Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta S 2012

I don't like formal gardens. I like wild nature. It's just the wilderness instinct in me, I guess. ~Walt Disney

Superbowl of the Ss! Show 'em!

Comments (75)

• plantbug
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

H SEA DREAM

H SPINACH SOUFFLE

H SPRITZER BLOOMS

• irawon
    11 years ago

Mctavish, Sky Prancer and Smoke Signals are on my radar. Yours look beautiful.

Ogre, how old is your Sum and Substance? I like it with Blue Angel. And I like the little angel in between. How old is he? I didn't want to devote as much garden space as S&S would require, so I bought Small Sum. I may have to put it in more sun. Does anyone have experience with this hosta?

H. SMALL SUM (year 2) on June 10, 2012

• irawon
    11 years ago

Plantbug, that's an awesome Spinach Souffle. I took another look at my picture of Luna Moth and they look very similar to me. I checked Zilis and he doesn't say they are similar, so maybe the width of the margin may be different. Do you have both?

Jan, your Sagae looks great with the grasses. What is the grass to its right? Also is that carex 'Ice Dance' with Summer Breeze? I lost mine. Any advice on growing it? I'd like to try again.

Here's another Satisfaction, which I planted in a new bed in 2011.

H. SATISFACTION (one year old) on June 18, 2012

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Summer music

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

All the ones I seem to find have been already posted but what the heck here is no 1st year striptease (2012)

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

leaf of my stained glass

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Spring Fling was planted fall of 2011 , came up in spring with 8 pips and july decided to pop up lots of new growth so should be great 2013 if this is a sign

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

irawon - the grass beside 'Summer Breeze' was just labelled "Japanese Sedge". I just bought it last summer but it really took off and appears as though it could be invasive given a chance. The grass beside 'Sagae' is Northern Sea Oats, one of my very favourites. The seed heads are very elegant and look great dried in vases all over my house in winter. Given a chance I think it too could happiy seed itself around a bit, and the seedlings tend to be deep rooted and difficult to pull out, so I usually cut it back before the seeds start to drop in fall.
    Jan

• irawon
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info, Jan.

Almost, your hostas are really taking off! Nice plants.

Paul I came across a picture of your St Paul that you posted in 2010. It's doing really well here. Here's mine in year five, and still growing despite the tree roots. I keep missing a shot with the margin a blue colour. I hope the blue doesn't disappear with age.

• User
    11 years ago

Awesome photos of well grown hosta. My new plants sometimes look okay, but submitted for documentation purposes mainly.
    I cannot wait for mine to show as well as yours.

Note: I suggest hosta namers look at another letter besides "S." Something like I, J, N, O, Q, X, Y, Z. :)

Sagae -- ordered 2, got 3 big eyes which I stuck in one big pot separately, sharing the frame with a really dark rough Stiff Upper Lip

Sam Spade in June

Satisfaction was my first NOID

Satisfaction, the for-sure hosta, but 2 years younger than the first one (which I bought in May 2010)

Scallion Pancakes has burn around the margins

Second Wind in June

Secret Love shown with another sport of Fragrant Blue

Seducer, very large leaves, very tall petioles, took a while to adjust to our heat in zone 9a

Sentimental Journey...big loose leaves

Short Fat Fanny

Silver Bay newly arrived

Silver Threads Golden Needles and Snow Mouse on far side of this bowl of smaller hosta

Sky Dancer stands out in a crowd

Smooth Sailing definitely a favorite

So Sweet in November

Sparkler in the shadows of Maui Buttercups

Spinach Souffle

Spring Break in June ready to bloom.

Squash Casserole in August

Stained Glass #1 never went dormant last winter and looked like this in February 2012

Stained Glass this photo shows the one I bought thinking #1 would croak on me, but after May or June it finally went dormant for a brief period, and came back like gang busters to bloom late in the year. Here I show #1 and #2 together.

Steffi

Stephen King has red petioles

Stiff Upper Lip is a tough guy with a nice white back, and the cupping increased as summer progressed.

Stitch In Time if this one melts away, it won't be replaced
    Not showing me much

Sugar And Cream in bloom in the shade too

Sugar Babe...Bob Solberg says this is the smallest of the fragrant hosta. Very sweet scent

Sugar Daddy...bought one, decided to pot the 2 eyes separately and locate in different conditions. Too early to see any differences

Sugar Plum...chose this photo to reveal the purple petioles

Sum And Substance....I think this guy (a 5/2010 plant) is going in the ground before springtime 2013

Summer Breeze

Summer Fragrance

Summer Music not in his pot yet

Sun Power in July

Sunny Disposition

Sweet Bo Peep came as a half-pint in spring

Sweet Innocence is a creamy luscious hosta

Sweet Standard, a fragrant streaker

Sweet Sunshine had a hard summer from the drought, but boy what a root system when he arrived!

