fire - emerges bright and early, then turns to light green. Here next to Wide Brim.

Paul

o

My name is 'Spartacus'. Surprised no one has posted. This is second year. Center gets darker and margins to yellow.

Paul

o

This is a leaf of Sundancer,a little known plant,but I have three of them. Phil

Photobucket

o

One more Sagae. My biggest and most vigorous. The bad news is I have to move it soon.

photo DSC_0006-9.jpg

o

Harryshoe, awesome plant. HUGE.
And will you be needing a backhoe to get it out intact?

o

I will definitely need a hand truck because the root ball will be about 18" . Must also wait for a few dry days so I have a prayer of lifting it out of the hole.

I am curious to see how it grows when moved from a partially sunny spot to one of total shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here