Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

Two thumbs up for Paula

jan_on zone 5b
10 years ago

...and many thanks, applause, kudos.....
This was (and continues to be) a brutal winter for many, and the hosta alphabet was the highlight of many days for me. Great that our dedicated 'leader' was wiling to post at a ridiculously early hour to get us up and running. And great responses from so many hosta lovers.

Brilliant - whoever originally conceived of the idea. How many years has this been happening?
Jan

Comments (13)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I have no idea of how long the alphabet has been done. Maybe Ken, Babka or Phil will know. I've only been hanging around here for about 5 years, but it's been going on all of that time. This is the first year that I remember having the riddles, though.

Here's to Paula!

bk

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Paula, thank you for your efforts.

Paul

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I don't recall when it all began, but it has been around for a long, long, time. Paula has put a fun, personal touch on it. Now, then, Paula, you did such a wonderful job with the Alphabet this year, we'll be expecting this same grand performance next Winter too!

KUDOS to you, Paula!

-Babka

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Yeah, took me forever to finally figure out how to do the 1/3 thing. I kept trying to do it using algebra, which I am terrible at.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Indeed, thanks for piloting the alphabet again this year, Paula. My 'must-have' list is just ridiculous, out of control. : )

Don B.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

The hosta alphabet is something I look forward to every year. Thanks to Paula for so reliably keeping it going, and big thanks to EVERYONE who posted pictures. I saw new names in both hostas and posters. This year was an EXCELLENT alphabet!

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

I'm with Don, 'the list' is ever growing !!!

But I have to stop and say Thank You to Paula as well, for both her time and effort. It is so appreciated by all, and I know that's why she does it. A very giving soul. While I couldn't hit every letter, I enjoyed drool . . . I mean gazing at all the lovelies. Spring needs to 'sprung' . . . soon !

Thanks again for a job well done ! And to everyone else, it was a lot of enable . . . I mean fun. :p

Ludi

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Thanks Paula.. makes the winter go quicker
    Faye

• User
    10 years ago

Yup, thank you so much Paula, both before and after the Alphabet. Next year you'll have my undivided attention, since the remodel should be long ended.

Talking about the "Must Have" lists....Paula and Don, I am afraid to count mine, just hope DH can be distracted from their arrivals...there is no end to it.

In fact, the nice neighborlady behind us chatted yesterday about selling her home, which we have first refusal on....and I am drooling over the 300 foot x 100 foot wide lot ....plus the vacant house next door to that, for another 300 x 100....I could justify it, couldn't you too? One is very shady. One is mixed with a network of tall canopy trees and understory trees.

I'm not gonna quit until somebody shovels dirt in my face.

• luuk
    10 years ago

You never forget your first time, and this was my first hosta alphabet, ...hehe, thanks Paula !

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'I'm not gonna quit until somebody shovels dirt in my face.'-- Mocc

LOL And WHY should you?? I have a feeling that's a sentiment almost all of us can share, and appreciate.

I just added 'Sombrero' to 'The List' Mocc. Savory has pieces of the OS clump for 50 bucks, or little TC squirts that have been grown out for only a year, for 20 or 30 bucks. I'll spend more to get an OS mature piece. It's worth it to me.

My apologies, Jan, kind of hijacked your thread here. Let us discuss our fragrant fetish on another thread, Mocc. I'll start one.

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

Oops, sorry...just my mind jumps from the temptation of the Alphabet straight into a wish mode. Paula knows...but I was carried away.