Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

New Challenge: It's an About FACE!

hostanista
10 years ago

Name a hosta and most people on this forum can picture exactly what it looks like.

Name a MEMBER of this forum however and well...... aren't you curious to put a FACE to the NAME?! Let's FACE it, I can't even tell if some of you are boys or girls!

Now that the Hosta Alphabet is over, and before the 2014 Hosta season gets into full swing, how about some FACE-to-FACE time? Take a selfie right now!

Comments (178)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

LOL he's a cute little guy, Jadie! Looks like he's inherited your great smile; Once he gets his big-boy teeth, it'll be a ringer!

Don B.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Beautiful babies, all of you. So happy to hear that your quest was successful, Melissa. She has your eyes.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi, Hillbillyhosta. Anybody ever tell you ya kinda look like that guy in '300'?

"My favorite hosta...THIS...IS...SPARTACUS!" LOL

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, May 2, 14 at 1:24

• hillbillyhosta
    9 years ago

Don b . No not been told that before but thanks .

• flowerchild59
    9 years ago

Here I am, giving my youngest child a love hug. I do believe there was alcohol involved on that New Years Eve due to the extreme smile on my face.
    Cheryl

• flowerchild59
    9 years ago

I thought the same thing to Hillbilly.

• luckykat13
    9 years ago

I don't know how I missed this! Love seeing all of you. This is me and Lucky. I'm the blonde:). Sorry if it's sideways. It's an iPad selfie.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I thought I'd join all you glamorous folks and add my photo which was taken today.

Don - I knew you would be tall - dark and handsome!

Ludi - You are the shocker. Everyone thought that you were a lot older - like me...HA HA!

1995 - Always a flower girl

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 13:10

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

How fun :) I have enjoyed looking at all of the faces behind the names! This is a pic from last October - the day we adopted our new kittens from a rescue in Philadelphia. We drove all the way from NC to get them. I'm the one with the glasses, and pictures with me is Stevie. We also adopted his sister, Helen. They are 10 months old today!

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Missed this one too
    Visiting the Shire

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hi mbug; Great pic. Where is that?

Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

What a great thread! I found the last pic of me that was taken, and it was taken on Christmas Day, that is my daughter beside me.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

And just so my son (who is really still a little boy) doesn't feel left out :)

• mbug_gw
    9 years ago

Don
    That was at taken at Paxon Hill Farm in New Hope PA.
    Great nursery...terrific selection of perennials
    and wonderful theme gardens.
    The shire and "Hobbit House was just completed

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

The only shock for me was hippieindenial. I really expected someone older with that screen name. She's just a youngster!

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

*bump* for this big 'ol thread...

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

Loved looking through this and putting faces to the screen names. Its nice to read a post and know a bit more about the person on the other end. I did notice one pic was missing, unless I overlooked it. Ken where is yours?Would love to put a face to the man behind the quirky style of writing and sarcastic humor. However I do understand not wanting to post one. I'm not a pic person, actually ban them when family is taking photos. Taken at the start of summer by my 8yro with the ipad.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

13th post down, there's a pic of our hostabuddies Phil and Ken. He looks like a nice fellow...

Don B.

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

What a great idea. I feel like I'm on a hosta dating website! I'm actually awaiting the arrival of a hosta order but I think Dorothy Benedict stood me up. Story of my life :) I realize I'm making a fatal error posting right below bungalow monkeys. She's gorgeous and I look like some one on the most wanted list. It is nice putting some faces to names. I had no idea Don was George Clooney. This is the internet and everything posted on it is true. I'm a French model. Bonjour everyone ;)

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Here I thought Mbug was a woman all this time - lol.

Mac - Silly guy! I saw your commercial - lol

DD

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

I'm a newbie that just loved the warm welcome, fantastic Hosta pictures, and what I am learning from all of you. I'm the guy in the pic giving a tour of our manufacturing plant to a U.S. Congressmen (or woman if you prefer). I'd rather do some pics in front of my Hosta but they are not ready for prime time yet since they have only been in the ground 10 days. Plus let's be real, I wanted to go with the one that makes me look like Brad Pitt :(
    or as my wife says, Brad S....

John

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

It's unfortunate that you cannot edit a posting you have made on these old Gardenweb threads, I noticed the picture of me and mini-me is missing from my post for some reason, so I'll have to try and find it again when I get back home.....

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Pieter- When (if) you are able to find it, put it in your personal profile info and it will show up each time you post, and the whole world will be able to see you...even some of those face recognition programs, so I hope you have led a clean life. haha. Paranoid here.

-Babka

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago
    Looks like a good time to bump this post up. Any newbies or past party poopers can post their pics and/or add them to their profile.
  • Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Babka, the picture in question was uploaded to the old Gardenweb server and for some reason it doesn't show up in the thread. It's not in my Photobucket album and I cannot edit my original posting to insert it, what a shame. I won't bother making an addition on the current bottom of this thread as comments were made that are now totally out of place and context.

