Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tepelus

Whoa!

tepelus
11 years ago

When I got on GW this morning, I was surprised to see that it has changed! I joined back in 2007 and it hadn't changed in looks one iota. I think it looks cute. Now to explore around and see what else has changed. What do you think?

Karen

Comments (23)

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

I don't care for it. But I'll get used to it.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 13:51

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

As soon as I saw that they shrank the forum table into a smaller column I knew that people's big pictures wouldn't work any longer, and a quick glance at the alphabet threads shows that. This new table width makes it tough to view :(

• ninamarie
    11 years ago

I find this new format easier to read. However, many of the pop up ads are obliterating the text and the pictures in the posts. Bad design.

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Count me as one who dislikes it. The other way was working just fine. Why mess with it? It doesn't take advantage of the whole page. The font is too small. I do like how white it is as a background and can't remember now if the other way was also white. Unnessaary change annoys me. Myrle

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

To increase column size and pics -- hold down CTRL and press + ..... to make smaller hold down CTRL and press -

Paul

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

You're right Paul, that does make it larger but it also seems to make it less sharp. I think before a medium sized picture saved and posted at 800 say filled a certain space on the page. Now that 800 is in a space 2/3 to 3/4 of what it was before. When you enlarge it to where it would have been before, it becomes increasingly fuzzy. That is why I left Photobucket a couple years ago. They reduced my 900-1000 pictures to 600. They were still shown on the forum as the larger size because that is the way I originally posted them. That made them stretched out of shape and fuzzy. I'm not real clear what part the web site plays and what part my settings on my computer confuse things. Chris you immediately recognized that this new format didn't accomodate the pictures. What do you think?

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

The only good thing about the new format is the printed page is easier to read. Other than that,it is the pits! Phil

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I'm not happy with the new format. If I want to see Garden Web "skinny" I'll use my tablet, but I have this nice big 20" PC monitor for hosta viewing, and this new format just wastes so much of the screen space. Grumble, grumble.

-Babka

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

I can't see a whole lot of difference on my computer except the new colors and graphics, and the forums listings.. Photos still look the same, a bit bigger even maybe. The font seems the same. Maybe because I have my computer magnification set to make it easy for me to read.

Sandy

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Use Firefox with Adblock. You get lots of white space that way. Looks nice and clean.

Steve

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

I find the new font too thin & somewhat shadowed, so less crisp. Even when making it larger, it is harder to read & caused me to squint... gave me a migraine headache yesterday.

I can't figure out how to fix it, so I don't get another headache. Any other suggestion?

I've commented to GW 2x.

Corrine

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

My only complaints are
    - the camera on the Dino post which does not have a picture in it,
    - and the light blue and light mauve which are too light for my eyes.
    Otherwise it is usable.

I do not understand why text has to be made less sharp. That is like dim light in a restaurant so you can not read the prices.
    Have a good one!
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 12:51

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

I never thought it was too bad until seeing all the pictures. They may as well be on the iphone as even all the sharp,large pictures that some have sent look not as impressive as before. What was the advantage? It too gives me a headache after being on even 5 minutes Is there any reason they can not go back to the old format?.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

I find it hard to look at, maybe it's older eyes.

• don_in_colorado
    11 years ago

A few days ago, I said I didn't care for it. Let me rephrase that....I hate it.

Don B.
    Westminster, CO.

• User
    11 years ago

The first few days, I found the color change refreshing, but now, I am missing the pictures. Yeah, I think they are using the same photo sizing with all the Flickr and Photobucket multiples we send in, that they did with the single photo that we could submit for upload to GWeb direct from our computers. As a test, I'll do two pictures, the first from Flickr:

And then the same picture taken directly from my computer and uploaded through GWeb so we'll see any size difference. Maybe.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

In the post the second from your computer shows up smaller, but when clicking on it is nice big.

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

This is the first I am viewing photos and don't like what it does. I have tried the control +/- and while it does make them larger or smaller, they are nothing like the gorgeous pictures I am used to seeing. Maybe we, or Garden Web will figure something out. (This is an appeal, folks)

Moc-your hostas look fab and it appears they love all the rain.
    Theresa

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

ok here is one from my computer, of my blooming hellebore. Lets see.

Sandy

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Corrine commented to Garden Wed. I did too. I encourage anyone else unhappy (seems like most of you) to complain and request the old format be brought back. Myrle

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

I also contacted the Garden Web with my request for the old format to be brought back. Great Idea to voice our dislikes directly.
    Faye

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

My two cents:

Aside from the flickr picture re-sizing issue that some are experiencing, I don't mind the new format. All website designs are updated at some point. Change is not always easy to accept but if GW does not update their website design, they will become outdated. This site design has not been updated since I became a member 4 years ago and I'm sure many years before that. I think it's time for a change. Just imagine if there was only one variety of hosta and the characteristics never evolved.

A big pro that I see with the update is that the pictures are smaller so I don't have to wait for the pictures to load before I can scroll to the bottom of a post (especially if there were 50 posts and I've already read the first 49). Before the change to the GW design, I had to scroll up and down to see some of the pictures as they were posted so large that they were bigger than my screen. That was annoying. Now if I want to see the picture in a larger size, I can simply click on it.

In regards to the font, it is Arial and is one of the most common fonts used. It looks clear, around a size 11, and it is easy to read on my screen.

Vanessa

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

i like the new format better than the old one - easier to read and photos are large enough for me if you click on them.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths