Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

hosta V 2012

Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity. ~Lindley Karstens

V'e all want to see your Vs!

Comments (17)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Valentine Lace

Victory yr 2

Steve

• weekendweeder
    11 years ago

Haven't played in awhile! Here is Vim and Vigor, still a baby:

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Valentine Lace is my one of two V's but can't find a picture of my Vinny so will let Myrle post her's as it is much larger

• Ludicious Acres
    11 years ago

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Not a lot of v's so I'll post 3 of this one. It goes through very nice changes over the summer and is a good grower.

This is my name for one that looks a lot like Gold Drop but grows much better (at least for me)

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

Hosta Victor

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

ilovetogrow - Thank You for posting the Hosta Alphabet threads!

Velvet Moon - 2nd year, Abiqua Moonbeam sport

ventricosa Aureomaculata

Verna Jean - 1st year

Victor - a bit confused on what he's supposed to be when he grows up - Whirlwind sport

Vivacious - 1st year liner

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

Ahhh, Ludi, love the Volcano Island with the irregular green margins and a medium green middle. My favorite combo is lighter mid-leaf with darker margins. Nice one.

Victory...bought x2 came with 3 eyes, which early on I planted separately. As my stash of pots increased, I rethought it and put all 3 in one pot just before dormancy.

Venus...just before it was diagnosed with HVX and sent back

Verna Jean (with White Dove to its left)

Verna Jean again in August

Van Wade Blue I won't show, because he arrived near dormancy, but wait till next year! It's a big one.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

My only 'V' is 'Vulcan'.

• plantbug
    11 years ago

H VENTRICOSA AUREOMARGINATA

• timhensley
    11 years ago

My ventricosa Aureomaculata. In the spring it's one of my favorites. The one year I tried to grow seedlings out of it I got a couple of streaky seedlings, however, they didn't survive the first winter. Looking at this photo I think I'll try again.

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

I'm so glad that I am getting venticosa Auromaculata this spring (already bought and paid for). It's very hard to find here in Canada.

• User
    11 years ago

I appreciate it, hippie, that you mentioned ordering ventricosa aureomaculata.....oh my, Hosta Library shows this gorgeous gold leaf with dark green margins, my most favorite combination, how could I have missed it! Now to pick the nursery. Thanks.

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

ventricosa Aureomaculata goes green pretty fast. Here is a comparison, pics are 6 days apart in May. It will go darker in center than these examples

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 23:24

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Paul, those pictures of ventricosa Aureomaculata are really interesting. What a change in such a short time. I know about the Chlorophyll issue with plants going green. The warmer it is the sooner they can make (or use?) Chlorophyll and turn green. There seems to be big differences in how this works. On Stage for instance will go green unless it's exposed to the sun, then it will stay yellow. Is that because it's going green and bleaching out at the same time? Whirlwind in shade doesn't go green but it sure does in the sun. Fascinating these plants.

• garden_crazy
    11 years ago

first year Valley's Glacier

• User
    11 years ago

Plantbug, I was puzzled for a while about the one you posted a bit above the latest shot of ventricosa Aureomaculata.

Then I compared and realized, I'd overlooked the name.....
    ventricosa AureoMARGINATA.

What's in a name.....a whole lot of information once you read it correctly! Thanks.