Sweet Tater Pie

Some in my late season orders arrived dormant including Sweet Marjorie, Sweet Susan, and Sweetie.

• dg
    11 years ago

A young Sky Dancer, it's 1 year with me Sept. 2012.

• dg
    11 years ago

2nd year Sagae. Looked pretty until we got 4 hail storms!

Deb

• irawon
    11 years ago

Moccasin, I'm like you and can't wait to see some of my hostas grow up. I wish bigger plants were available in my neck of the woods as I'm getting up there in age. I don't want my hostas to plant me. I digress and I am supposed to be researching a new washer and dryer BUT before I go I want to show you SUNLIGHT CHILD, which I bought in 2011. I love the fact that the flower scapes are in good proportion to the plant.

SUNLIGHT CHILD, right after planting.

• dg
    11 years ago

2nd year Stained Glass in bloom.

Deb

• irawon
    11 years ago

Talk about the best of plans, here's SUNLIGHT CHILD. My Waterfall Maple grew right over it. So what did I do? I trimmed my Waterfall of course...didn't take a picture though.

• User
    11 years ago

Oh my oh my, Irawon, that is a lacy leaf on that maple! I'll have to look it up. Last fall I got a Full Moon and an August Moon maple, still in containers until the construction guys quit stomping around the garden.

It sure does hide your Sunlight Child. I agree SChild is nicely proportioned with the short flower scapes. Very easy to get the whole plant, blooms and all, up close.

This year, remember to "take more pictures." That is my mantra. I cannot believe how easy it is to miss some of them again and again. In my case, I mean. Very skimpy coverage as a whole. There is something to be said about lined up in straight rows, but what's the fun in that.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Dgregory, nice looking new bed. I have a couple at that stage too and planted ferns around the tree just like you. What are the ferns you used?

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Moc are all of your hundreds of plants in pots or are they planted in the gounds now? I just can't imagine having to water all of them unless you have a watering system? Love all the ones you choose but have to just try not to remember too many names lol I have bought too many myself but planted mine in beds. Poor Myrle keeps busy watering when we go somewhere and have mine to look after besides hers. Guess this is all her fault for getting me hooked .. hey Myrle! But she loves to see her grand babies grow... I just want them all as big as her's are.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

More S's

Sea Ebony - as it matures the leave texture should pebble up

September Sun - August Moon sport

Sergeant Pepper - still yound

Sleeping Beauty - Halcyon sport, wish my Halcyon grew like this one

Striker - venusta sport

Summer Music - a struggle for some to grow, but one of my favorites. Slowly getting bigger. Shade Master sport

Summer Olympics - Alex Summers sport, nice upright form

Sunshine Glory - potted a couple of years ago after it almost disappeared, ferns are from little balls/bulbs that dropped from another pot - trying to take over.

Paul

• dg
    11 years ago

irawon wrote: "Dgregory, nice looking new bed. I have a couple at that stage too and planted ferns around the tree just like you. What are the ferns you used?"

Thank you! I really liked the way it turned out. The bed was planted in 2011 and the photo is spring 2012. After much reading (um, lurking actually)on this forum, I decided the hosta were in root competition with the Shag Bark hickory. So I made the decision to pot 'em up. As I dug each hosta, it was confirmed, tree roots were swallowing up hosta roots. Guess I'm completely a hosta pothead now ;-)

The ferns are still in the ground (for now). On the right is Robust Male fern (Dryoperis Complexa) and the on the left is Dixie Wood fern (Dryopteris x Australis). I planted Cinnamon fern around the back, but it didn't survive the 2012 drought.

Deb

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

My best Sagae,but all of you have seen it,ad nauseum! Phil

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

I got this one from the man himself,Bob Solberg back in 2009. Phil

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

There sure are some great S's. Here is a couple more pics.

Stilletto

Sugar Snap

• plantbug
    11 years ago

H SEA DREAM

H SPARTAN GLORY

• jamie81
    11 years ago

Sea Thunder. Wow. So many beautiful hosta. It's February. It's Minnesota. It's snowing. Nice to think of spring.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

Striptease in a pot with impatiens and ivy.

11 years ago

I don't have a picture of my young Sagae in the summer, but here is a picture in the fall.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Wow newhostalady - what a fabulous photo - looks like a painting. Find a contest to enter....
    Jan

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    11 years ago

Swirls, in spring 2012

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    11 years ago

Sea Octopus (with weeds, sorry....) spring 2012

Sorry for 2nd individual upload .... haven't figured out how to do multiples. This is only my second time. Will get it sorted quick-like!

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    11 years ago

Sea Thunder in May

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    11 years ago

Sky Dancer in May 2012

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    11 years ago

Sergeant Pepper May 2012

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Sky Dancer (from Myrle 2012)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Stetson

Striptease

Spilt Milk

These last two are not mine...

Stargate

Stained Satin

tj

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

TJ,

Tell us about your Stained Satin. I see your pic on the Library is the most mature one. I know it's a sport of LS Black Satin. Does yours turn white in the middle? Does it grow for you? Where did you get it from? Is it fertile?

Steve

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Steve, those last two pix aren't my plants (hence my note, "These last two are not mine..." lol). I can ask the owner about Stained Satin when I see him next. He's quite a nice gentleman, very willing to share info and lives locally.

tj

P.S. I showed these pix (among others)last spring and it was suggested I get them submitted to the Library. I finally remembered last month and Bob graciously posted them.

Here is a link that might be useful: My old post

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

Stained Glass

Sharp Dressed Man

• User
    11 years ago

Phil, can never get enough of your Sagae pictures. Same goes for the lovely autumn gold of NewHostaLady's Sagae. Keep em coming!

AlmostHooked, most of mine are in pots. Yes. Currently only THREE TOTAL are in the ground. It helped that our early months of growing season were wet. It got dry late in the summer, and I was able to keep up. Although, I must admit, I was moving pots around like musical chairs seeking the shade before any croaked. The most trouble came with the smaller hosta in individual small pots. I learned to mass them into bowls sort of, 4 or 5 together. It really helped to keep up with the watering when I added an OLLA (water jug) to the middle of the bowls. I think I will make some of the unglazed ceramic jugs myself this year, keeping a lid over the top to avoid skeeters and dirt and falling leaves. Plus, with some hosta bought as multiples and cheaper or tougher than the prima donna newer varieties, I will be testing them in the ground where shade dominates most of the year.

Windchime2011, first time I've seen your posting, and so pleased to say HELLO....unless you are one returning from a long hiatus? Really nice plants in your pictures.

• windchime2011 MA_Z6a
    11 years ago

Hi There MoccasinLanding! Thank you for the kind words. I did join back in 2011, but never had time to learn how to post picts, although I'm on here year round looking at everyone else's! Thank you again, and you'll be seeing me around. I've got to join a photo-hosting site so I can post multiple picts the correct way. Thanks again!

Windchime2011

• User
    11 years ago

Windchime, the GardenWeb uploader limits you to one upload per post, something which was new late in 2012. It is convenient for that quick jobby when you have few to do.

In order to do multiples, you might find having a Flickr or Photobucket account (you upload your photos there and thence to GWeb) appropriate. But it doesn't matter to anyone else on the forum how you choose to do it. I personally prefer to use Flickr, and I have it possible to take pics with my smartphone or Android tablet and send them straight to Flickr with a little app.

The HTML code in the "share" section above each photo is what allows the picture to appear in the forum. Check it out when you feel the need.

You are arriving at the best time of all, when the pulse of hosta gardening quickens on the forum, and more folks return from winter dormancy along with their gardens.

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

A couple more Stripteases,if you will. Phil

11 years ago

Jan and moccasinlanding: Thank you for the compliment on the fall Sagae photo. I am trying my best to see if I can get some great hosta pictures---but it sure can be challenging. It's very encouraging to hear positive comments.

My favorite pictures on this thread: first of all---all the Stained Glass photos---I definitely need to get at least one!

Steve Mass: Beautiful Satisfaction and Stingray flower bract.
    Hippieindenial: Of course I am loving your Stained Glass photo, but I also love your Spilt Milk. Last year a hosta grower asked me if I liked that hosta and I said "no." But now I am liking it more and more. I like the shape of the leaves and the overall shape of the plant. I think the streaks of white add interest.
    Berndnyz5: Gorgeous Sum and Substance.
    Paul in mn: Samurai catches my eye.
    ilove to grow: Your Sum and Substance looks so cute in a pot!
    irawon: Your Satisfaction is a wonderful size for year one.
    moccasinlanding: Your first Satisfaction has developed such a lovely margin to it. (It's now on my list.)
    hostafreak: Great Sagae.

Thanks to everyone posting pictures. It helps to give a good idea as to what to expect in growth, coloring and shape.

I love seeing all the immature and mature hosta. I also love seeing early season pictures, mid season pictures and late season pictures. I must be a hostaholic! (Had I any doubt?)

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

Sagae - This one (not mine) is about six feet wide. I'll take a tape and measure it when I visit Cadysfalls Nursery this year.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

Sea Fire - emerges bright and early, then turns to light green. Here next to Wide Brim.

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

My name is 'Spartacus'. Surprised no one has posted. This is second year. Center gets darker and margins to yellow.

Paul

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

This is a leaf of Sundancer,a little known plant,but I have three of them. Phil

{{gwi:931026}}

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

One more Sagae. My biggest and most vigorous. The bad news is I have to move it soon.

• User
    11 years ago

Harryshoe, awesome plant. HUGE.
    And will you be needing a backhoe to get it out intact?

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

I will definitely need a hand truck because the root ball will be about 18" . Must also wait for a few dry days so I have a prayer of lifting it out of the hole.

I am curious to see how it grows when moved from a partially sunny spot to one of total shade.