With the limitations we have with respect to picture sizes and having to upload them to the Houzz server for them to be displayed rather than being able to use either Flickr or Photobucket I can see myself posting virtually no more pictures on here and just limit myself to an occasional comment, I'll swing most of my activities back to Hallson's.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I go to Hallson's forums often, but you CAN download your Photobucket things here. I'll try to link to the thread that goes to the way how to do it, but w/o a preview here there is no way to tell if I will be successful!

-Babka

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2838820/trying-to-get-a-link-to-work?n=69

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

Babka, as I said in another post:

What people like Myrle and myself have been harping about is the
    resolution Houzz downsizes to, in a word, sucks. While using the above
    guidelines to copy and paste the Flickr/Photobucket url into the Houzz
    photo upload will result in a displayed image, it's still that shitty
    resolution and does NOT link to the original you have in your
    Flickr/Photobucket albums where you could look at that image in a much
    higher resolution and make out much more detail when viewed at that
    higher resolution.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    9 years ago

Ha, I had forgotten about this thread and had in fact forgotten that I had actually posted a pic of me.

• allnitro
    9 years ago

Guess I didn't get in on this one. This is me and our Hosta Dobie Ole almost one year ago.

Jeff

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

allnitro... awh, another doxy lover.. Moccasin is too

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

And here's your handsome baby boy a few months after the above photo was taken.

• allnitro
    9 years ago

And this is the Hosta Doberman Ole now, he has become a handsome deer and rabbit chasing boy.

He did look a lot like a Doxie with long legs for a few weeks.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

He's beautiful, allnitro. Perfect form and looks like the deer and rabbit are keeping him in great shape.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Allnitro, what a beautiful dog! I think I would like dobies.

I love shepherds of all sorts. Protective dogs of all sorts are special. Somehow, I always end up with rescues, though. They seem to show up at my door.

Again. He's a beautiful dog.

bk

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

They make beautiful pets and the one We had when the kids were small was a darling. Must be why we went to the smaller version but never had her ears docked but her tail was.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Pieter, when I hold my mouse over folks' pictures a larger, clearer image is displayed. I don't have Flickr or Photobucket so maybe I'm missing something, but the images I see in the threads appear perfectly clear to me. Are you still having a problem? Is not the camaraderie here sufficient to compel you to overlook a bit of lost resolution? I sincerely hope it is because I enjoy your posts and photos, which continue to be just beautiful.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

You bet I'm still having an issue with this. I'm a detail kind of guy, I've been involved in photography for most of my adult life and I know a thing or two about resolution.

Let's try an experiment, I'll post a picture off my Photobucket account as an embedded image through Houzz at a reduced size, which you see above, and I'll post a link to my PB account to the same picture and you tell me whether or not you see any differences.

PB direct link

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Now I see what some of you more advanced photographers are talking about. The PB direct link is a lot crisper. It does show up a bit smaller on my screen, but, yes, more detail on that one as compared to the one on this page.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Clearly the PB linked pic is clearer and not because it's larger. Use the leaf at 5 o'clock and click back and forth for the obvious difference.

tj

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

Say no more folks, if you care about detail in the pictures you post than Houzz is NOT the place to be.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

I'm with you Pieter. Your example was very clear and to the point. The reduced quality of our pictures is a deal breaker for me. I am still waiting for an update from nearly a week ago when I asked a direct question of Houzz. I wanted to know if they are going to fix this or just let it slide by. The answer from Tamarra was:

"TamaraHi Myrtle! Being able to view larger pictures is in the works. Stay tuned!"

I'm still checking every so often but am fast losing hope. Myrle

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

Welcome to Hallson's, Myrle!

• User
    9 years ago

Bigger doesn't necessarily equal better resolution, does it?

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

Your point is well taken, it all depends on what you start out with. Start off with a hi-res picture, as all of mine are, and each and every time you reduce the size of the picture you loose detail when you compare it with what you started out with. Every time you reduce the size of a picture you loose detail. Period. Start off with a small picture and enlarge it you'll get a larger picture without any more detail, in spite of what you see being portrayed on TV shows you cannot add detail.

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    7 years ago

So this is absolutely the most recent photo of me. Yesterday I was playing "Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head" with my 2 year old granddaughter... she's a real comedienne... I took her picture, and then she said: "My do it?" (Can I do it?)..... So I said "Sure you can take Mommo's picture, and I handed her the phone. Gotta say -- it's a decent photo for a 2 year old. Of course, she's a genius (just like all your children and grandchildren )....

• Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago

Wonderful!!!! And she eats ears too. What fun to be Gramma!

-Love, Babka

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    7 years ago

Yes! It's the most fun!!!! Thanks!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    7 years ago

Your granddaughter is a wonderful photographer----already! Great photo!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!