Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hosta V 2012

Posted by ilovetogrow none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 8:44

Gardening is about enjoying the smell of things growing in the soil, getting dirty without feeling guilty, and generally taking the time to soak up a little peace and serenity. ~Lindley Karstens

V'e all want to see your Vs!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hosta V 2012

Valentine Lace
Valentine Lace yr1 photo DSC00601.jpg

Victory yr 2
Victory yr 2 photo Victoryyr220120529_zpsb19a1f9d.jpg

Steve

o

Haven't played in awhile! Here is Vim and Vigor, still a baby:

Vim and Vigor photo IMG_1898_zpsb8f2d332.jpg

o

Valentine Lace is my one of two V's but can't find a picture of my Vinny so will let Myrle post her's as it is much larger

o

• Posted by Ludisia 7a Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 11:39

IMG_2392

o

Not a lot of v's so I'll post 3 of this one. It goes through very nice changes over the summer and is a good grower.

Valley's Chute the Chute , May

Valleys Chute the chute 7-25-12 (129)

Valleys Chute the chute 10-11-12 (46)

This is my name for one that looks a lot like Gold Drop but grows much better (at least for me)

vinnie pot 7-25-12 (106)

Vulcan 6-13-12 (166)

o

Hosta Victor
Photobucket

o

ilovetogrow - Thank You for posting the Hosta Alphabet threads!

Velvet Moon - 2nd year, Abiqua Moonbeam sport
Hosta 'Velvet Moon'

ventricosa Aureomaculata
Hosta 'ventricosa Aureomaculata'

Verna Jean - 1st year
Hosta 'Verna Jean'

Victor - a bit confused on what he's supposed to be when he grows up - Whirlwind sport
Hosta 'Victor'

Vivacious - 1st year liner
Hosta 'Vivacious'

Paul

o

Ahhh, Ludi, love the Volcano Island with the irregular green margins and a medium green middle. My favorite combo is lighter mid-leaf with darker margins. Nice one.

Victory...bought x2 came with 3 eyes, which early on I planted separately. As my stash of pots increased, I rethought it and put all 3 in one pot just before dormancy.
Hosta12July009

Venus...just before it was diagnosed with HVX and sent back
Hosta 'Venus'

Verna Jean (with White Dove to its left)
Hosta12June286

Verna Jean again in August
Hosta12Aug033

Van Wade Blue I won't show, because he arrived near dormancy, but wait till next year! It's a big one.

o

My only 'V' is 'Vulcan'.

H.'Vulcan' photo june62012045.jpg

o

Photobucket
H VENTRICOSA AUREOMARGINATA

o

My ventricosa Aureomaculata. In the spring it's one of my favorites. The one year I tried to grow seedlings out of it I got a couple of streaky seedlings, however, they didn't survive the first winter. Looking at this photo I think I'll try again.
Hosta Ventricosa Aureomaculata photo 02727A4C.jpg

o

I'm so glad that I am getting venticosa Auromaculata this spring (already bought and paid for). It's very hard to find here in Canada.

o

I appreciate it, hippie, that you mentioned ordering ventricosa aureomaculata.....oh my, Hosta Library shows this gorgeous gold leaf with dark green margins, my most favorite combination, how could I have missed it! Now to pick the nursery. Thanks.

o

ventricosa Aureomaculata goes green pretty fast. Here is a comparison, pics are 6 days apart in May. It will go darker in center than these examples

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 23:24

o

Paul, those pictures of ventricosa Aureomaculata are really interesting. What a change in such a short time. I know about the Chlorophyll issue with plants going green. The warmer it is the sooner they can make (or use?) Chlorophyll and turn green. There seems to be big differences in how this works. On Stage for instance will go green unless it's exposed to the sun, then it will stay yellow. Is that because it's going green and bleaching out at the same time? Whirlwind in shade doesn't go green but it sure does in the sun. Fascinating these plants.

o

first year Valley's Glacier

o

Plantbug, I was puzzled for a while about the one you posted a bit above the latest shot of ventricosa Aureomaculata.

Then I compared and realized, I'd overlooked the name.....
ventricosa AureoMARGINATA.

What's in a name.....a whole lot of information once you read it correctly! Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here